Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2010 8:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thought on self-training

Before I go on, I truly believe that if you plan to compete then you must spar to even be able to survive.

With that said, a friend of mine put a bug in my ear about training at home. I posted here before on my concerns with the instructors at my school. Although the instructors are great fighters I don't think they make good teachers.

Also, I live in a rather small town where there isn't alot to choose from when it comes to any kind of martial arts. I am lucky to have an mma school in town. I pay about $105 a month to attend a certain set of beginner classes; however, because of work I am not able to make many of them so I am stuck with 2 or 3 classes a week at best.

Plus, there are lots of young bucks in class with hopes of taking their skills to the land of milk and honey so I either end up with a workout partner that destroys my forearms when I hold pads for him/her or I get a partner without any experience and I become their instructor to some degree. It isn't often I get someone on my level where the class is mutually beneficial. At most I do get a good sweat in class which is the goal but at $105 a month that can be a pricey goal especially in this economy.

Ok, so, I thought about letting the contract end and build myself a workout gym in my garage. I already know what I need to know of what I want plus I have a friend from the same school that comes over to the house now and then, and we put on the Muay Thai pads and we take turns kicking and hitting.

I'm older and I don't ever plan on competing. I just like the workout.

What are the thoughts out there on this?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/20/2010 8:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you only care about a workout rather than improving your skillset, then there is no issue. I have the same set-up going right now, great home gym with heavy bag.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2010 9:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    If you only care about a workout rather than improving your skillset, then there is no issue. I have the same set-up going right now, great home gym with heavy bag.
    Well, I originally joined the school to get something out of it beyond just an aerobic workout. I want to be a better practitioner of Muay Thai; however, the instructors and the situation don't lend themselves to improving my skillset. During the day the "A level" instructors show up and I've been able to attend some of those classes during days when I have off and the kind of instruction during the day is above what is provided at night. It just is.

Listen, I'm not going up to any instructor and tell him/her that I think they can do better in class. That's a suicide mission. I saw one kid tell one of the instructors that what was taught was too confusing and the kid got emasculated to some degree. I haven't seen the kid since.

I'd like to live in a town where there were lots of schools to select from but I don't. The schools know what they have, I guess, it is supply and demand.

Listen, it isn't a bad school for the right person. Some people who don't know a thing really like how it goes and for alot of people a Muay Thai workout can be rather brutal. I have alot of experience in martial arts so I know what is what for myself and I know it isn't going like I wish it would. That's how it goes in a classroom setting, I guess. They have to cater to the lowest denominator. The school does offer one on one training but that is big, big bucks and only applies to those guys that are looking to compete at some level.

I'm thinking that I'll let the contract cancel, setup the home gym and if it goes great, done. Otherwise, I can always go back and rejoin.

Actually, now that I read this, I guess I am just trying to convince myself, ha!

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    9/20/2010 9:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you know you'll stick with it even without a "class" to get you motivated to train then great. Personally, unless I have a fight on the horizon, I find it difficult to make myself seriously train without someone else to motivate me (and that person could just be someone else that wants to train, not necessarily a coach). Sometimes the training you do with a buddy can be a hell of a lot better than the training you get out of a class. If your instructor isn't putting forth the effort to make you feel good about your training and you have sufficient facilities at home I see no reason to keep shelling out money for the gym.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/20/2010 11:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TxKickBoxer View Post

Actually, now that I read this, I guess I am just trying to convince myself, ha!
    That was the impression I got when you kept telling me to "listen" when I never said anything in that regard, haha.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/22/2010 8:54am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless your workouts are 20minutes long 2-3 times a week is plenty to technically improve. Why not just keep going to class?

edit:
    Honestly, After rereading your posts it sounds like they won't miss you. If you aren't adding anything to the class what is it you expect to get out of the class?

Posted On:
    9/22/2010 9:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mate. If you don't want to do the class don't do the class. You are a big boy now and can make your own decisions.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/22/2010 10:34am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try it out for a while and see what happens. I use a lot of home equipment with people coming over a lot. The only problem I have had is people coming regularly. But that is due to weird shift work. I like being able to go into my garage and get on the bag and get a good workout in, while working on certain techniques. I think that it will be a good addition to your workout, even if you end up going back to the school after a few months.

That 100 dollars can be spent on some good equipment to train on. Then go back in a few months if you don't like it, but you will still have the equipment at the house, for when you are not able to make it to class.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2010 10:22am

Style: MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could just hit the gym.

Hit the treadmill or jog while you're at it. That's a good self defense drill. (running)

I'm not interested in competing as well. I just practice 'cuz I like sparring.
    Last edited by iopyud; 9/25/2010 10:26am at .