Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2010 12:10pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    There are very few teachers around who really understand kata in Judo, and who can relate it constructively to randori. I never had much use for Ju No Kata until I recently attended a clinic at our home dojo by a teacher who knew it well enough to teach it and could relate it to other parts of Judo.
    Yup. But it ain't just judo from what I'm hearing.

A former shodan-level karateka who now does judo told me that "the good stuff" in kata bunkai (grappling, low kicks etc.) is very rarely taught all, and it's even rarer to find a dojo that actually does it properly.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/22/2010 5:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoist View Post
    Yup. But it ain't just judo from what I'm hearing.

A former shodan-level karateka who now does judo told me that "the good stuff" in kata bunkai (grappling, low kicks etc.) is very rarely taught all, and it's even rarer to find a dojo that actually does it properly.
    No bunkai in Judo that I know of. It's more a matter of having the years of experience and understanding to know how to teach it and how kata is supposed to be a supportive training method instead of something you just learn to get promoted.

Another issue is that judoka at different experience levels will get different things from kata.

Ben

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/22/2010 5:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    Thanks for that sir. I happen to like kata in martial arts in the same way that I like reading. It may not help me perform the art better, but it helps me connect to what the core of it is I guess.
    In Judo, at least, it CAN help you perform better, with the caveats of a good teacher and what the individual student is ready to understand.

Ben
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123