Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2013 7:51pm

Style: ex-BJJ, ex-TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Defense against the chasse aka oblique kick

Fresh off from watching Anderson Silva's horrific injury, I got to thinking that roundhouse leg kicks aren't that safe anymore. So I thought about the chasse:

https://player.ooyala.com/static/cac...amp;autoplay=1

taken from:

http://fightland.vice.com/fight-scho...with-jon-jones

Problem is, if I'm thinking that way, so must others as well. So I googled how to defend such kicks. No Luck. Anyone here have experience with such kicks? Does the usual leg check work?

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    12/30/2013 9:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Switch stand at the moment the kick has been initiated, it will bring your targeted knee outside the original range of la chasse bas.
    La chasse bas is a more stationary and lineare kick, so it's range can't be corrected that well at all.
    It's one of the reasons why Savateurs constantly switch between orthodox and unorthodox style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Posted On:
    12/30/2013 9:54pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baby_cart View Post
    Problem is, if I'm thinking that way, so must others as well. So I googled how to defend such kicks. No Luck. Anyone here have experience with such kicks? Does the usual leg check work?
    We use that one fairly often, and usually defend by (bear with me, the description sounds weirder than the technique) flicking your heel into your butt. Shift your weight as little as possible, and kick back with your heel into your own butt. Snap it back in front as fast as you can. You can throw a jab while you do it too, just in case.

And an unlovely trick that happens occasionally, is to "dip" with your other leg, which drops the tip of your knee cap into the nerve running on the inside edge of the shin bone.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2013 10:24pm

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    We use that one fairly often, and usually defend by (bear with me, the description sounds weirder than the technique) flicking your heel into your butt. Shift your weight as little as possible, and kick back with your heel into your own butt. Snap it back in front as fast as you can. You can throw a jab while you do it too, just in case.
    In other words, raise your leg. The best defense for any low kick, or am I oversimplifying?
    A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools. ― Thucydides

Posted On:
    12/31/2013 11:40am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    In other words, raise your leg. The best defense for any low kick, or am I oversimplifying?
    In its most basic description, it's a leg raise, but really you're only raising the shin. The upper leg stays pretty much in place.

The oblique kick is a pretty quick kick, can be done at very close range (which puts you in danger of being thrown if you actually lift your leg), and works well in combination with a cross (which will catch you dead on your chin if you are stuck with one leg in the air). As a result, you need a defense that can be done quickly, defends specifically, and puts you back in a mobile state ASAP.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2013 7:56pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is actually the kick we train the most in xingyi. I assumed it would be pretty standard stuff. Good I know the name now.

So this is good kick? I don't get to do much stand up sparring and when I do it is mostly Boxing rules so I never tried it out yet.

There seems to be some controversy about it hurting the knee. Can someone explain this? I don't want to risk anything in that regard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2013 8:47pm

Style: ex-BJJ, ex-TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies. I am now getting the sense that the usual MMA forward heavy stance is not that applicable in this regard(again).

Quote Originally Posted by killface View Post
    There seems to be some controversy about it hurting the knee. Can someone explain this? I don't want to risk anything in that regard.
    It hurts the knee of the KICKEE by hyperextension. No problems for the kicker: soles of feet and shin bones are adapted to that angle of force(longitudinal). For the kickee it is a veritable host of problems:shearing force to the knee, hyperextension as mentioned previously, shin scrapes if used with footwear(did that to a mugger once). Not good for leg longevity. Better avoid getting kicked like that, hence this thread.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    1/01/2014 10:18pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I throw this kick *a lot*, as do a number of people in my gym.
    For defense, it's the same basic principle as a low round kick: block with something tougher than what they're hitting with. In this case, your knee.
    As he says in the video, you want to be landing the Chasse on the thigh, not the knee. If your foot hits their knee, you will be in for a good deal of hurt. As such, when defending the chasse, think about kneeing them in the sole of their foot as they kick. It's a very small raising and flexing of the targeted leg.
    This obviously only applies when fighting barefoot. In Savate, I imagine this wouldn't really work.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    1/02/2014 11:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    For defense, it's the same basic principle as a low round kick: block with something tougher than what they're hitting with.
    I recall this being a staple of KK (and the reason there's so much hard-conditioning and pain-endurance work as a regular component of KK training). It's supposed to make you very damaging and painful for anyone to hit, just in case your other defenses are ever breached.

If a person is in a job dealing with the possibility of multiple belligerents, it can be a very useful capacity.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/02/2014 1:00pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    -floating foot: quickly step your front leg back and then forward again. This is a standard weapon fighting tactic so we do them a lot.

-sipa: intercept with the sole of the foot to the shin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast