Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2010 10:44pm

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo excels in any situation where you're being grabbed, especially if clothes is involved. You learn a lot about breaking grips, controlling movement, and disrupting balance from all sorts of different positions. It's also useful if someone is trying to hit you, and you grab on to them to prevent strikes. On the ground it's not as good as BJJ, but a good club will still give plenty of attention to it.

Don't expect much in the way of gun disarms or how to deal with multiple attackers. But then again there's no reliable way of dealing with those situations except escaping.

Posted On:
    9/19/2010 10:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think anyone who is fairly athletic with a good sense of balance and significantly bigger than you will prove difficult to throw until you're actually pretty good at Judo, even if they don't have any grappling training.

In short: Judo is good, but don't expect to be throwing huge people after 6 mos. I think it's easier to dominate an untrained person on the ground than it is in standup grappling. OTOH I think Judo would still help you against said bigger person as a newbie, because you'll do a better job controlling them in the clinch and not getting taken down yourself, compared to the easy pickings you'd probably be untrained vs. bigger person.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2010 3:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shorinji kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mentex View Post
    The most important lesson in judo is ukemi: the art of falling. These skills are fundamental if you want to learn judo without sustaining any injury. They come in handy in real life if you were to take a fall these reflexes will kick in. There are many stories about judokas falling from speeding motorbikes, rooftop ceillings, with nothing but scratches.
    My dad did judo when he was younger and actually told me the same thing. In shoriji kempo (the ma I used to practice) they taught us how to roll out of a fall. Is this similar to what you would see in judo?

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    9/20/2010 4:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no. judo throws go straight down. you can roll out of aikido throws.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2010 6:24am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Checking out the judo club today most likely.
    I'll post what I find out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2010 9:31am

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is considered a very good MA for self-defense, it's been incorporated in to the h2h program in most military forces in the world.

You should really do a search here and on judoforum for stories of judo in self-defense if that's what you're looking for.

There's lots of threads about it, you just have to look.

Enjoy Judo, it's great.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/20/2010 4:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    no. judo throws go straight down. you can roll out of aikido throws.
    Some Judo throws you can roll out of, depending on whether or not tori lets go of you or not. Throws like Tomoe Nage, Uki Waza, Yoko Guruma, etc.

Ben

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2010 7:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidi View Post
    Judo is considered a very good MA for self-defense, it's been incorporated in to the h2h program in most military forces in the world.

You should really do a search here and on judoforum for stories of judo in self-defense if that's what you're looking for.

There's lots of threads about it, you just have to look.

Enjoy Judo, it's great.
    Thats cool I didn't know that. Thanks for the info guys. I've heard of alot of this stuff online but I wanted to hear what real people thought of it.
    I most likely will start judo because it sounds more fun for me then bjj which is important because if I dont like what I study I'll never be any good at it.

thanks again

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2010 9:57pm

Style: Bartitsu&German Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, Judo is generally considered better for self defence.. BJJ is generally considered better for fighting other martial artists.[/QUOTE]

That is interesting, I think it should have its' own thread. It would probably generate some good discussion.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    9/21/2010 1:20am

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    Also, Judo is generally considered better for self defence.. BJJ is generally considered better for fighting other martial artists.
    Quote Originally Posted by MGM View Post
    That is interesting, I think it should have its' own thread. It would probably generate some good discussion.
    It would probably result in either stupid animosity or nothing very helpful.

I think the basic argument can probably be summed up something like this. Facts:

• Judo and BJJ are closely related and share many techniques.
    • Judo places more emphasis on standup, ergo judo throws are more refined, and judoka are better at them. Judo competition offers little time for newaza, ergo judoka tend to favour a fast and aggressive ground game.
    • BJJ places more emphasis on groundwork, ergo BJJ groundwork is more refined, and BJJ practitioners are better at it. BJJ competition does not have much in the way of time restrictions for groundwork, ergo it tends to be more deliberate and technical.
    • BJJ commonly has no-gi training and competition; judo typically does not.

Thus an argument could probably be made that judo groundwork is more than sufficient to deal with the untrained, while the realities of self defence makes standing up and good throws is a much better strategy than going to the ground.

The obvious counter to that argument is of course that BJJ takedowns should be more than sufficient to deal with the untrained, while if a real fight does go to the ground it is extremely valuable to be expert at extricating yourself, getting to the top, and getting back up if you so choose.

The other argument in favour of BJJ is that no-gi instruction is widely available while the same is not true of judo. People who think that no one on “the street” wears clothing suitable for judo grips and throws are justly derided; nonetheless it cannot but be an advantage to train in an art that exposes you to training both with and without such grips.

You’ll hopefully notice and feel that I have provided advantages for each art without committing myself to a conclusion. I don’t have one to offer; I believe that all the above is true, that both are effective martial arts for self defence. (You may also notice I do both. Badly, mind, especially judo, but still.)

If I had to vote, I’d probably vote judo, but I wouldn’t do it with much confidence.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast