Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2010 11:01am

Style: Hapkido/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My theory on why BJJ is more expensive is because it has been hyped up more. I had an arguement on this the other day one of my friends tried to convince me that BJJ is more effective because its more expensive. Its thinking like this that drives the price up even more. It may also be because there are less legit BJJ qualified instructers than Judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2010 11:16am

Style: Judo, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feral00 View Post
    My theory on why BJJ is more expensive is because it has been hyped up more. I had an arguement on this the other day one of my friends tried to convince me that BJJ is more effective because its more expensive. Its thinking like this that drives the price up even more. It may also be because there are less legit BJJ qualified instructers than Judo.
    Supply and demand. MMA has created a huge demand for BJJ whereas it was previously quite a niche MA. Judo has been big since the fifties, and so there are a lot of clubs out there, most not for profit.

So basically what you said...

Posted On:
    9/17/2010 11:33am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a long tradition of volunteer instruction in Japanese budo. Kendo instructors tend to look down on people who are charging for their services. We routinely get 7th and 8th dan guys to come to our seminars and teach for a weekend at no charge - in fact it's an argument with some of them to pay for their meals for them and we've had them volunteer to share rooms, pay for their own plane ticket, etc. We always make sure they're not out of pocket but you get the idea.

I don't think there are any judo instructors where I live that get paid. They are all volunteers at whatever club they teach in. My instructor is an exception running his own private club but I'd be surprised if the money he charges even covers his expenses in heating and maintaining the building.

Posted On:
    9/17/2010 11:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is my contention that the salaries paid to today's instructors should be higher. Besides having a profound understanding of the technical aspects of Judo, the ideal instructor must seek ways to continually improve himself as a teacher. In like manner their salaries should be increased accordingly.
    Jigoro Kano in 'Judo memoirs of Jigoro Kano', Watson, p. 71.

I'm not sure where, when or why Judo went down the route of charging mere subsistence fees, but it is now part of the culture of Judo.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/17/2010 1:08pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you should get paid but 140-150 and some of these schools have 40-50 students thats alot of money. Idk we have alot of judo clubs but schools where u can go all year long not to many.

Posted On:
    9/17/2010 2:10pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostsp78 View Post
    I think you should get paid but 140-150 and some of these schools have 40-50 students thats alot of money.
    Not really. 50 students at $150/month is only $90,000 of gross revenue per year. Not much after you've paid for space, equipment, utilities, consumables, possibly some assistant instructors. I would assume anyone with only 50 students at that price is working another job to make ends meet. Running a pro school of any martial arts is not an easy way to make a good living.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/17/2010 2:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok but private lessons are more and they help fighters train aswell so add that all in and i think they are making more than you would think!

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/17/2010 4:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ instructors are making a living from BJJ, especially the bigger names. Add that to the supply and demand issue touched on already, plus the culture of budo regarding money, and there you have the price difference.

I opened a for profit Judo school a few years ago. Due to the economy of the rural area in which I live, I could not charge enough to make a living after expenses, or even meaningfully contribute to my family's livelihood. I had multiple private students, too, and another club paid me to teach as well.

In the end, I look back at my teacher's, who charged a pittance or nothing at all, not to mention the incredible amount of personal time they put into my training and life in general, and I feel that I want to carry on in that tradition instead of going the for-profit route.

This is in no way a criticism of those who chose to do otherwise.

Ben
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234