Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    9/22/2010 8:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Legit people attending bullshit awards ceremonies

Yaknow, those annual Sokeship Council/Hall of Fame/Paper Tigers Tea Party award ceremonies with about 30 different variations of 'martial artist of the year' and 'worlds best soke' awards. Those ones.

I understand that some of these orgs are not above adding the names of legit martial artists to their lists of inductees without the knowledge of the person in question, or inducting MA legends posthumously. However, I don't really understand why legit, respected martial artists actually attend these events in person.

How many times have you guys seen this sort of thing - a proven fake posing for a photo with <person who demonstrably has the real> at the event in which said proven fake was recognised as awesome by <Super Duper Soke Circle Jerk org>? Or guys claiming that their award, and by extension the org that awarded it must be worth something because <person who demonstrably has the real> was there at the award ceremony, or even gave them the award personally on stage?

Any thoughts? It seems to me as though these fellows are allowing themselves to be used to validate frauds. Do they even realize?

I was reading the World Sokeship Councils article on org and it got me thinking about this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2010 12:21am

Style: Muay Thai & Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Free meal,expenses...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2010 12:40am

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****. People have to eat, man. I wouldn't worry about it. The frauds get exposed anyway. I could give a **** who takes a picture with GSP--it doesn't make them a legend in my mind.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2010 2:17am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post

I was reading the World Sokeship Councils article on org and it got me thinking about this.
    A shining example of credible academic objectivity. Go, .org.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2010 10:03am

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Yaknow, those annual Sokeship Council/Hall of Fame/Paper Tigers Tea Party award ceremonies with about 30 different variations of 'martial artist of the year' and 'worlds best soke' awards. Those ones.

I understand that some of these orgs are not above adding the names of legit martial artists to their lists of inductees without the knowledge of the person in question, or inducting MA legends posthumously. However, I don't really understand why legit, respected martial artists actually attend these events in person.

How many times have you guys seen this sort of thing - a proven fake posing for a photo with <person who demonstrably has the real> at the event in which said proven fake was recognised as awesome by <Super Duper Soke Circle Jerk org>? Or guys claiming that their award, and by extension the org that awarded it must be worth something because <person who demonstrably has the real> was there at the award ceremony, or even gave them the award personally on stage?

Any thoughts? It seems to me as though these fellows are allowing themselves to be used to validate frauds. Do they even realize?

My best guess would be that some of these legit guys basically end up being friends (at least in a casual/passing sense) with a lot of other martial artists and are asked to show up as a favor to the "friend" without realizing how much bullshit is involved with the group giving the award.

There are plenty of awards out there that aren't particularly worthwhile or important, but aren't really "fraudulent" so I wouldn't be surprised if the legit guy in question basically assumes it's one of those cases and agrees to come. Unless you know the people running the show are complete fakes, or the guy who asks you to come is a fraud, I imagine they don't exactly put a ton of time into researching the situation. Add to that how many people legit/well known MAers know, and how many business relationships/affiliations/connections they have, and it's likely that at least some of them aren't totally kosher. Finally, I suppose like a lot of people, some guys just have a hard time telling people no when asked to come to some kind of ceremony/event. Think of all the boring crap you don't care about that you've been dragged into attending (I drew the line at a casual friend's kid's grade school "graduation", for the record). It's probably very similar, just with more gis.

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    9/23/2010 10:05am

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomamao View Post
    ****. People have to eat, man. I wouldn't worry about it. The frauds get exposed anyway. I could give a **** who takes a picture with GSP--it doesn't make them a legend in my mind.
    But I have a picture of me with Dan Inosanto, doesn't that mean I'm really good at JKD?

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    9/23/2010 1:46pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin View Post
    But I have a picture of me with Dan Inosanto, doesn't that mean I'm really good at JKD?
    If you told people that and showed them the picture, some of them would believe you without any further questions.

Posted On:
    9/23/2010 2:06pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is why you need to have him throwing a punch at you or headlocking you. Then you have proof that you trained with (insert famous martial artists name here).

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    9/23/2010 3:49pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    That is why you need to have him throwing a punch at you or headlocking you. Then you have proof that you trained with (insert famous martial artists name here).
    Stop being more like Brinn.

@Iainkelt - yeah, you make a valid point. When I was writing my OP, I was thinking to myself 'Na, it's got to be more than that. They'd check it out.' Maybe not...

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    9/23/2010 4:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know two legit bjj black belts that attended like the martial arts hall of fame or whatever. They did it because someone nominated them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast