MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    6/10/2014 7:31pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Spinning Hook Kick Thread

So I like me some fancy kicks. I'm lanky, I'm flexible, they work well for me.
    I've made substantial progress on my spin back kick, and I'm now setting my sights on getting my spin hook kick up to a point where it's an effective part of my arsenal. It's coming along, but I'd like to crowdsource this ****.
    I'm not trying to start a "how do spin hook kick" thread; this is a "how do spin hook kick RIGHT" thread. Training it, conditioning it, setting it up.
    As far as set up goes, my main segue has been jab-spin hook kick, especially if the guy likes to slip. I've been having good success with jab--> left head kick, catching them moving into the kick as they slip the jab.
    The jab also serves to disguise the beginning of the rotation of the kick, letting it pull your hips and shoulders forward.
    I've been throwing it on the heavy bag a LOT, and that's been helping with speed. I've been doing standing back leg lifts, and that's helped build flexibility and range of motion for getting my body into spin hook kick positions.
    But it's still not there. I want this weapon in my toolbox. My striking game is already pretty damn unorthodox, and adding another funky weapon that people don't see coming would help it grow.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2014 11:50pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watched through a bunch of youtube highlights of high level guys pulling it off and the most common setup seemed to be to jab a few times to get the hands up and in front of the face and then catch them behind the hands at the temple. Which it sounds like you are basically doing already. So... keep it up I guess?

Posted On:
    6/11/2014 3:28am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure I'm advanced enough to post in this thread, but I like to throw it off a faked lead hook, same as with a spinning backfist. Couple of jabs or a 1-2 to set up, then fake the hook and shift the lead leg, spinning hook kick.

Out of interest, do you do a full 360 spin or just 180?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2014 1:37am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The spinning hook is my secondary "go to" kick in my arsenal. I have almost 100% used it off of a break after I tied up with my opponent. As we separate, I start my turn. It has been very effective for me in this format. As far as attacking with it goes, I normally do it off of a long range/slapping hook(punch here). This allows for me to start my rotation, in place of a linear strike like a jab. The big drawback here is the distancing of the technique. If you are even remotely slow or you hesitate, you will miss or get jammed.

I will say this as an add-on. I specialize in using a lead leg hook kick. I truly believe that this is what led me to my use of the spinning hook and it truly made it far better. if you want to get better, work the lead hook kick like a maniac.

Just my $0.02 worth.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    6/15/2014 10:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My lead hook kick is pretty good; I'm an ex-Shotokan guy, after all.
    How do you set up the lead hook kick? My main combination is to feint the inside leg kick, then transition over to the hook.
    Oh, and I want to try that spin kick out of the clinch break. My karate coach used to do the same thing with a spin back kick.
    I've recently switched from the 360 to the 180 spin hook, at least when shadowboxing with it. I was throwing it as a 360 based on the idea of getting more follow through, but I feel like I get better body posture and balance and **** with a 180 spin hook kick.
    When actually throwing it, it should ideally end up being roughly a 180, as crashing into a dude's skull will arrest the momentum of my spin.

Posted On:
    6/16/2014 3:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do you not cripple people in sparring?
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    6/16/2014 6:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    How do you not cripple people in sparring?
    Control? Control. The same way I don't cripple people with punches, knees, round kicks, flying headbutts, or any other technique.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    6/19/2014 9:22pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I went down to Xtreme Couture last night to do some training, and through a fair chunk of spin hook kicks.
    I'm still not landing them cleanly, but I have found something: feet flying at your head make people BACK THE **** UP. Every time I'd swing and miss with a spin hook kick, I'd find my opponent backpedaling hard, and it'd be easy to move them into a corner.
    Also, since they usually bring their hands up high as they back up, I was able to land a left body kick (which we all know is the deadliest of the body kicks) super clean after coming down from the spin hook kick. Because I still had the momentum from the spin hook kick, it landed nice and hard, too.
    So yeah man. Spin hook kick --> left body kick --> back into a corner. It works, bro.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/24/2014 6:12pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is incomplete without a Korean commenting on it.

You know those TKD kick pads? They are actually awesome for training spinning back kicks. There are two variations; one with locked leg with the back heel to drive maximum mass into the target, and another where you snap your leg to maximize velocity. I like the latter myself; it can go around loose guards and stuff, and it is a bit harder to see coming.

Either way, those kick pads work well.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    6/25/2014 10:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did some work with the spinning hook kick on the pads tonight, which is a huge improvement over working it on the heavy bag.
    The spin hook kick --> left body kick works out well on the pads. I also did a bunch of high round kick --> spin hook kick, which is probably less of an I'll Actually Use This combination, and more of a conditioning drill for high kicking. I've used it a lot in shadow boxing, and it really helps with getting the hang of moving with your legs way up in the air. I highly recommend it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast