Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/21/2010 5:56pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sankyu, and I learned the 1st 3 sets.
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    9/21/2010 6:39pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danniboi07 View Post
    Sankyu, and I learned the 1st 3 sets.
    WTF you started from your knees with me.

Kata and Judo is well how can I put this without pissing people off. It is fucking retarded.

Nage no kata has its good points katame no kata is a waste of life's precious moments. Goshin Jutsu is ok. Kime no Kata is neat. The rest I would rather but a hot poker in my eye then have to do.

I know I know technique proper this and proper that and blah blah blah. I am just not a fan. Put it to you like this for my nidan my grade for katame no kata was "pedestrian at best".

Unfortunately I know 4 katas and have to start teaching my brown belts nage no kata and just might force the rest of them to learn it also. I can say this you can learn these off of youtube just as easy as having to sit through a 2 hour diatribe about the significance of kata from some ..... I have to censor myself here, that is all.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    9/21/2010 6:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a traditionalist I only wear white gi, I try and have a classical Japanese style and observe reigi. However, I too think that kata is a flawed training tool for your average kyu grade Judoka all the way up till 3rd dan.

I can appreciate how the more complex conceptual kata like itsutsu and ju no kata may be of use to the most advanced Judoka. However, for your average kyu grade and early dan grade you aren't going to understand it and its of little use to you.

I actually think katame no kata when done properly is a more useful training exercise than nage no kata, because if uke does genuine and unrehearsed escapes it is a decent training exercise. Whereas most people just straight up lack the Judo skills to make nage no kata worthwile and not just an exercise in jumping and cooperation. I know I sure as hell can't throw anyone with Uki otoshi unless they jump for me.

However all the skills you gain through nage no kata and katame no kata can be gained quicker and with more depth through uchikomi, moving uchikomi and nagekomi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2010 7:52pm

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a sankyu. I know it, but am no good at it.

Posted On:
    9/21/2010 9:27pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post

Kata and Judo is well how can I put this without pissing people off. It is fucking retarded.

Nage no kata has its good points katame no kata is a waste of life's precious moments. Goshin Jutsu is ok. Kime no Kata is neat. The rest I would rather but a hot poker in my eye then have to do.

A very senior nidan at my dojo has been procrastinating practicing katame no kata for his sandan. He's had the points for ages and his skills are probably in the yondan-godan range at least -- he's 50; he made shodan at 16.

He'd rather do anything than kata, even though he knows them and learned them ages ago.

Posted On:
    9/22/2010 1:20am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    Indeed. I needed a warmup since I just ran in there and newaza works as a better warmup for me than standing. Next time buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    However, I too think that kata is a flawed training tool for your average kyu grade Judoka all the way up till 3rd dan.

However all the skills you gain through nage no kata and katame no kata can be gained quicker and with more depth through uchikomi, moving uchikomi and nagekomi.
    Depends on how you were taught.

Learning uki otoshi and the way my instructor described pulling it off in the kata forever changed the way I do Tai Otoshi. One might argue that I was doing Tai Otoshi wrong the entire time before, but **** I improved a throw while doing a kata that doesn't even contain that throw.

But now we're getting into a debate on the efficacy of kata in Judo, and that's a whole 'nother thread altogether. One that I'm sure already exists.
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Posted On:
    9/22/2010 1:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danniboi07 View Post
    But now we're getting into a debate on the efficacy of kata in Judo, and that's a whole 'nother thread altogether. One that I'm sure already exists.
    got a link? i looked here but couldnt find it
    http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&s...&start=30&sa=N

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    9/22/2010 7:53am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only reason why Sensei feels we need to learn it is for grading and, to some extent, to get a better understanding of judo, in his mind. I have been training with him for quite some time and he only started bringing up the kata in the past 6 months. Doing it, I do see *some* use in it, much more than any of the hyungs I do in TKD. That being said, I may not be good enough yet to pull off the throws in the prescribed manner in randori or shiai.

I am planning to have the entire 5 sets down before my test in January. It works out for my Uke as well, because he will have more of a jump on it for his test next year.

Thanks for all the replies guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/22/2010 10:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you get out of kata depends on who is teaching it, and ones particular stage in development of Judo.

There are very few teachers around who really understand kata in Judo, and who can relate it constructively to randori. I never had much use for Ju No Kata until I recently attended a clinic at our home dojo by a teacher who knew it well enough to teach it and could relate it to other parts of Judo.

Ben

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    9/22/2010 11:34am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    What you get out of kata depends on who is teaching it, and ones particular stage in development of Judo.

There are very few teachers around who really understand kata in Judo, and who can relate it constructively to randori. I never had much use for Ju No Kata until I recently attended a clinic at our home dojo by a teacher who knew it well enough to teach it and could relate it to other parts of Judo.

Ben
    Thanks for that sir. I happen to like kata in martial arts in the same way that I like reading. It may not help me perform the art better, but it helps me connect to what the core of it is I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast