Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Style
    Aikido
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Misconception(s, Sport Martial Artists have)

The western idea of what a martial art is, is farther from not even knowing what that term means. As a professional myself I would never dare to share my opinion unless instructed. A subject that for me is extremely personal and deserves great respect. My experience has shown me the difference. Martial arts has nothing to do with sports or competition. I see it constantly. Be it, I have never competed or been in a match. How I would do, I always wonder. And there is an attraction there. However the idea of fighting in itself is a mistake.

Martial arts to me is unity

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even if you want to find philosophical values in martial arts, these philosophical values are supposed to be expressed through some sort of fighting.
    Otherwise we wouldn't speak of 'martial' arts.

Style
    Rehab(Back Surgery)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Western Martial Art ---------------> YMAS and slight title change.

The WMA forum is for discussions of Western Martial Arts. Discussing how Westerners are wrong and Sport vs Traditional MA's go here in YMAS (your martial art sucks) for it has been beaten to death a thousand times over on this forum already.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Golddust420 View Post
    The western idea of what a martial art is, is farther from not even knowing what that term means.
    Let me guess, your definition differs from the one that has been used since it was first coined.

As a professional myself I would never dare to share my opinion unless instructed.
    "Professional." LOL. You make your living at aikido? Nope. You're a hobbyist.

A subject that for me is extremely personal and deserves great respect. My experience has shown me the difference.
    Respect and experience, bloviating and pseudo-philosophical navel gazing; tomato/tomahto.

Martial arts has nothing to do with sports or competition.
    Which is why the militaries of the world hold competitions for their soldiers in unarmed fighting, hold competitions among units in simulated missions, and against each other in simulated battles and wars. Nope. Competition has nothing to do with real world fighting.

I see it constantly. Be it, I have never competed or been in a match.
    This is obvious.

How I would do, I always wonder.
    I don't wonder. It's already been demonstrated publicly, perhaps hundreds of times.

And there is an attraction there. However the idea of fighting in itself is a mistake.
    If that excuse comforts you for your physical and intellectual cowardice, then good for you!

Nobody cares what your personal definition of words are. Words have established meaning, or they are useless.

Martial.

Art

Martial arts.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The western idea of what a martial art is, is farther from not even knowing what that term means. As a professional myself I would never dare to share my opinion unless instructed. A subject that for me is extremely personal and deserves great respect. My experience has shown me the difference. Martial arts has nothing to do with sports or competition. I see it constantly. Be it, I have never competed or been in a match. How I would do, I always wonder. And there is an attraction there. However the idea of fighting in itself is a mistake.

That makes absolutely no sense.

Historically(aside from the last century or so) when has any martial art existed outside of competition?

Aristotle felt that competition was essential for the unity of mind and body, and in Aristotelian philosophy a humans ultimate perfection was found in the unity of mind body and will necessary to overcome an opponent.

One of Japan's most famous martial artists, Miyamato Musashi, found his initial fame and thus the longevity of his philosophy and system from his quite bloody competitive record.

Rejecting actually fighting doesn't make you a better martial artist, it makes you a kratophobe(Kratophobe – A person who claims to be a warrior and yet has an irrational fear of realistic hand-to-hand combat training.
    Etymology, from the Greek kratos meaning strength, might or power. As in the name of the ancient Olympic sport of pankration which means competition with all powers (No holds barred) and the Greek word phobia meaning irrational fear.) Try to spin it anyway you want but ultimately it isn't what was historically martial arts or martial arts mastery. Historically martial arts mastery was a form of evolutionary hoplology, in which the individual martial artist, after having attained a basic knowledge of his initial chosen art, would try it against others(usually but not always in friendly competition) to find weaknesses and develop his martial art into a gradually more effective system. When a martial art became overly codified and ceased such adaptation, it was usually at the point of extinction.

Take Musashi's Kenjutsu for example. His school and his disciples continued to evolve well after his death until the advent of firearms and the abandonment of swords as a serious combative tool. At which point it became solidly codified, stopped evolving, and now is about as realistically combative as soccer or ice hockey.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So we can't talk about aikido cause we lack experience, but you, who has never competed, can speak expertly on competition?

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This post has completely changed my life.

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You seem to have some sort of insight that no others possess, I would consider it an honour to read more about your position and your clearly much deeper understanding of the unity that is the definition of martial arts.

I do have to ask, though, is there a reason why you'd "never dare to share my opinion unless instructed"? And who would instruct you to share an opinion? If it is your instructor, do you have to share his opinion? Or is it him saying that you are allowed your own opinion, but that you are only allowed to share it when he says it is okay to share? And do you tell him before you share it so that he is comfortable allowing you to share your own opinion? Or does he allow you to share your opinion and is surprised by what your opinion actually is?
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I <3 Battlefields...

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    One of Japan's most famous martial artists, Miyamato Musashi, found his initial fame and thus the longevity of his philosophy and system from his quite bloody competitive record.
    Miyamoto Musahi was great...how do we know? Musahi told us so in the book he wrote...about himself.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Miyamoto Musahi was great...how do we know? Musahi told us so in the book he wrote...about himself.
    To be fair ...... the losers of the duels have not ever come forward to dispute his greatness.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last