Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/14/2010 3:44pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

When to add weight to bench dips

I've recently discovered the joys of weighted pullups and they're freaking killing me. The general guideline for those seems to be that once you hit 12 without much trouble, it's time to add some weight. Is there any similar point for bench dips, or is it just sort of a "when it stops feeling effective no matter how many reps" type of deal?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2010 3:47pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never did bench dips without the weight!! I got tired of them and just started doing hanging dips and have never looked back!!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    9/14/2010 3:53pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know dips are great, but I can't seem to do them without pain no matter what setup I've got. So my compromise is bench dips+elevated pushups, and it's been pretty good as a poor man's substitute so far. Guess I'll go back to what's been old faithful for pullups- kettlebell in a backpack.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2010 3:57pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, it really depends on what you are working towards. If you are going for strength, then you should increase the weight until you can only do about 6-8 of them. When when you work up to 10-12 add more weight.

If you are working towards endurance then you are going for reps and don't worry about the weight too much.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/14/2010 9:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bench dips really torque the shoulder. They're also not comparable to parallel bar dips in terms of benefit.

I don't know of any general guidelines on adding weight to pull-ups, it should depend entirely on the program. I've added weight for sets of 3, and I've done sets of 30 with no weight (rest pause). Whatever your program is, follow it for guidelines.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69