Page 1 of 5 12345 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Staring up at the ceiling
    Posts
    13
    Style
    Folkstyle
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Is Laren Grey Umphlett a legit wrestler / wrestling coach?

    Greetings martial arts sleuths,

    I come to you today with an unusual request, to check the legitimacy of a wrestler / coach by the name of Laren Grey Umphlett who claims to have wrestled for 25 years, yet the wrestling techniques he teaches are so technically lacking, and his name is nowhere to be found in connection with any organized wrestling.

    I think its unusual because people usually fake that theyre kung fu, karate or mma guys, Ive never met anyone who faked being a wrestler. Ive wrestled through highschool and college, and its never been a glamorous or cool credential and I could never grasp why anyone would want to fake being a wrestler, other than maybe that weir Ron Cotterill guy who pays guys to wrestle him on mattresses, but thats another story entirely.

    So I saw this guy's youtube channel where he was teaching a pummeling drill that had his students pummeling really hard and basically slamming into each underhook, and I made a comment questioning the technique asking where he learned to pummel like that and he replied that he learned it in his 25 year wrestling career. So I asked him where he wrestled and he deleted my comments.

    So I googled him and found no wrestling history, which doesnt necessarily mean he's fake because plenty of people wrestle at D2 and D3 schools and dont make it into any online databases, but this guys technique was so poor and his attitude so smug that something just seemed off.

    Then I found his history on the Underground website Florida section where he posted in the early 2000s under the name kansetsuwaza, where he was known for criticizing everyones technique while claiming that tournaments and competition are beneath him and that he dislikes the grappling scene because its all about muscling bad technique, and that his competition days are over and he just wants to coach small private groups of advanced wrestlers. Then it came out that he was tapped out to a body triangle to a blue belt named Billy Cola at the one tournament he competed in. He was basically downing everything while refusing to back it up on the mats.

    He then made the mistake of criticising the grappling skills of Royce Gracie black belt Rob Kahn, who got really pissed off and let him know he better back up his words if hes going to criticise him on a public forum. At that point the guy tucked and left florida.

    Is this guy legit or a fraud, as my instincts tell me he might be?

    You guys are far better at this than I could ever be, what are your thoughts?

  2. #2
    Michael Tzadok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jerusalem
    Posts
    1,333
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I could only find four videos of him teaching wrestling that were a few years old. It honestly didn't look that bad. It didn't look great, it was all basic, but I don't know what audience he was aiming at to be honest. I mean I could link videos of Olympic level wrestlers demonstrating core curriculum for Folkstyle and Olympic style wrestling and point out how very basic it is, and the many minor details they either ignore, or from an advanced perspective get wrong, because it is ultimately about skill development. Sure ultimately when you shoot a double leg your knees should never touch the floor, and all your momentum should go right into your opponent, however almost nobody teaches it that way to beginners. That is advanced level skill development.

    I couldn't find most of the other stuff you mentioned. It seems from his youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcG...XJen86bkPt1XjA and his Facebook https://www.facebook.com/laren.umphlett it seems that he has given up the wrestling thing and has become some sort of yogi that gives fringe left youtube rants.

  3. #3
    hungryjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    5,121
    Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have a forum leader/moderator here who is connected through LinkedIn (shared connection). I won't name names in the event his connection is purely through the subject's job as a home inspector.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Staring up at the ceiling
    Posts
    13
    Style
    Folkstyle
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Well I could only find four videos of him teaching wrestling that were a few years old. It honestly didn't look that bad. It didn't look great, it was all basic, but I don't know what audience he was aiming at to be honest. I mean I could link videos of Olympic level wrestlers demonstrating core curriculum for Folkstyle and Olympic style wrestling and point out how very basic it is, and the many minor details they either ignore, or from an advanced perspective get wrong, because it is ultimately about skill development. Sure ultimately when you shoot a double leg your knees should never touch the floor, and all your momentum should go right into your opponent, however almost nobody teaches it that way to beginners. That is advanced level skill development.

    I couldn't find most of the other stuff you mentioned. It seems from his youtube channel it seems that he has given up the wrestling thing and has become some sort of yogi that gives fringe left youtube rants.
    Yeah, I couldnt link the pummeling video because of my post count, have you seen it? Im just trying to establish if the guy ever actually wrestled anywhere. I laughed at the fringe left comment, I noticed that too, those rants go round and round and make zero sense, maybe the poor guy is just nuts. Stiill shouldnt be teaching people wrestling if he doesnt really know it.:D

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Staring up at the ceiling
    Posts
    13
    Style
    Folkstyle
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    We have a forum leader/moderator here who is connected through LinkedIn (shared connection). I won't name names in the event his connection is purely through the subject's job as a home inspector.
    Surely Bullshido isnt about shielding peoples friends from legitimate inquiry. Im not saying the guy's a fraud, just that he appears not to have much wrestling experience yet claims to be a coach with 25 years of training. And the whole Rob Kahn thing seems odd as well, why would you publically criticize a well know jiujitsu instructor then back down when asked to back it up. Rob told him, if you think my tecnique is so poor, come on over and show me your skills. Apologizing and taking it back wouyld be the respectable thing to do, tucking just reeks of fakery imho.

