Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 8:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Iaido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Academy of Kempo-Karate Shin Dojo; Stafford, Virginia

Now, since I'm not intentionally trying to boast about my school's (or my teacher's) excellence or downplay it, I'm struggling a bit with the ratings systems. So if it seems a little skewed, forgive me.

Aliveness:
    We go through months where we spar twice every week, to sparring once a week, to sparring a few times a month; depending on the student's abilities and level of control. The basic sparring gear is usually hands and cup, though a mouth guard is highly recommended. Instruction includes going into ground work, pins, and grappling, though the majority of the student population isn't up to par on it. Contact is dependent on the student's abilities, but needless to say, it is not uncommon to go home with welts and bruises. Sensei River's has a thorough understanding of wrestling and groundwork, which he does not claim on the website, in which he incorporates for those interested in understanding MMA and UFC rules.

Equipment:
    As stated, the basic equipment is usually required, hands are available, with varying qualities. It is permissible to go without hands if proper control is utilized (sometimes determined via belt-rank, sometimes determined by the number or skill of other students). There is foot and head gear available for those who need it.

Gym Size:
    The dojo isn't vast, it's a commercial area none the less. Capable of holding around 25 rambunctious kids or 10 adults/young adults for jujutsu, bunkai, kumite, or kata.

Instructor/Student Ratio:
    Sensei Rivers is unbelievable capable of handling a large class of youths, even more so of handling adult students of varying degrees of ability. He teaches the majority of all classes, rarely with aid from senior students.

Attitude:
    Save for a few students (myself included), the dojo is an all-around delightful sanctuary, gym, and hangout. The majority of sustained injuries are taken in stride and most of all yudansha are capable of kicking ass.

Striking Instruction:
    Ranges from "Just hit the guy" to "hit the guy here, here, and then here and watch him fall down." Full range of strikes from knife-hand, spear-hand, standing vertical punch, one-/two-knuckle punches, elbows, kicks (30-some-odd kinds). Instruction includes where to, how to, and when to; as well as what to do if your opponent is doing this.

Grappling Instruction:
    Ranges from compliant jujutsu techniques to randori. Including the wrestling groundwork incorporating jujutsu principles, clinches, bigger opponents. Due to a smaller pool of practitioners, instruction depends on the overall student desire as to whether there is a distinct focus on kata or randori.

Weapons:
    Traditional weapons from traditional schools of martial arts. Practitioners must commit during kata and kumitachi in order for both participants to understand the principle of the technique. Iaido includes occassional tameshigiri. The lack of free-sparring is meant to discourage the point-sparring mentality as well as to preserve the foundation of technique and principle "battlefield" understanding over the limited sportsman mentality.

And there you have it. I've tried to remain true to this site's grading system without demeaning or devaluing this school's actual training regime.
    Soredake desu.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    3/01/2010 1:33am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doing karate sparring a max of twice a week is not an aliveness rating of eight. And someone who's not at least a BJJ purple or equivalent doesn't have a "thorough understanding" of grappling. No, his noncompetitive JJJ black belts don't count.

Edit: Also:

Motobu Udundi Kobujutsu: Reserved for Royalty
    Motobu Udundi is the native Okinawan classical martial art taught only to royalty and palace guards. The study of Udundi provides the "soft" element of martial arts as well as Kobudo (classical weapons training) to Okinawan stylists who wish to remain purely Okinawan. There is no need to incorporate additional martial arts curricula from Japan or Brazil.
    Last edited by Hedgehogey; 3/01/2010 1:38am at .

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    3/01/2010 1:46am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also check this guy out and his chickenfucking haircut. I wanna snip it off so bad it feels like I have to pee.

YouTube- Karate Instruction: The Chambering Hand

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2010 8:03am

Style: Standup, Ground-fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Hit the guy here, here, and then here and watch him fall down" is not encouraging, nor is spear hand nor knife hand, and "going without gloves is permissible" means that you don't spar hard. And that video is embarrassing, more because of the technique than the haircut.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 2:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    Also check this guy out and his chickenfucking haircut. I wanna snip it off so bad it feels like I have to pee.

YouTube- Karate Instruction: The Chambering Hand
    Come on by... and snip it off for me. You all are amazing. Commenting on material you know nothing about and basing opinions on people you have never met. Enjoy your existence.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 2:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been doing jujutsu for 20 years. I attended Gracie seminars before most of you even started training in Jujutsu. To say that a black belt in a "non-competitive" style of Japanese Jujutsu doesn't translate to understanding how to fight on the ground? Are you serious. Where do you think BJJ comes from you tools. Just because we don't roll on the ground during every class does not mean we do not know what to do on the ground. The teaching and training methodology is different...not the material.

I have done BJJ, Kodokan, as well as several classical styles. You need to ask yourself why, after having competed internationally and with a background in more eclectic jujutsu styles, do I actively train and teach classical styles. The answer is there's more to the Budo life then only fighting... when you all grow up you might know what I am talking about. Until then, stop hypothesizing about someone's background, stop guessing about the efficacy of someone or some system's methodology via youtube or the internet, and stop by the dojo to find out for yourself. Address is on the web-site. While my student had good intentions, this is why we don't even bother with sites like this. Consider this a lesson learned for him. Have a nice life.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 2:24pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is not encouraging is you all being able to take something completely out of context and twist it around. My overzealous student meant well, but I never comment on this site for just this reason. So many people with absolutely no traditional Jujutsu, karate, or kobudo training passing judgement on those arts. While there will be no more dojo correspondence with your site, the invitation is always there for you to come in and work out with us. But, you all already know everything so I don't expect to see you. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Wing-Kwan-Fu View Post
    "Hit the guy here, here, and then here and watch him fall down" is not encouraging, nor is spear hand nor knife hand, and "going without gloves is permissible" means that you don't spar hard. And that video is embarrassing, more because of the technique than the haircut.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 2:30pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by akkshindojo View Post
    I have been doing jujutsu for 20 years.
    That is it?

I attended Gracie seminars before most of you even started training in Jujutsu.
    Ass u and all of that.

To say that a black belt in a "non-competitive" style of Japanese Jujutsu doesn't translate to understanding how to fight on the ground? Are you serious.
    Yes, some people are serious.

Where do you think BJJ comes from you tools.
    Basically Just Judo

I have done BJJ, Kodokan, as well as several classical styles. You need to ask yourself why, after having competed internationally and with a background in more eclectic jujutsu styles, do I actively train and teach classical styles.
    No, you need to explain that all by yourself. You wouldn't like the responses you recieved if you left the posters up to their own devices.

The answer is there's more to the Budo life then only fighting...
    Competing is not "fighting" in the context you are trying to use in your red herring.

when you all grow up you might know what I am talking about.
    When you grow up maybe you'll realize how much of a hypocrite you look like right now after this statment.

Until then, stop hypothesizing about someone's background, stop guessing about the efficacy of someone or some system's methodology via youtube or the internet, and stop by the dojo to find out for yourself.
    Kind of like you hypothesizing about the age and lack of understanding based on posts in this thread?

Address is on the web-site. While my student had good intentions, this is why we don't even bother with sites like this. Consider this a lesson learned for him. Have a nice life.
    You have one as well.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 2:37pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We spar twice per week because the other 5 days per week we are cross training in other arts. You have your path, we have ours. When we fight, its full contact, exactly as kyokushin, seidokan and other full contact styles fight with the addition of all jujutsu skills being used.

I am not sure where the link to our Udundi program comes into play... this is a classical art that has nothing to do with the way we fight. Its a privilege to be able to preserve this unique lineage as well as the other arts we preserve such as Japanese swordsmanship and other Kobudo.

Again, you could come by and ask or call and ask directly instead of hypothesizing. Perhaps its easier to slam someone without understanding than to actually try to learn something. The point is, you are the only one who cares. I only care when people start bad mouthing things they don't understand. As always, you all are welcome to come by the dojo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    Doing karate sparring a max of twice a week is not an aliveness rating of eight. And someone who's not at least a BJJ purple or equivalent doesn't have a "thorough understanding" of grappling. No, his noncompetitive JJJ black belts don't count.

Edit: Also:

Motobu Udundi Kobujutsu: Reserved for Royalty
    Motobu Udundi is the native Okinawan classical martial art taught only to royalty and palace guards. The study of Udundi provides the "soft" element of martial arts as well as Kobudo (classical weapons training) to Okinawan stylists who wish to remain purely Okinawan. There is no need to incorporate additional martial arts curricula from Japan or Brazil.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 2:51pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by akkshindojo View Post
    Perhaps its easier to slam someone without understanding than to actually try to learn something. I only care when people start bad mouthing things they don't understand. As always, you all are welcome to come by the dojo.
    Quite Ironic.

From your website:

For 20 years, studios have come and gone in the Stafford area. With them came the fads: The ninja craze, Tae Bo, Cardio Kickboxing, Ninja Turtles, Little Dragons, Power Rangers, and now, after school programs, black belt clubs, Professional Martial Arts Associations, XMA, MMA, and the Ultimate...whatever.

But through all of this, one things remains steady. Our Dojo and our pursuit of excellence in the ancient martial arts of Japan.

Come in and find out why, when students get bored at all of the fad oriented studios that look exciting from the outside, they end up at our door. We welcome everyone with open arms so that you can begin actually learning something about history, culture, the arts, and yourselves.
    Yes, that is bad mouthing no matter how it is written. Glass houses and stones Mr. 20 years. I will leave alone the irony on you commenting on Professional Martial Arts Associations.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast