Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/11/2010 4:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    There's no wonder it's so difficult to throw someone when you have to keep in mind the above!
    and the real kicker is that once you learn it, you have to get it back out of your mind!

My teacher stresses that Judo is an existentialist activity. I tend to plot out my attack, and then either wait for Uke to step just right so i can execute a throw, or to force them to make such a step. While i am busy plotting and waiting, i miss at least one throw opportunity for each step we take. What i need to do is to make the appropriate attack to what Uke presents, rather than force the situation to my expectations.

To overcome this, i try to attack constantly (well, i need to improve my cardio, so i don't keep it constant!) when i'm in randori. As my teacher says, a failed attack teaches us more than failing to attack.

Posted On:
    10/11/2010 5:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wonko221 View Post
    and the real kicker is that once you learn it, you have to get it back out of your mind!

My teacher stresses that Judo is an existentialist activity. I tend to plot out my attack, and then either wait for Uke to step just right so i can execute a throw, or to force them to make such a step. While i am busy plotting and waiting, i miss at least one throw opportunity for each step we take. What i need to do is to make the appropriate attack to what Uke presents, rather than force the situation to my expectations.

To overcome this, i try to attack constantly (well, i need to improve my cardio, so i don't keep it constant!) when i'm in randori. As my teacher says, a failed attack teaches us more than failing to attack.
    Welcome to stage 2 of debana seeing opportunities and reacting to them. Soon you will progress to stage 3 feeling and reacting instinctively to moments of opportunity. That is ideal Judo.

Posted On:
    10/11/2010 6:06pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wonko221 View Post

I'm right there with ya buddy. I definitely overanalyze and overthink while in randori. I'll try the attacking constantly idea.

Are there any other suggestions for overcoming the too much thought syndrome?

Oh wait, I can answer this: STFU and DO JUDO.

sigh....to the dojo with me.
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    10/11/2010 9:50pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danniboi07 View Post
    I'm right there with ya buddy. I definitely overanalyze and overthink while in randori. I'll try the attacking constantly idea.

Are there any other suggestions for overcoming the too much thought syndrome?
    Sing.

Seriously, play a tone in your head. RATM plays in my head when I play. I try to time the throw when the beats go hard.

For some reason when I do BJJ old country music is playing.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 12:47am

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My instructor tells me that he can hear the hamster running in the wheel in my head and I need to create the opportunity instead of waiting for it.

Coach Josh, I know what you mean. Tonight, in bjj class, it was the Squidbillies' theme song. "My dreams are all dead and buried..."

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 10:11am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whitesnake's Still of the Night works good too.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 10:42am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been catching people with tsubame gaeshi a bit -- to my great confusion. Every time I've used it it's just ... happened. I did not consciously choose to do it. Once it even turned into a pure hand throw off of a fully committed de ashi harai (uki otoshi?). I felt like Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown. But when I try to do the throw consciously (e.g. I bait ko soto), I can't get it. This is what I imagine debana is.

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 10:59am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    This is what I imagine debana is.
    Mushin

Loving Father

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 2:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    This is what I imagine debana is.
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Mushin
    Haha!
    Pretty accurate, though. . .and more than just
    "muscle memory" developed through repetitive
    practice. More even than an instinctual thing.

Although the mind is "unoccupied", the body and
    spirit "acted" on the information that was present.

Very cool.
    `~/

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    10/13/2010 8:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your are still thinking, it's just a non verbal kind of thinking. It operates a lot faster than verbal/talking to yourself thinking. Kinesthetic thinking

Ben
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789