Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    1/13/2014 1:50pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Estima Lock

The past year I been working heavily on my Heel Hook as they are legal in most Advanced No-Gi in the States. However, in Europe the Heel Hook tend to be banned even in Advanced No-Gi. So this lately I been think of refocusing on the toe hold using the RNC grip or what people refer to as the Estima Lock. Any one has success or failure with this style of toe hold. It really seems like a devastating counter to the DLR/RDLR game.

Last edited by Plasma; 1/13/2014 1:53pm at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2014 9:57pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I played around with this a little in practice the other night, after seeing this video. Although the position of the locking arm is much better than in traditional BJJ compression locks, I still feel like this is mostly an extension of that original compression lock that doesn't work past white belt.

I am positive I'm missing something, but I have yet to find what that is. Insight?

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    1/13/2014 11:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    I played around with this a little in practice the other night, after seeing this video. Although the position of the locking arm is much better than in traditional BJJ compression locks, I still feel like this is mostly an extension of that original compression lock that doesn't work past white belt.

I am positive I'm missing something, but I have yet to find what that is. Insight?
    The toes are against your chest/stomach, provides that leverage Helio invented.

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BOIT-SANS-SOIF!... BACHI-BOUZOUK!

Posted On:
    1/14/2014 1:14am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKJr View Post
    provides that leverage Helio invented.
    Espèce de lutteur d'eau douce.

Posted On:
    1/14/2014 1:16am

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Considering the Estima Brothers are hitting this at the Black Belt level and at ADCC I would disagree.

It is not a compression lock, it's a Toe Hold where the RNC grip is used to secure the foot against the body and the body is used to bring the toes to their butt like a traditional Toe Hold.

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BOIT-SANS-SOIF!... BACHI-BOUZOUK!

Posted On:
    1/14/2014 1:29am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Caveat: this move is new to me.

I was having trouble visualizing how this would be executed at all, but I see that the opponent's shin doesn't have to be pushed away from your body, you just flatten the whole leg and foot against yourself. That limits the range in which you could torque the ankle, right? After flattening it out there is nowhere to go. Does the submission then come from compression pain or is flattening out the foot enough to injure most people?

Posted On:
    1/14/2014 1:36am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cap View Post
    Caveat: this move is new to me.

I was having trouble visualizing how this would be executed at all, but I see that the opponent's shin doesn't have to be pushed away from your body, you just flatten the whole leg and foot against yourself. That limits the range in which you could torque the ankle, right? After flattening it out there is nowhere to go. Does the submission then come from compression pain or is flattening out the foot enough to injure most people?
    Its a Toe Hold. The toes are locked against the body with the RNC grip and Body turns to make the angle of bringing the toes towards the opponents butt as per a regular toe hold.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/14/2014 9:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Considering the Estima Brothers are hitting this at the Black Belt level and at ADCC I would disagree.

It is not a compression lock, it's a Toe Hold where the RNC grip is used to secure the foot against the body and the body is used to bring the toes to their butt like a traditional Toe Hold.
    It's not really an agree/disagree thing. I just said I didn't understand it and asked for insight. On first glance, the video didn't seem clear on where the toes were, hence my request for insight.

Thanks for the clarification, DKJr.

Posted On:
    1/14/2014 11:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not really an agree/disagree thing. I just said I didn't understand it and asked for insight. On first glance, the video didn't seem clear on where the toes were, hence my request for insight.

Thanks for the clarification, DKJr.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk
    Although the position of the locking arm is much better than in traditional BJJ compression locks, I still feel like this is mostly an extension of that original compression lock that doesn't work past white belt.
    I was disagreeing with this

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/14/2014 12:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    I was disagreeing with this
    Right, of course. And I was saying that at first glance, it looked like a compression lock with a better grip.

Now that you guys have clarified, I noticed upon re-watching the video that the toes are trapped against the body, mimicking the operative action of a toehold. Pretty cool.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast