Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2010 11:01pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Internal Styles Training

Hi, everyone,
    I picked up CMA recently and am currently learning an older variation of Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan. Almost every posture I have learned so far requires me to squat down till my thighs are parallel to the ground. I want to know if there are some CMA conditioning exercises that I can do in order to increase my lower body strength and stability and therefore improve my postures. I think one way is just to go to the gym and do weight training, but weight training typically does not emphasize whole body coordination. Also my teacher wants my upper body to be fluidic and relaxed while my lower body is solid and stable; I don't know if weight training will help me achieve that. No I repeat my question: other than practicing postures over and over again, I want to know if there are also some exercises tailored towards CMA internal styles practitioners (it does not have to be Tai Chi Chuan exercises; Baqua and Xingyi are also fine with me). I will gladly appreciate any suggestion!

Posted On:
    9/19/2010 11:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The postures are the exercises that help you perform the postures.

Posted On:
    9/20/2010 12:57am

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    The postures are the exercises that help you perform the postures.
    100% correct. so in other words practice more

Maybe add Yoga, but if you just did the above youll be fine. there are no shortcuts
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/20/2010 2:02am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weight training is fine done under proper training parameters. It will not help you with the postures but, will increase your strength.

In other words, you are asking questions about two different training methods that compliment each other.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2010 5:24pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys. This is the answer I thought I would probably get; for now I will just keep practicing postures like I have been doing. Then I actually have another quesiton: I am looking for the traditional Chinese version of Tai Chi classics ( my teacher recommended me to read them for me to understand the underlying principles of Tai Chi Chuan). I looked up on Wikipedia and they seemed to be a collection of literature written by different people. I looked up on Amazon and other major online bookstores and there are English versions of some, but not all of them. I would like to know if any one knows where I can find the whole collection in traditional Chinese version( I read Chinese), maybe some less-known online bookstores where I can buy them or some other sources. Thanks for all the help.

Posted On:
    9/20/2010 10:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good q; I'll ask my teacher, who has a fairly recent edition.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2010 10:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

what does your teacher rec'd?
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/21/2010 11:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for this, but this is not exactly what I am looking for. I have heard of Chen Man Ching; he used to be one of the best Tai Chi fighters in Taiwan after the communist revolution in China. However, I am looking for books written by masters from even older generations, like Sun Lu Tang, Yang Chen Fu, Zhang Sanfeng, etc. I can find some English translations of some of these books, but since I can read traditional Chinese, it would be best if I can get hold of the original versions. I am not looking for books that contain postures, because I can learn those from my teacher; what I am looking for are the principles and the philosophy behind the art. But thanks for your help though, and this book you showed me should be a good book for my reference too.

Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post

what does your teacher rec'd?

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/21/2010 11:56pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.plumpub.com/

They specialize in books in Chinese.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 9/21/2010 11:59pm at .

Posted On:
    9/22/2010 8:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonyao View Post
    Thanks for this, but this is not exactly what I am looking for. I have heard of Chen Man Ching; he used to be one of the best Tai Chi fighters in Taiwan after the communist revolution in China. However, I am looking for books written by masters from even older generations, like Sun Lu Tang, Yang Chen Fu, Zhang Sanfeng, etc. I can find some English translations of some of these books, but since I can read traditional Chinese, it would be best if I can get hold of the original versions. I am not looking for books that contain postures, because I can learn those from my teacher; what I am looking for are the principles and the philosophy behind the art. But thanks for your help though, and this book you showed me should be a good book for my reference too.
    I may be talking rubbish (what's new?) but I would be sceptical on the assertion that "Chen Man Ching" was one of the best Tai Chi fighters etc. Dan Docherty (UK) Practical Tai Chi Chuan wrote in his book Complete Tai Chi that in his opinion, Cheng was NOT a fighter and that he owes his primacy to two things: 1. he was the private tutor to Madame Chang; 2. he was lauded by Robert Smith in "Chinese Boxing Masters & Mastery" (something like that).

Sun Lu Tang. My Tai Chi teacher regards Sun as his Hero. Good enough for me.

Hope this helps.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast