Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/17/2010 10:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

San Diego Kali, Kajukenbo or Kenpo with solid Judo element?

I trained in Hapkido with a heavy emphasis on Judo when I lived in Oregon. Since I have moved to San Diego, I have not been able to find any Hapkido training (or any other art) that properly integrates real Judo with striking and kicking techniques. I have recently began training in the basics of Eskrima and like the flow and principal of the art but find that the training doesn't focus as much on throwing techniques as I would like.

Does any one know of a competent and qualified instructor in the area that integrates proper Judo into their program for FMA or any other striking arts?

GM

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/18/2010 12:39am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's actually kind of a tall order, and I'll be watching this thread because I'd also love to find such a school.

I spent like two years training with a judo guy from Bullshido (Chickenbeakfist) in Balboa Park, and we mostly did weapon sparring with fencing masks and training weapons. He moved across the country though. I'd be happy to start doing that again if you're interested.

Posted On:
    9/19/2010 10:28am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm totally into that. I have a limited amount of solo experience with weapons but have been itching to practice with someone else. Specifically I would like to give my recent Kali stick practice a try in sparring. Do you still have the fencing equipment?

Posted On:
    9/20/2010 6:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My mask was actually dented in yesterday at the Dog Brothers gathering by a roundhouse kick I blocked with my face. I can probably hammer it out though, but it won’t be as strong. Actually fencing masks in general aren’t great for hard stickfighting, but I’m mostly interested in a lower level of contact anyway. I’ve got two masks and they’re both crappy ones I bought on ebay, but they’ve worked fine for a long time. Like I was saying to everyone yesterday- I haven’t been training for stickfighting in quite some time, but I’d like to get back into the swing of things. I’m actually looking into training with Narrison Babao regularly, so that should help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2010 8:19am

Style: PTK, MT, & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are looking for FMA which incorporates Judo your best best is to look for a Cacoy Doce Pares school. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskrido I am not sure if there is such place in San Diego but that would be a good start. I know there is awesome FMA in San Diego (the Bakbakan Kali group for example) but i'm not sure about Eskrido. If it were my choice, I would park my ass on the front door of the Bakbakan school until they let me in to train.

Posted On:
    9/21/2010 10:57am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FMA, Judo, and a bit of boxing would be considered the holy grail of martial arts in my opinion. Finding a teacher well versed in all (or only two) is a worthwhile but likely challengeng endeavor. Best of luck to you. I'm not familiar with the active FMA guys in that area.

Another option would be to simply find good stickwork, and cross train at a good judo club. Get the best of both. Then work with some willing training partners at either club or another group to try putting it all together. It's not ideal for cohesiveness, but I'd rather get good arnis and good judo and worry about cohesion later. Rather than good arnis and poor judo (or vice-versa) already pre-packaged for you.

Once you understand the principles of each art, and have a solid grasp of the basics, it's not too dificult to see how things would fit together.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/21/2010 11:01am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This link has a few contacts http://kajukenbo.com/cafe/index.php?topic=5177.0 and
    Kaju guys, Sifu Bernie Angeles 619-691-5083 and Professor Armando Laguna 619 422 1627 are both, around Chula Vista and they might be able to give you some info.

I haven't a clue on who does more Judo type training, but they might. Kaju, as you probably know, varies widely, sometimes looking like generic karate and sometimes like a MMA focusing on self-defense, to say nothing about the CMA influenced stuff. KSDI in HI uses JJ quite a bit, but not much Judo.

I do think that good trad Judo is a great choice, if "combat" Judo isn't available.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    9/21/2010 2:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, if you’re looking for judo, there’s good judo in San Diego too. Coach Lafon at Judo America really knows his stuff, and there's some other good places too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2010 12:22pm

Style: PTK, MT, & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.sd12pares.com/html/home.html

You may talk to these guys if you are still interested. I agree with earlier comments in that I would rather get great FMA and great Judo then a lousy hybrid of either. The only real FMA system that I am aware of which has successfully mixed the two is the Cacoy branch of Doce Pares Eskrima which is commonly referred to as Eskrido. If there are any Eskrido players in the area the people at the above link ought to know about it. If not, then I would suggest looking into one of the great FMA options that are around. As I said earlier, I know that there is Kali Illustrisimo through the Bakbakan group and I know that there is Doce Pares Multi-Style and it seems from other posters that there might be other good FMA as well. It also looks like you are in luck regarding a good Judoka to learn from. I wish I was as spoiled for choice on great training as you appear to be.

Have fun. FMA is awesome!

Posted On:
    9/23/2010 8:33pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There really are a lot of choices down here in SD, it's kind of overwhelming at times. Glad I know what I'm looking for to narrow it down a bit. I'm headed up to Judo America this week to check it out, I have been referred to Coach Lafon more than once now. After much thought I have decided to stick with Judo for a while and then integrate FMA in the near future. I did pick up a 6 disc set of Dan Inosanto instructional DVDs from Amazon. Pretty good breakdown of the method there.
    Thanks for the advice and links guys, I cant wait to get started. Good forum.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast