Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 11:46pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

My possible new Judo School

I emailed the school I'm looking at going to, if I don't go to the BJJ/ Wrestling gym instead (Head teacher was the first american BJJ BB, taught by the Machados) He gave me a description of the school:

"Our judo program is based on the japanese model where we emphasize the traditional kodokan tachiwaza and newaza techniques.

We tend to stress teaching more standing nage-waza, throwing techniques. From the shinmeisho no waza, we do teach the basic ones (e.g. morote gari, sode tsurikomi goshi and ippon seoinage. we tend to stay away from the makikomi types of throws that may cause injuries if the shoulder and arm is locked up. Gaeshi or reversals and/or counters are taught once the students and competitors are able to attack with forward and backward techniques.

The current rule changes does not allow you to grab the leg to start a technique, so we do not teach morote gari as a competition technique, but we do still teach it as a judo technique. Same for kata-guruma. Grabing the leg before entering the technique is now not allowed in competition, but we do still teach the technique for use in kata and demonstrations. However, we current stopped teaching kouchi or ouchi picks since many of our younger students also compete.

Do we do more standing vs grappling? I would tend to say we do 70% standing and 30% grappling. We concentrate on pins for younger students and pins, chokes and arm locks for the older students, including older juniors, youths and adults.

I hope this gives you a brief summary. The best is for you to stop by and observe our class.
    If you need more information , feel free to stop by. Our classes are Tue/Thur 6-7:15 pm (12 and under), 7:20-9 pm (older juniors +12 upto and including adults)."

How does this sound to some of the Judoka on here? (And anyone else, actually) I would just be doing it for something to keep healthy, active, hobby, minimal protection (I know I wont be able to disarm marauding pirates, but the stand up, throwing/takedown focus of judo as opposed to BJJ seems all around better for having to fend off homeless bums on t3h str33ts) and meet some new people.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 11:49pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bob Bass?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 11:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds fine to me, go check it out!
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2013 1:45am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Website links are handy in these kinds of threads.

All around it sounds like any other IJF style Judo club would. My relatively competition style club never drills single/double leg take downs despite the head instructor having both Freestyle Wrestling and Sambo experience. Most younger Judoka aren't taught chokes and arm locks because they are limited in competition (chokes by age bracket and arm locks not generally until brown/black belt level).

I'd say give it a try and if the people are cool, have at it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2013 4:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Bob Bass?
    Yes, at South Bay jiu jitsu. Kind of nervous to check that place out, lest he beats the **** out of me for getting SAMBO Steve involved. The person that emailed me back from their school said that Bob had won the SAMBO pan ams back in '94. Steve said he has no records of that happening and he asked someone who was in Bob's weight class that was there and the dude doesn't remember him.

Then SBJJ contacted Steve and asked for documentation about it! So Steve said that it probably is a place to be avoided but, I might check it out anyways.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2013 4:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    Website links are handy in these kinds of threads.

All around it sounds like any other IJF style Judo club would. My relatively competition style club never drills single/double leg take downs despite the head instructor having both Freestyle Wrestling and Sambo experience. Most younger Judoka aren't taught chokes and arm locks because they are limited in competition (chokes by age bracket and arm locks not generally until brown/black belt level).

I'd say give it a try and if the people are cool, have at it.

Ahh that sucks. Yeah I wish they would have a class for people who were looking to compete, and just go over competition rules and techniques, and then have a general Judo-grappling-wrestling class, that included all the judo techniques, morote-gari, etc.

I know you can just practice them and not use them in randori and stuff but, still. Seems lie more people take it for recreation/exercise/self defense then for competition. But it's not a big deal.

Here's the link:

http://sbjudo.homestead.com/main1.html

It looks good I think, I don't know how competition oriented it is, but I'll try to see when I'm there. I don't know if I'll be able to tell though is the problem.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2013 11:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bob Bass?

Do you know him personally?

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/08/2013 11:41pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bob Bass? I don't know him personally but I've run into the guy a few times and I had one of his students trolling me right outside my only gym. (A story for another time; not epic)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 9:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bob Bass? I don't know him personally but I've run into the guy a few times and I had one of his students trolling me right outside my only gym. (A story for another time; not epic)
    O.K.

Was Bob a douche when you ran into him, or just that student?

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 10:29pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, he was really cool.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast