Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Best beginner .22 for a kid?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kid-gun-12111021.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	15850

What's the best .22 for a kid to learn on in your opinion. I'm looking to buy my son his first rifle and I want him to learn good fundamentals on a .22. I was leaning toward a bolt action, but a few friends made some decent arguments for a magazine fed model.

Bullshido, what are your thoughts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 12:35pm

Style: Wrestle, Kickbox, Aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure Bullshido has many members with far more firearm knowledge than me, but for what it's worth...

My first rifle was a Ruger 10/22, and I couldn't have asked for more. Easy to care for, 10 round rotary clip, a real joy to shoot. I'll leave technical advice to the pro's, but subjectively it was a great choice for me.

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 3:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're looking for a rifle:

Ruger 10/22 or Marlin Model 60. Classic first rifles for generations of shooters. Can't really go wrong with either.
    Go Ruger if you think he'll want to play with aftermarket parts in the future or if you're partial to box magazines (good training primer for when he moves up to centerfire).

If you're going with bolt action, hell, Ruger, Marlin, CZ, Cricket, Savage, Remington, Baikal, Tikka, Tompson...
    ...everybody makes them and most companies make them well. You could probably find a used one at your local pawn for less than the price of a brick of .22lr these days.

If you're looking for a pistol Id recommend the Browning Buckmark, Ruger MK II or Thompson Contender (in that order).

Buckmarks are just solid as all get out. That one will last him for life. The Rugers are cool but the Mark III has an exposed sear which despite being a "safety feature" could actually trigger and AD if somehow depressed by accident, so Mark II seems to be the desired piece out of that series.

The contender is an awesome tool and can be re-barreled in just about any caliber you can imagine with a simple parts swap. It has an adjustable hammer for switching from rim fire to center fire. It can basically become any gun you want via aftermarket parts. The only downside is it's a single shot machine. But it't not a spray and pray toy. It's a solid, versatile shooting platform for serious shooters. So if your intention is to teach good handling and marksmanship you could do far worse. The versatility and top tier craftsmanship make the Contender another one that will last you boy a lifetime.

Good luck and shoot safe!

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 4:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You really can't go wrong Ruger 10/22. Good reliable solid rifle with a pretty damn decent aftermarket. They can be picked up used pretty cheap.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 5:26pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post

What's the best .22 for a kid to learn on in your opinion. I'm looking to buy my son his first rifle and I want him to learn good fundamentals on a .22. I was leaning toward a bolt action, but a few friends made some decent arguments for a magazine fed model.

The Browning SA22 is such an awesome rifle that often gets overlooked. It will set you back more than a lot of the others but it will last his entire life for sure. It's a really cool takedown rifle. It's light and seems tiny but has a length of pull suitable for an adult as well. It's a great, solid design. Way overbuilt. It's like a tank. Love it.

How old/big is he though? For really small kids I like the Crickett .22s because it fits them and they can learn to shoot with the proper fundamentals instead of trying to wrestle a rifle that's too heavy and long for them.

Edit: by the way, if you look at the Brownings, be aware they come in different grades with different engravings, checkering, etc. So they're not all priced the same.
    Last edited by Devil; 1/28/2014 5:33pm at .

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 6:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How old is your child and his/her stature?

I started my kids on Crickets, due to price and that both my boys were on the small size for their age.

Crickets are kid sized, single shot, pull to cock rifles with an aperture sight and provision for mounting a scope (fairly crude, though). Trigger is stiff, stock does not work well with a scope (too much drop at heel to get a good cheek weld). But they work, and the price is right.

I liked single shots for safety reasons, and they can't succumb to the urge to rip off a whole magazine in a few seconds. They get to shoot my 10/22 for that thrill, although with .22 ammo dried up, not lately.

If I had to do it over and had a bit more money, I'd look at the Savage Rascal, although they are a bit more expensive. I had to buy two at once...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 6:40pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My son is 9. He's skinny and pretty tall for his age, about 4' 9". I initially was leaning toward the Cricket as well, but figured I'd ask here.

I'm definitely going to buy him a rifle. He'll have to wait a few more years before he gets a pistol. He can always fire his mother's 9mm CZ75 in the meantime. It has almost zero recoil.
    Last edited by jnp; 1/28/2014 6:47pm at .

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 6:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My son is 9. He's skinny and pretty tall for his age, about 4'9". I initially was leaning toward the Cricket as well, but figured I ask here.

I'm definitely going to buy him a rifle. He'll have to wait a few more years before he gets a pistol. He can always fire his mother's 9mm CZ75 in the meantime. It has almost zero recoil.
    I'd look at the Rascal too. They had just come out when I was buying, and none were to be found or around at that time. It's likely a higher quality rifle.

To state the obvious, have him try both out and see which one fits best.

I'm looking for shotguns for my boys now. They both have my old H&R Topper Jr. single shots, one in 20 ga the other .410. I bought new stocks and cut them down to fit. The 20 kicks like a mule, I must have been made of stern stuff when I was a kid, because I shot that thing at doves all day long when the season was on, multiple boxes of shells. It nearly knocks down my 10 year old, but he doesn't complain either.

The Mossberg youth model pumps look good, and come with an adjustable stock. They tried the wooden stocked model and were salivating, LOL !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 7:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think everyone kind of nailed it. The Ruger 10/22 is a very versatile firearm and it will grow with you son. As your son grow up he can customize it to be more accurate and suit whatever his need are such as target shooting. Or make it tacticool :p. Otherwise I really like my Henry lever action 22.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 8:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My son is 9. He's skinny and pretty tall for his age, about 4' 9". I initially was leaning toward the Cricket as well, but figured I'd ask here.

My son is 11 and still shoots his Crickett although it's time for an upgrade. There are other rifles in this category. I'm just not really familiar with them. The size is the primary appeal of this rifle. It's not a nice rifle in any way. Sometimes it can be a pain in the ass to chamber a round and close the bolt.

But I wanted to be able to teach him proper offhand shooting and when they're small most rifles will cause them to lean back and/or strain to support the rifle. He could shoulder the Crickett properly. If I remember correctly I compared it to his Red Ryder BB gun and the Crickett was shorter overall with a shorter length of pull, I think.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast