Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Flyweight

Posted On:
    9/27/2010 4:51pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So Cassius, would the tl;dr version of that be, "software, not hardware"?

I would like to hear more of your opinion on the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    And, for what it's worth, I actually prefer the cheap disposable aluminum magazines to the heavy as **** steel H&K mags or the chintzy magpul ones. I know a lot of other people that do as well.
    I recently picked up a AR and have been adding a couple things to it to make it fit my needs better. One of the first things I did was buy a Magpul magazine because I thought the aluminum mags I got with it felt flimsy as hell.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    9/27/2010 4:54pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait, it's possible to damage a firearm from over cleaning? How??
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    9/28/2010 8:35pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    Wait, it's possible to damage a firearm from over cleaning? How??
    Dental pick OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again, immersing the firearm in water and then not drying it properly, using products that aren't meant for firearms (like shaving cream) to clean them, sandpaper . . . anything to get the carbon out.

Privates are stupid, what can I say?

On the other hand, it's mainly the fault of a lot of military units that enforce an unreasonable standard of cleanliness. The Army standard for "clean" means no carbon and completely dry. Anyone that has ever owned a firearm knows that you store weapons with a light coat of lubrication to keep them from rusting.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2010 5:37am

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simio de las Rocas View Post
    I bet none of you have tried to carry 400 7.62mm + Magazines, in addition to another 400 in link for GPMG as part of your daily load.

I'm fairly glad of 5.56mm to be honest.
    Here here!
    Also, Cassius made some fine points.

The only thing I will add, is that I read a few studies done post WW2, and here, studies post the 73' war. These studies led to the transition to smaller caliber rounds.
    The main conclusions from those studies, was that what won firefights was the volume of fire much more than the accuracy, thus the decision to change from big-ass rounds, few mags with few bullets in them, to smaller caliber, more ammo on the soldier for the same amount of weight, which made sense to me, as I had to shlep that **** around.

BTW
    I read somewhere (doubt it's official or true) that Delta still carries 1911 as their sidearms, that my friend, as you know, is no tiny handgun.

Oh, and yes, weapons can be damaged from over-cleaning.

Posted On:
    9/29/2010 6:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidi View Post
    BTW
    I read somewhere (doubt it's official or true) that Delta still carries 1911 as their sidearms, that my friend, as you know, is no tiny handgun.
    They carry glock 19s.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2010 6:23am

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They carry glock 19s.
    Oh, ok, that's a good gun, it's very popular here as well in the SF community.

Posted On:
    9/29/2010 7:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing that people don't take into consideration with the Spec Ops community is that while they have large budgets, they're still not unlimited, and ammunition is pretty expensive if you shoot a lot. So it makes sense to use weapons that are chambered in the same caliber as the rest of the military because then most of your ammo budget is taken care of by the regular military.

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 2:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dental pick OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again, immersing the firearm in water and then not drying it properly, using products that aren't meant for firearms (like shaving cream) to clean them, sandpaper . . . anything to get the carbon out.

Privates are stupid, what can I say?
    WFT!?!?! In a truly desperate situation, I could imagine using gasoline (solvent) and motor oil (lubricant) as a field expedient alternative to high end gun products, but shaving cream? What is that even supposed to do?

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 2:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    O.k., quick and dirty!

The big move towards smaller bullets was to save weight and resources.

You will find that they also moved to very high velocities to compensate for the low mas of the small bullet. (5.56 nato SS109 62grn bullet flying at 3100fps ZING!!!)

As for the "reduced stopping power" stories. There's a bit of video and photographic evidence out there showing one of those "poodle shooter" rounds opening the human head like a peeled orange.

WARNING, THIS VIDEO IS EXTREMELY GRAPHIC:
    LiveLeak.com - !WARNING! Graphic Raw Video! Sniper Head Shot of Red Shirt Protester and Aftermath

As you can see, the 5.56 gets the job done just fine.

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 4:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    WFT!?!?! In a truly desperate situation, I could imagine using gasoline (solvent) and motor oil (lubricant) as a field expedient alternative to high end gun products, but shaving cream? What is that even supposed to do?
    That's the worst part. They don't do this in the field. They do it at home to save themselves the trouble of cleaning a weapon properly, because unscented shaving cream supposedly will dry a weapon out and pull all the carbon out of the metal. I have no idea if this is true or not, but it is a very popular rumor.

What can tell you is that when people do it and then don't immediately clean it all out, it fucks the weapon up pretty badly. We just had to turn in a 240 that was green on the inside due to some shaving cream treatment that a couple privates tried to do to it. Which is hilarious, since they probably walked right past the solvent tank on the way out the door to buy the shaving cream.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast