Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2010 2:19am

supporting member
     Style: Kempo-Goju Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, in Wisconsin, we have a lot of jurisdictions that do not send there newly hired officers to the academy. The officers have to be certifiable in EVOC, DAAT, and firearms bt the Wisconsin Law Eforcement Standards Board( which is done thru police science/criminal justice programs at Wisconsin technical colleges) as a condition prior to being hired.

The bigger cities, like Milwaukee and Madison have their own academies. Milwaukee requires you to have 60 college credits after 5 years of being hired.
    16 years till retirement.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    9/18/2010 8:43am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, oddly enough I do not have a degree in Criminal Justice, or even in what most would consider a "related field." But I was just on the peer interview team for a recent hiring and we were pretty strict in following that requirement. Eitherway, I'd say being able to speak Spanish would be a skill that would give you an advantaged in all but whitest of jurisdictions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2010 1:31pm

Style: Japanese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Skeletor View Post
    Whatever you do...DO NOT MAJOR IN "CRIMINAL JUSTICE"...it's one of the most worthless degrees ever. Period. Major in something like Organizational Management, Business...or something that will allow you to use it in a job outside the field. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with a degree that's good for absolutely nothing. Trust me on this...after having spent tens of thousands on an AA, BA, and MS in Criminal Justice, I had to go back and get a Bachelor's in business to even remain hopeful of getting a decent job outside of the LE world. Don't put all of your eggs in one basket, dude.
    Please tell us how you really feel… :5headset: BTW I totally concur as I wasted my college time on CJ degree (even graduating with honors… BFD).

I blame TV!
    Having grown up watching reruns of The ORIGINAL Hawaii Five-O, Adam-12, Dragnet etc. I am perturbed knowing the new generation of Law Enforcement TV shows with young adults saying “that looks exciting” and make the same “college major” mistake I made so many years ago.

As stated by others – many who are actually LEOs – before you invest any time and tuition money – I would research how actual people made it onto “DA FORCE”. Baring legacy placements and affirmative action hires the odds of getting on are pretty bleak.

What could I have done differently? – well some of my own thoughts and some are just repeats:

1) Screw CJ and study hard degrees that show academic prowess; hard sciences such as biology/chemistry, mathematics/statistics, accounting (so you may then focus on “forensic accounting" as an example)
    2) Be able to write well/communicate in ENGLISH
    3) Language skills other than English
    4) Military experience is helpful in demonstrating you can deal within a regimented workplace environment – but maybe not as a full termer – e.g., Marine Corps Reserve or National Guard service may be enough to punch that ticket
    5) Proof you can deal working in a stress full environment with the public – maybe get certified and work part time as an Ambulance EMT for a year or two.

6) 7) 8) 9)… Here is something to also consider, YOUR LIFESTYLE and the choices you make living as a twenty-something. I will try to be concise here. Post college graduation - you really only have but a small window of a few years to make “DA FORCE”.

Maybe there are a few examples of a local candidate who made it onto the local constabulary after waiting ten years working at the local deli counter and then on the weekends as an auxiliary police officer- but you - are you willing to relocate cross-country? But what about your spouse? Will they travel well? What about your young child(s)? What does your spouse do for their career (money)? BTW after getting a solid college degree and getting five years experience as a working professional in The Dreaded Private Sector - maybe you will have a good job making say fifty large $$ with bennies including having nights/weekends off. What does a police recruit/rookie police officer make these days? Will you be able to afford that income hit when they finally call your name?
    Last edited by Sisyphus; 9/18/2010 1:38pm at . Reason: typos

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2010 12:44am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    milwaukee cop, sounds like Wisconsin knows what the **** it's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    Well, oddly enough I do not have a degree in Criminal Justice, or even in what most would consider a "related field." But I was just on the peer interview team for a recent hiring and we were pretty strict in following that requirement.
    I'm a little confused, the hiring team you were part of wants a CJ degree, or at least something related?

I tested into the highest English class, so I think I'm alright there. Thanks for the concern though, everyone. I have to take a Spanish class to get any degree, so I'll continue that since I'm getting an overwhelming response that it's a great idea.

And actually, Sisyphus, I started out of high school wanting to be a firefighter, and I had gone all the way through EMT-B training and realized that fire/EMS was not what I wanted to do. I have EMT-B training, I passed the class, but I did not pay the $70 to take the test to get certified in the NREMT. It wasn't economical, or logical since I did not want to work an ambulance. I generally don't bring it up in interviews for anything, because very few people will understand that, and think I just couldn't handle it.

And yea, lifestyle. I got that part down. I separated all ties to the friends I knew would have given me a black mark and would have dragged me down with them. I've tried the surround myself with friends I can either emulate or respect, just as a rule. I gotta tell you, that's pretty fucking hard when you're 19.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    9/19/2010 10:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a little confused, the hiring team you were part of wants a CJ degree, or at least something related?
    Yes. We only passed along one person who didn't, and she already works for us in another position.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    10/06/2010 11:24pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I almost didn't get fired from being a cop because I speak Spanish. It's a huge fucking deal to have cops who are bi-lingual, or who can at least say a few phrases and understand some simple things. Take the Spanish classes. Aside from that, a polisci degree is good for several reasons. Police work is very political, so understanding that will help. It also forces you to write a lot - something which you'll be doing a lot as an LEO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    10/06/2010 11:29pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and before anyone asks, I got fired because I DID GET MY ASS KICKED BY A LITTLE GIRL WITH DOWN'S SYNDROME WHEN I TRIED TO STOP HER FOR "JAYWALKING" BUT ALL SHE REALLY CROSSED WAS A DRIVEWAY AND WHEN SHE ASKED "WHAT'S THE PROBLEM SIR?" I MISUNDERSTOOD AND THOUGHT SHE DID SASSED ME AND ATTACKED HER FOR DISRESPECTING AN OFFICER OF THE LAW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/06/2010 11:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON View Post
    Oh, and before anyone asks, I got fired because I DID GET MY ASS KICKED BY A LITTLE GIRL WITH DOWN'S SYNDROME WHEN I TRIED TO STOP HER FOR "JAYWALKING" BUT ALL SHE REALLY CROSSED WAS A DRIVEWAY AND WHEN SHE ASKED "WHAT'S THE PROBLEM SIR?" I MISUNDERSTOOD AND THOUGHT SHE DID SASSED ME AND ATTACKED HER FOR DISRESPECTING AN OFFICER OF THE LAW!!!
    ... I both do and don't want this to be true ...

damn it SFGOON
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2010 11:50pm

Style: 2 Fisted Drinking Dynamo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My BS is in Police Science, then again I went to John Jay College of Criminal Justice in NYC so... I feel what got me offers/2nd/3rd looks was a combination of things like the internships with other LE agencies and a paid co-op with a federal LE agency. Also being a native Spanish speaker & former Marine did not hurt. They really like that you bring extra skill sets (prior LEO and or needed foreign language ability - Frenchies/Esperanto faggotry can go get fucked).

In regard to a state/local LE jobs, any accredited bachelor's degree is a just a big honking bonus. With the feds, some of them want a slightly specialized degree. FBI and SS want people with some accounting/math in their degrees.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2011 10:23pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I have is a G.E.D and I am a former Marine however I got hired by two different agencies. I have seen people with college degrees in criminal justice get hired and then quit the job....they were either scared or the job was not what they thought it was going to be. Make sure you know what you are getting into. Death and violence is what you should expect.

English is very important.....I have seen trainees not pass their FTO program for not being able to write reports. Also officer saftey is key...some just don't get it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12