Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

would you ever be interested in learning a style that you might not use for fighting?

I was thinking about this recently. Im mostly a karate/k-1/judo guy, and I like learning kali-arnis-silat for the weaponry work under a JKD instructor in manchester, so Id say Im covering a reasonable amount of basis (especially with the BJJ coming to my dojo in the new year getting me hype as all ****) but Ive always had a bit of curiosity towards the more 'exotic' styles out there, even if they arent anywhere near as effective. I've met a fair few kung fu guys of different lineages and they all seem to have interesting focuses in their systems (for example, I know a few zimenquan guys, which is a finger pokey dim mak style with loads of hand conditioning, but aside from that, its nothing i havent seen in karate bunkais where you press into the throat or clavicle, minus the forms). I dont know if its my years of kung fu movies and playing street fighter and tekken as a kid, but even stuff like capoiera, various kung fu systems, even sumo I'd be willing to learn as long as its either with appropriate context (Im not going to cartwheel into someone in a street brawl for example).

Then again at the same time, I'd like to learn an internal style given the chance but it looks like only Xing Yi is compatible with what I'd want out of it given the sheer volume of OAP Taichi classes Ive found where they dont even know if taichi was ever an MA.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to learn some weapons just to compete in tournaments and just to round out my training. I spent my first ten years in martial arts learning systems that I couldn't use for fighting (primarily since they don't work lol).

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Capoeira is not as useless as some people may have you think. At minimum you learn some really neat acrobatics and seriously work on improving your general athleticism.

Style
    Bjj, Muay Thai, MMA (SBG)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd be interested in Sport/Performance Wushu for a bit of fun whilst further developing agility and flexibility. It doesn't hurt that it's more common for Wushu forms to look cool- removing some of the awkwardness of someone who isn't a Kung Fu nerd seeing you perform them. A deep horse stance isn't as attractive, especially out of context. To most people it doesn't make you look like an acrobat, it makes you look severely constipated.
    Last edited by Aka-Tora; 12/15/2016 1:26pm at .

Style
    MMA and Luta Livre noob
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd love to learn Aikido so I'd have a reason to wear skirts. Also general smugness.

Style
    Kendo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello, kendo guy here. I'm all about the impracticality. Also we get to wear magic pants.

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I lived in china for a few months a couple of years ago. Every time I left my hotel early in the morning there was a group of old people in the park across the street practicing tai chi.

They seemed pretty spry for their collective ages.

Maybe not now but when I'm 80? Yeah I'll be ready to start tai chi.

Plus let's be honest, at that age I'm not exactly going to be looking to throw down anyway.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** yeah! I would there are all sorts of styles out there that just look plain old fun.
    Since that and a bit of fitness is really the only reason I train at all.
    I mean for **** sake I live in the 1st world I can go the rest of my life fairly easily without ever getting into a fight.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Capoeira is not as useless as some people may have you think. At minimum you learn some really neat acrobatics and seriously work on improving your general athleticism.
    This is true of dancing in general. I don't know why anybody can call any form of dancing "useless", especially more intense forms like break-dancing or Capoeira. It's exercise, art, and even sexual aphrodisiac rolled into one. Learning to dance will improve your health, fitness, grace, and even help get you laid. Like beer, dancing is a gift from the Divine.

Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Capoeira.

Fencing.

Sodomy.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last