My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 7:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    It really was the change in my o uchi that did it, I think. An extra couple of inches doesn't seem like much, but it made all the difference in the world.

Kenka yotsu is tricky if you're used to fighting ai yotsu, I imagine. My dojo is about 40% lefties -- including my coach and the best guy-- so I get a decent mix of both. And, yes, I bait that foot. I'm working on tsubame gaeshi, but it's very hard. Any lazy outside attack -- especially a lazy hook -- has a decent chance of turning into a nasty uchi mata counter, as I've learned hard way. (My ko soto is now low and driving)

I nearly baited my coach in the tsubame gaeshi the other day. He was impressed that I was waiting for his de ashi barai as I was moving backwards.

What's the line? Pain is the best teacher but no one wants to go to his class? If you fall for the same tricks enough, you eventually learn. Glad to see you (metaphorically) beat that habit out of your student. I imagine he's glad he's actually listening to his coach!
    Now that you have been bathed in the illuminating glow of Judoka UK's wisdom, you can probably see better how to apply what your coach tries to teach you.

I did more than metaphorically beat it out of him, now he is very tough for me to handle in randori, the gaps are closing up. I'm not that great a lefty as far as throws go, other than ashi waza, but I am pretty good at left kumi kata, so it all works out. He is going to throw those lefties for spectacular ippon next season, I am sure. I'm looking forward to it.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 7:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    I'm not sure Judo can help you with that...
    If judo helped, I'd be John Holmes by now (but still alive).

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 10:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shuri Te, Kenpo, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great job of explaining essential footwork, everyone should pay close attention to this. You should not even be attempting throws before this is intact. Honestly makes me want to find a Judo school to shake off some rust.( been striking for last eight years, Judo for first 16.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234