  6. #6
    hungryjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    5,121
    Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboygrappler View Post
    Surely Bullshido isnt about shielding peoples friends from legitimate inquiry. Im not saying the guy's a fraud, just that he appears not to have much wrestling experience yet claims to be a coach with 25 years of training. And the whole Rob Kahn thing seems odd as well, why would you publically criticize a well know jiujitsu instructor then back down when asked to back it up. Rob told him, if you think my tecnique is so poor, come on over and show me your skills. Apologizing and taking it back wouyld be the respectable thing to do, tucking just reeks of fakery imho.
    That's just it. I don't know if the Bs member is a friend, acquaintance or someone who is connected by job association only. I'll send a PM to see if he has any knowledge or interest in wading in.

  7. #7
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,787
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboygrappler View Post
    Greetings martial arts sleuths,

    I come to you today with an unusual request, to check the legitimacy of a wrestler / coach by the name of Laren Grey Umphlett who claims to have wrestled for 25 years, yet the wrestling techniques he teaches are so technically lacking, and his name is nowhere to be found in connection with any organized wrestling.

    I think its unusual because people usually fake that theyre kung fu, karate or mma guys, Ive never met anyone who faked being a wrestler. Ive wrestled through highschool and college, and its never been a glamorous or cool credential and I could never grasp why anyone would want to fake being a wrestler, other than maybe that weir Ron Cotterill guy who pays guys to wrestle him on mattresses, but thats another story entirely.

    So I saw this guy's youtube channel where he was teaching a pummeling drill that had his students pummeling really hard and basically slamming into each underhook, and I made a comment questioning the technique asking where he learned to pummel like that and he replied that he learned it in his 25 year wrestling career. So I asked him where he wrestled and he deleted my comments.

    So I googled him and found no wrestling history, which doesnt necessarily mean he's fake because plenty of people wrestle at D2 and D3 schools and dont make it into any online databases, but this guys technique was so poor and his attitude so smug that something just seemed off.

    Then I found his history on the Underground website Florida section where he posted in the early 2000s under the name kansetsuwaza, where he was known for criticizing everyones technique while claiming that tournaments and competition are beneath him and that he dislikes the grappling scene because its all about muscling bad technique, and that his competition days are over and he just wants to coach small private groups of advanced wrestlers. Then it came out that he was tapped out to a body triangle to a blue belt named Billy Cola at the one tournament he competed in. He was basically downing everything while refusing to back it up on the mats.

    He then made the mistake of criticising the grappling skills of Royce Gracie black belt Rob Kahn, who got really pissed off and let him know he better back up his words if hes going to criticise him on a public forum. At that point the guy tucked and left florida.

    Is this guy legit or a fraud, as my instincts tell me he might be?

    You guys are far better at this than I could ever be, what are your thoughts?
    I used to post extensively on the UG back before it got modernized, in the Judo/Sambo section.

    I recognize the username "kansetsuwaz", but don't remember any specifics about him.

    I used to get online via modem, that's how long ago it was...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  8. #8
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,787
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    “Like simple minded goldfish, we often believe the boundaries of our bowl to be the entire ocean.”
    ― Laren Grey Umphlett, The Power of Perception

    ad nauseum...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Staring up at the ceiling
    Posts
    13
    Style
    Folkstyle
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    “Like simple minded goldfish, we often believe the boundaries of our bowl to be the entire ocean.”
    ― Laren Grey Umphlett, The Power of Perception

    ad nauseum...
    Yeah, I gotta admit I find that part of his youtube channel hilarious, I guess he thinks he's a deep thinker of some sort, and in trying to prove it hes unintentionally very funny.

    Like he did one video explaining "why whataboutisms are not appropriate" and he goes into this convoluted explanation with some inane examples and analogies and at the end he says "I hope you all understand some of this, although you probably dont because of your psychological need to reinforce a position", although philosophy and wrestling arent directly related I get the feeling that his wrestling claims are about as legit as his philosophical credentials.

    I could be wrong, the guy could be an elite wrestler thats just really excentric but Im getting a strong vibe that the guy is either full of crap or delusional.

    Id love to see some footage of him wrestling or even rolling, anything at all, if anyone knows, Im willing to admit Im totally wrong if the evidence so indicates.

  10. #10
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,787
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboygrappler View Post
    Yeah, I gotta admit I find that part of his youtube channel hilarious, I guess he thinks he's a deep thinker of some sort, and in trying to prove it hes unintentionally very funny.

    Like he did one video explaining "why whataboutisms are not appropriate" and he goes into this convoluted explanation with some inane examples and analogies and at the end he says "I hope you all understand some of this, although you probably dont because of your psychological need to reinforce a position", although philosophy and wrestling arent directly related I get the feeling that his wrestling claims are about as legit as his philosophical credentials.

    I could be wrong, the guy could be an elite wrestler thats just really excentric but Im getting a strong vibe that the guy is either full of crap or delusional.

    Id love to see some footage of him wrestling or even rolling, anything at all, if anyone knows, Im willing to admit Im totally wrong if the evidence so indicates.
    I vote for delusional. Or trying to make money writing e-books and making it up as he goes along. Or maybe both?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in