Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2010 1:42pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Has anyone Heard of OSKKF Shorin Ryu?

I will be moving at the end of the year and have found what seems to be a system close to the one I currently train in.

It is the OSKKF

All Okinawan Shorin Ryu Kenshin Kan Karate and Kobudo Federationhttp://www.kenshin-kan.com/

Supposedly the island's largest karate organization.

Everything seems like it would be pretty decent, and Ive talked to the Sensei through email, but I was wondering if anyone from here has heard of the organization or knows of the quality.

Thanks,
    Eric

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2010 1:48pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are they an offshoot of the IOGKF or an independent organization?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2010 1:52pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no idea, they do have a link to their lineage, which seems like it is from the same origins that Gichin Funakoshi came up in, under Matsumura. I don't know anything about the other orgs, but I came across a Dojo in the city I'll be moving to that looks like a legit school. I was just wondering if anyone else was familliar.

THe website says its the largest Okinawan org, and they seem to have dojo's all over. So Far, no red flags have popped up that would indicate a profit oriented school, so I thought Id ask here.

Eric

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2010 2:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The IOGKF comprises all Okinawan karate styles, so I doubt that that they meant it's the "largest". More likely it is the largest Kenshinkan Shorin-ryu organization.

I looked up some on the head of the style Fusei Kise. Says he trained under Hohan Soken and someone named "Makabe".

...Oh. They're claiming direct lineage from Chatan Yara.

Go check the place out, use the aliveness rating scale here on Bullshido. Other than that, I dont' have much to say.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2010 2:08pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well the one you linked looked like Goju, this one is Shorin Ryu. I am only going by what they are saying though, I didn't know much about SHorin Ryu.

However their dues are 50 bucks a month, which is more than what Im currently paying (35), and it is similar in style to what Im studying now, and there aren't alot of options.

I do find it a bit odd that on their facebook page, they have pictures from a 5th dan test, which I would have thought would be highly secretive, as any test in our system is confidential.

Ive only been on here for awhile, but what is the aliveness scale? lol

Eric

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2010 2:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YouTube - What is Aliveness - Matt Thornton

As far as orgs go, if they're not part of a larger org like the WKF or IOGKF (which isn't just Goju, it's all Okinawan karate) it's much more likely that the organization is just by themselves.

I don't know much about what goes on in Okinawa, so I couldn't say if they're the largest there or not. Fusei Kise isn't the only 10-dan there.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2010 2:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your input!
    Most appreciated,
    Eric

Posted On:
    9/29/2010 9:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a member of OSKKF and I quite enjoy it. I haven't trained with them for the past year (work issues), but it is pretty hard core. In my dojo, it is full contact karate with very minimal guards (mouth guards compulsory, box for the guys, chest guard strongly suggested for the girls). It is also very traditional.

Three of the instructors listed as Hanshi Fusei Kise's senior instructors taught me. They are very keen and motivated teachers. The style is a very private style too, generally you can not compete in the style in case people video your kata and try to learn them themselves. The person who said having pictures of a 5th dan grading, I was very shocked at that.

The only downside that I found - with my dojo, can't say this for others - is that they're not overly welcoming of female students (they are, but if you want them to go easy on you... bad luck) which has caused me to be one of 5 female senior enrolled students, so it is a very male dominated style. Otherwise, if you want something that is realistic, full contact and involves weaponry too, try it out.

But not all styles suit everyone, you need to try various ones before you find one you like.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2010 9:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your input.

Now get yer behind into Newbietown and introduce yourself, eh?

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 2:50am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaspa View Post
    The style is a very private style too, generally you can not compete in the style in case people video your kata and try to learn them themselves.
    Does this specifically refer to Kata competitions? Can you compete in matches with other styles?

I don't mean to derail, but very curious.

Everything said so far sounds solid enough that this comment really stood out to me.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti