Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
  1. #1
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Delray Beach
    Posts
    1,611
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Multiple Impact Bullet - way cool, or total BS?

    Woah, these things look cool.

    Photo goodness:
    Name:  foot_target.png
Views: 799
Size:  233.1 KB

    And, professionally produced marketing video:


    If these perform at all, they are a game changer. Your .45 is now a BFG. Anyone have any experience with them?

    (edit: oops, forgot link to mfr website: http://www.mibullet.com/)

  2. #2
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,092
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like its basically turning your handgun into a tiny shotgun. Shotguns aren't a game changer in general but generally you can't legally carry around a shotgun that fits in your waistband.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    792
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's the difference between these and frangible ammo like Glaser, which has been around since the '70s?

    http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../frangible.htm

    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod/Frangible_Ammo

    I've also seen mini shotgun rounds in 9mm, which don't have the power of a Glaser round, but are used for hunting varmints.

  4. #4
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Delray Beach
    Posts
    1,611
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is very different; first, they are available in 12ga and .45ACP; 9mm "coming soon."

    Second, the three large fragments expand to nearly full dispersion at only an inch or two from the muzzle - this is very different from shot, where the group will be very tight at the muzzle, and progressively wider. The tethers ensure a fixed maximum radius.

    Third, they are offering this ammo in 3 categories - paraphrasing - guaranteed kill, badly injured, and stun-gun.

  5. #5
    Fuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,185
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are these covered under the Geneva convention restrictions on "Expanding bullets" (dumdums)?

    I understand its kind-of a grey area since they're only banned for war.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    792
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    This is very different; first, they are available in 12ga and .45ACP; 9mm "coming soon."

    Second, the three large fragments expand to nearly full dispersion at only an inch or two from the muzzle - this is very different from shot, where the group will be very tight at the muzzle, and progressively wider. The tethers ensure a fixed maximum radius.

    Third, they are offering this ammo in 3 categories - paraphrasing - guaranteed kill, badly injured, and stun-gun.
    I'm definitely interested in what people have to say about them. Seems like the ideal way to beef up a low caliber round, and make smaller, more concealable pistols a better carry option. Glasers in small calibers didnt have enough penetration to rely on.
    Last edited by CapnMunchh; 1/09/2014 1:18pm at .

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Tampere, Finland
    Posts
    252
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    What's the difference between these and frangible ammo like Glaser, which has been around since the '70s?

    http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../frangible.htm

    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod/Frangible_Ammo

    I've also seen mini shotgun rounds in 9mm, which don't have the power of a Glaser round, but are used for hunting varmints.
    I think the main difference is that the sub-bullets are connected with a wire, so it's still essentially one bullet with a huge diameter.

    I wonder how much of a difference the extra radius makes in a shot that would have been a miss with a normal bullet.

  8. #8
    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7,447
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a new twist on an old concept. Bolo rounds have been around for shotguns for a long time. I've never seen it in pistols before, though. I can't say much about potential effectiveness or advantages / disadvantages over conventional ammo. I've never paid much attention to this type of thing.

    As for carrying a shotgun in your waistband, there's always the Taurus Judge.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    792
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My favorite ammo -- a tough act to follow:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  10. #10
    Mr. Machette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,237
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Are these covered under the Geneva convention restrictions on "Expanding bullets" (dumdums)?

    I understand its kind-of a grey area since they're only banned for war.
    Different thing. "Dum dums" are a slang term for unjacketed bullets, also known as "wad cutters". Their expansion is due to the soft nature of lead. Good mushroom, shite penetration.

    The "expanding bullet" taboo includes semi jacketed and hollow point bullets. These rules only apply to national militaries, thus police forces and individuals can use frangible and expanding ammo to their hearts content.

    The army on the other hand is restricted to Full Metal Jacket, AKA "Ball" ammunition in an "anti personnel" capacity.

    Now you know how that Geneva thing works (and why it doesn't apply to you, should you decide to purchase this latest whiz-bang wundershiesse for your home or office).

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO