Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 1:05am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Beginning MA, what should I do?

As the title says. When I was in high school I did some Hopkido and got up to a green belt before having to move. I haven't done any martial arts since. I was generally very active up through my second year in college (weighed about 240) and after that gained weight, but have always been strong. Was at 360 5 months back and am now at 300. I am 6'5" and 27 years old. I want to make a lifestyle change and part of that change includes doing a form of martial arts. I am finishing up the tail end of a workout called insanity, a 2 month, 6 days a week, HIIT workout. I'd like to go from that workout to martial arts, but I'm not sure what I should be doing. I am definitely a fan of a multidisciplinary approach and don't want to limit myself to just one type of fighting. What are some recommendations you guys would have for someone like me?

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 1:20am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My recommendation is not to try to start everything at once. If you start 2 different arts (striking and grappling) you will just be lost in 2 arts instead of 1. Figure out if you want to learn to strike or grapple first. The sign up, get a good year in to get the basics down and if time allows you can add a second art.

Any art that claims to teach both outside an MMA gym will usually teach an inferior version of both.

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 3:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sanda sambo Kudo i think there are a few variations on a theme that could be viable.

We teach basically straight mma and seem to do well with skill development it is kind of one style though.

Not really a multi discipline. But can sort of pretend to be one.

But guys have boxed wrestled and bjjed without too much of a disadvantage.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 3:31am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To clarify, when I say MMA. I include arts like Combat Sambo, Sanda or any other "MMA like ruleset" Just not the unified rules that UFC and other large promotions use.

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 3:31am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was looking through what I actually have in my area. Would you say that nova uniao would be a good choice? I don't know much about it, but it seems the most legit thing around. I live in the KC area.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 5:45am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nova Uniao is legit. Most schools offer a free trail class. I would call or email to schedule something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 11:40am

Style: Wing Chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meriakh View Post
    As the title says. When I was in high school I did some Hopkido and got up to a green belt before having to move. I haven't done any martial arts since. I was generally very active up through my second year in college (weighed about 240) and after that gained weight, but have always been strong. Was at 360 5 months back and am now at 300. I am 6'5" and 27 years old. I want to make a lifestyle change and part of that change includes doing a form of martial arts. I am finishing up the tail end of a workout called insanity, a 2 month, 6 days a week, HIIT workout. I'd like to go from that workout to martial arts, but I'm not sure what I should be doing. I am definitely a fan of a multidisciplinary approach and don't want to limit myself to just one type of fighting. What are some recommendations you guys would have for someone like me?

It depends on how much you can afford at once. For kicking and punching Muay Thai or Boxing is good, for trapping range I recommend wing chun but if they have a jkd school that can sorta work. (this will also take care of your weapons/situational/self defense angle)

For grappling I'd say judo if you're lower on cash or if you can afford it BJJ is a technically easier place to start, but both arts will generally end up at the same place after the learning curve evens out.

Whatever you decide good luck to you.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 11:56am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunx2z View Post
    It depends on how much you can afford at once. For kicking and punching Muay Thai or Boxing is good, for trapping range I recommend wing chun but if they have a jkd school that can sorta work. (this will also take care of your weapons/situational/self defense angle)

For grappling I'd say judo if you're lower on cash or if you can afford it BJJ is a technically easier place to start, but both arts will generally end up at the same place after the learning curve evens out.

Whatever you decide good luck to you.
    Stay clear of Wing Chun by all means possible. The Muay Thai Clinch or Hand/Grip fighting in any grappling art handles the "trapping" range far better

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 12:00pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to clarify, when wingchunx2z says trapping range he's referring to an artificial construct wherein playing patty cake is somehow related to fighting. If that's also something you're interested in just find the nearest Girl Scout group and you'll be solid. Plus the cookies are legit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 12:10pm

Style: Wing Chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    Just to clarify, when wingchunx2z says trapping range he's referring to an artificial construct wherein playing patty cake is somehow related to fighting. If that's also something you're interested in just find the nearest Girl Scout group and you'll be solid. Plus the cookies are legit.
    I take offense to this, Girl scouts have nothing to do with wing chun or chi sao. Chi sao is a drill to improve a skill set, much like skipping rope is for boxing. Oh wait, little girls skip rope also...

Despite the obvious bias against it, I suggest you look into a school and check it out for yourself. It's go some very useful tools to add to your belt that other arts don't focus on.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast