Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2010 11:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shorinji kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

judo strength

If a judoka is significantly smaller then an attacker would a judoka be able to throw them? Also, what do you guys think about judo in general for self denfense compared to bjj?

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    9/19/2010 12:59pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judoka throw bigger people around all the time. Untrained people of any size are relatively easy to throw even for people like me with crappy Judo.

Judo is just as effective as BJJ for self defense, in some situations more so, in other situations less. There are times when from a legal standpoint throwing someone headfirst into the concrete might prove to be a bad idea, so that can be a disadvantage for Judo, but hitting someone with a planet is definitely a good way to keep them from attacking you.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    9/19/2010 1:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are so many techniques in judo such as sweeps (de-ashi barai) or reaps (osoto gari) that rely very little on strength at all. I would suggest that if by 'throw' you mean take them to the floor then the answer is always yes.

Also, Judo is generally considered better for self defence.. BJJ is generally considered better for fighting other martial artists.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2010 1:34pm

Style: Judo/Roadwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the general rule of thumb is something like: I good big guy will usually beat a good small guy. Strength is an important factor.

Regards,
    Lars

Loving Father

Posted On:
    9/19/2010 1:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    add to this ^^^
    don't try to 'muscle' a bigger/stronger guy

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2010 5:56pm

Style: newbie judo+muay thai.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i find trying to throw small people alot harder. the smaller you are the easier it is to get your hips lower than thiers

Posted On:
    9/19/2010 6:07pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo it seems to me will have better stand up kuzushi, if you can entry for o soto gari that takes their balance properly, then its not too hard to manhandle them into a choke, I haven't done BJJ, but I understand they dont play much standing up, but being able to stand and know how to apply what bodyweight you have against some elses posture is really handy.

Posted On:
    9/19/2010 7:00pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm the second biggest guy in my judo class. I get thrown all the time by the smallest guy. He's a brown belt and I'm a white belt. Sometimes my ego is bruised, often my body is bruised.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2010 7:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shorinji kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the input its much appriciated :)
    Do any of you have examples of situations where you have used judo for self defense?

I'm asking because I'm comsidering joining a local place called spokane judo club and bjj spokane. bjj spokane is far and expensive whereas spokane judo club is reviewed on bullshido Spokane Judo Club - No BS MMA and Martial Arts and is only $20 per month and its close to where I live. The review of spokane judo club sounds impressive for the low price.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2010 10:39pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The most important lesson in judo is ukemi: the art of falling. These skills are fundamental if you want to learn judo without sustaining any injury. They come in handy in real life if you were to take a fall these reflexes will kick in. There are many stories about judokas falling from speeding motorbikes, rooftop ceillings, with nothing but scratches.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast