Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/23/2013 11:30am

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Question on sparring shoes

Switching schools to a Tang Soo Do school, so I thought Id get myself some new sparring shoes. Ive never liked the old standard vinyl covered foam shoes feels like Im wearing a couple of tires on my feet. I noticed there are other alternatives, padded shoes with a regular sole made by Ringstar and Fight Pro, but Im not sure if these are padded well enough. Saw a nice looking pair on Amazon made by Hapkido Gear, but they're out of stock and can't find them anywhere else.

I dont want to wear a less padded shoe than my sparring partners. Does anybody use these? Sparring in my new school is moderate contact to head and body harder than point sparring (points have to be decisive), but not full contact.
    A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools. ― Thucydides

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/24/2013 4:20pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meh, I never liked the ones that were sent to me.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/24/2013 5:43pm

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Meh, I never liked the ones that were sent to me.
    Why not?

Would the padded shin/instep guards for muy thai, etc be more comfortable than the standard foam shoes:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Light-in...muay+tai+shoes
    Last edited by CapnMunchh; 12/24/2013 5:51pm at .
    A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools. ― Thucydides

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/24/2013 5:58pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    Why not?

Would the padded shin/instep guards for muy thai, etc be more comfortable than the standard foam shoes:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Light-in...muay+tai+shoes
    They were clunky and the didn't seem like they would protect my partner's that well. As for those shin guards; they first came up in 1996 I believe. My first experience with those were through Revgear and were adopted by the American Krav Maga machine at the time. You have to mold them similar to a baseball glove giving the mold 24 hours and offer a lot of protection. It goes through the laces and tends to last a long time but eventually tears at the instep.

In both cases it is a matter of preference. I liked neither but if you have to wear shoes the former are quicker but doesn't offer the same protection.