Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/31/2010 3:39am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cbeatty View Post
    Here is how I see things…If you have this much time to spend posting on the internet and researching Jiu-Jitsu lineage, you should really get a life.
    I personally spent approximately 10 years of sweat, blood and tears earning my black belt and I am not challenging or questioning Jay Russell’s rank or affiliations. I am not sure who you are, nor do I care, but I would recommend you go to Jay’s academy and train with him, or issue a challenge match, to see if you think he is at BB level. I am sure he would be more than happy to accommodate you.
    One thing I know for sure is that Jay was accepting challenge matches to prove the effectiveness of Jiu-Jitsu before most people had heard of Jiu-Jitsu or MMA. He has stepped onto the mat, into the cage, and on the street to test his skills.
    Also, regarding his relationship with Jordan Damon… they were great friends and training partners. At one point, Jordan was probably one of the best light weights in the country.
    Obviously you have some sort of ax to grind; but I would recommend you spend more time training and less time typing.

Chad Beatty
    Spa City Jiu-Jitsu
    You can see Jay Russell and Chad Beatty training together and rolling in the following video. Russell must have been a pretty damned good fake to snooker a legit BJJ black belt like Beatty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCO1yJNlPT4

Posted On:
    11/01/2010 1:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning View Post
    Secondly IF Mr. Damon was presenting himself as a BJJ Black Belt before he earned this rank, there is little to separate him morally from Mr. Russell.
    Well, Samuel, since you're an attorney, I'd like your opinion on this. Here's a Yellowbook listing copyrighted 2009 that states that Jordan Damon is a "Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belter." Damon didn't become a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt until September 2010.

http://jiujitsunationwny.com/

Watertown, NY Jiu Jitsu
    Jiu Jitsu Nation
    For a great exercise and fitness program, contact Jiu Jitsu Nation of Watertown, NY. We offer various martial arts classes for ages 4 and up and students of all skill levels. We develop discipline and respect in our students in a fun, laid back atmosphere. We hold team competitions and give military and family discounts.

Jiu Jitsu Nation Classes:

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Boxing
    Kickboxing
    Judo
    Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
    Self - defense
    Owner and instructor Marc Stevens is a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Purple belter, and head instructor Jordan Damon is a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black belter.

Call Jiu Jitsu Nation at 315-767-3579.
    Contact Information
    315-767-3579
    1041 Arsenal St
    Watertown, NY 13601

Map and Directions to our
    Watertown, NY Jiu Jitsu School
    Hours of Business:

Mondays to Saturdays: 5:00AM - 9:00PM

Methods of Payment:

©2009 Yellow Book USA, Inc. All Rights Reserved

Posted On:
    11/01/2010 1:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning View Post
    IIF, with your understanding, since these two were kinda joined at the hip, I think Jordan's credentials are a proper subject for this thread.
    Jordan Damon was a BJJ brown belt under Marcos Santos:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

So why was a Marcos Santos BJJ brown belt touted in the 2009 Yellowbook listing as a BJJ black belt when he didn't become a BJJ black belt until Sept. 2010?

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    11/01/2010 11:39am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, given your obvious and veracious interest in this subject, when will you be preparing a formal write-up ?
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    11/01/2010 12:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckofDeath View Post
    Well, Samuel, since you're an attorney, I'd like your opinion on this. Here's a Yellowbook listing copyrighted 2009 that states that Jordan Damon is a "Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belter." Damon didn't become a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt until September 2010.
    I'm not Samuel, but am also an attorney (seem to be a glut of us on the boards recently...there goes the neighborhood, right?) and as multiple informed opinions might create a healthy conversation on the topic, decided to respond.

First - I don't understand your question. Are you asking if the apparent misrepresentation is actionable? Possibly, depending on circumstances.

Second - if I was a student at that school and wanted out of my contract, I could argue that this was Fraud in the Inducement, thus nulling any "meeting of the minds." Absent such meeting, there is no binding contract. You might (and I stress might) be able to recover any fees paid to the school for the classes as well, but that would largely depend on the judge.

Third - There might be a general fraud claim tacked on in an attempt to reach punitive damages. It would be tough for someone who didn't also have a contract claim to realize this tort -- big standing (ability to bring the lawsuit) issues there.

Fourth - disclaimer: I'm not a NY attorney, so can't really get into details about how NY law might alter this admittedly extremely general overview.

Posted On:
    11/02/2010 12:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simio de las Rocas View Post
    So, given your obvious and veracious interest in this subject, when will you be preparing a formal write-up ?
    I'm in the beginning stages now.

Posted On:
    11/02/2010 12:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
    I'm not Samuel, but am also an attorney (seem to be a glut of us on the boards recently...there goes the neighborhood, right?) and as multiple informed opinions might create a healthy conversation on the topic, decided to respond.

First - I don't understand your question. Are you asking if the apparent misrepresentation is actionable? Possibly, depending on circumstances.

Second - if I was a student at that school and wanted out of my contract, I could argue that this was Fraud in the Inducement, thus nulling any "meeting of the minds." Absent such meeting, there is no binding contract. You might (and I stress might) be able to recover any fees paid to the school for the classes as well, but that would largely depend on the judge.

Third - There might be a general fraud claim tacked on in an attempt to reach punitive damages. It would be tough for someone who didn't also have a contract claim to realize this tort -- big standing (ability to bring the lawsuit) issues there.

Fourth - disclaimer: I'm not a NY attorney, so can't really get into details about how NY law might alter this admittedly extremely general overview.
    Thanks for the input. Samuel had brought up the moral issue of misrepresenting martial arts rank, and I was interested in the legal implications of the deceptive Yellowbook listing.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    11/02/2010 4:38am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckofDeath View Post
    I'm in the beginning stages now.
    Ok, when you have something you feel is ready to be proof read let Sam know and he'll subject it to his legal scrutiny, before it's uploaded to the wiki.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    8/09/2012 11:00pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    breaking news, jay russell was awarded his black belt in melborn north carolina under gracie barra. I just so happens that a man jay gave a black belt too many moons ago retired and moved out there. Jay also lived in albany ny, so how could he find the time to train at barra in NC...the story goes on...

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    8/10/2012 6:36am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.jitz View Post
    Jay also lived in albany ny, so how could he find the time to train at barra in NC...the story goes on...
    You resurrected (necro'd) an old thread; are you asking a serious question or providing supporting information that someone is a fraud?

Regarding the question portion of your post, I used to use my vacation and leave time to do serious training (not a six hour seminar). Although it took me about three years of doing this along with training locally, I did advance. So to answer your question, Yes, it is very possible; if I can do it with my feeble old self, others can too.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021