Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 4:42pm

Style: Weightlifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidi View Post
    Do you have a reference for this?
    Alternatively, what do you refer to by steroids?, since they are sort of an umbrella term and HIV patients take so many different drugs.

I'm asking because I'm fairly interested in the whole steroids thing and I was asking some doctors and a medical VP in a big pharma company, and he assured me that the juice is bad for the athletes, no way around it.
    One of the points he made is that steroids weaken your immune system, which is why I'm asking.
    You would be best off googling as im far to lazy to find sources, testosterone deconate (DECA) is availabe on prescirption here in the UK and that can shut you down hard.

Steroids are used for things such as acene

Steroids been "bad" for you all depends on what study you want to read, the side affects imo are no worse than most legal drugs (and i dont just mean alcohol etc) and most can be combated easily with the right protocols

All these fuckers who just say "stedz r bad mmmk" dont know **** all about them or any one who uses them, let alone uses them properly

I cant see how steroids shut your immune system down and ive read so many conflicting "studies" by different hospitals and colleges, most are biased and have hidden agendas, its possible when you come off them they might make your immune system weaker and also has alot to do with dosage's and compounds taken.

I often take doctors opinions with a pinch of salt

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 5:14pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I cant see how steroids shut your immune system down and ive read so many conflicting "studies" by different hospitals and colleges, most are biased and have hidden agendas, its possible when you come off them they might make your immune system weaker and also has alot to do with dosage's and compounds taken.
    Conspiracy theory much?

There are many different steroids, so this may vary on a case-by-case basis, but certainly and indisputably, at least some steroids are immunosuppressants. In fact, they are used by doctors precisely to shut down your immune system. I owe my life to this: Prednisone, a synthetic steroid, is administered to patients suffering anaphylactic shock. If this steroid didn’t have the effect of suppressing the immune system, I might be dead now.

Some types of steroids are prescribed to transplant patients to prevent rejection of transplanted organs. How do steroids help? Why, by suppressing the immune system that would otherwise cause rejection, of course.

(Plain old testosterone is also an immunosuppressant in at least some species, though I honestly don’t know whether humans are among them. Cf. the evolution of ‘honest advertising’ handicaps in birds, for instance.)

So, no, the notion of steroids suppressing the immune system is not a lie concocted by hospitals and colleges with hidden agendas related to PED use in sports. If you mean to criticise arguments surrounding particular steroids, you’d do well to name them.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 5:20pm

Style: Weightlifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not really relevant though is it, what you on about conspiracy theorys for?

Its the same with most studies, for every positive there will be negatives. And often there is hidden agendas depending on whos funding it as such.

Like the british cheese board reccently did a study saying cheese before bedtime doesnt give you nightmares like previously thought and it actually gives you good dreams :D yet many people have believed you should never eat cheese before bed because it gives you night mares.

Now that where well off subject and talking about cheese, I would just like to add, steroids DONT make you fat
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567