Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 12:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

ear protection for home defense?

I was at my local range the other day when it occurred to me that I 've never fired a pistol indoors without ear protection. I started wondering if firing my .40 cal. Glock indoors in a home defense scenario, say in a room about 12' x 20', would be potentially incapacitating in any way, and compromise my ability to defend my family.

I've known quite a few LEOs over the years, but never asked any of them this question. Can anyone who's discharged a firearm indoors without ear protection describe the effects? Is this something that should be practiced at least once or twice before it ever becomes necessary?

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 9:26am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Short answer: anytime you shoot indoors without the benefit of earpro, you run the risk of permanent hearing damage. So no, practicing it is not a very good idea. I have a story that is somewhat related to this issue, but I'm on my mobile right now and don't feel like typing it out. I'll try to remember to do so when I get home.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 9:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    I was at my local range the other day when it occurred to me that I 've never fired a pistol indoors without ear protection. I started wondering if firing my .40 cal. Glock indoors in a home defense scenario, say in a room about 12' x 20', would be potentially incapacitating in any way, and compromise my ability to defend my family.

I've known quite a few LEOs over the years, but never asked any of them this question. Can anyone who's discharged a firearm indoors without ear protection describe the effects? Is this something that should be practiced at least once or twice before it ever becomes necessary?
    I haven't fired a weapon indoors without hearing protection but I've fired them indoors with hearing protection and it's plenty loud. I wouldn't suggest practicing indoors without hearing protection at all unless your life would be more satisfying with a constant ringing sound in your ears.

I wouldn't expect firing indoors in a self defense situation to be incapacitating in any way, although I would expect the noise to add to the overall stress of the situation, especially if you've been asleep.

Suppressed weapons are obviously your only remedy. Here's a pretty good video of some suppressed shooting indoors.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 10:43am

staff
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had an ND with my .357 is a small concrete room in my basement (Faulty primer). My right ear was completely deaf for about 4 hours and rang for 2 days.

It would not stop me form shooting a bad guy, but you ain't gonna hear **** for a while afterwards.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 11:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    I had an ND with my .357 is a small concrete room in my basement (Faulty primer). My right ear was completely deaf for about 4 hours and rang for 2 days.

It would not stop me form shooting a bad guy, but you ain't gonna hear **** for a while afterwards.

Consider yourself lucky. My left ear has been ringing since I was fourteen years old and that was from shooting a .44 Magnum outdoors with no hearing protection.

That was a stupid thing to do but I'm not sure why it got me that day and why it was only my left ear that sustained permanent damage. I think maybe where I was standing in relation to a tree on my left is the reason. I knew it was loud as hell but like a stupid kid I kept right on shooting. I had muffled hearing in both ears for about a day after that but the soft but high pitched ringing in my left ear never went away.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 11:15am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would think the legal ramifications of stopping to get earplugs would outweigh the tactical and preventative benefits.

"I had no choice but to shoot, I was in fear for my life."
    "You're saying you had no avenue for survival but lethal force?"
    "At that time, in the heat of the moment, that's what I believed."
    "But you did find time to put in earplugs?"
    "Well, yeah, but..."
    "I see. Is it true you are also a member of the Internet hate group called Bullshido?"
    "Ummm. "
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 12:01pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I haven't fired a weapon indoors without hearing protection but I've fired them indoors with hearing protection and it's plenty loud. I wouldn't suggest practicing indoors without hearing protection at all unless your life would be more satisfying with a constant ringing sound in your ears.

I wouldn't expect firing indoors in a self defense situation to be incapacitating in any way, although I would expect the noise to add to the overall stress of the situation, especially if you've been asleep.

Suppressed weapons are obviously your only remedy. Here's a pretty good video of some suppressed shooting indoors.

I was worried that it could actually shatter an eardrum, particularly if I had to fire from close retention position. From the responses, it doesn't look that way.

A Suppressor is the best answer, but they are definitely pricey. I'd expect to pay more for one than I paid for the Glock, probably at least $600. Not a reason not to get one, but not exactly a spur of the moment purchase. I noticed there's a thread on suppressors, I'll read thru it.

Good video. Unexpected benefit having your smoke alarm go off -- guess I'll have to empty my clip into an intruder to get the same effect.

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 12:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    I was worried that it could actually shatter an eardrum, particularly if I had to fire from close retention position. From the responses, it doesn't look that way.

A Suppressor is the best answer, but they are definitely pricey. I'd expect to pay more for one than I paid for the Glock, probably at least $600. Not a reason not to get one, but not exactly a spur of the moment purchase. I noticed there's a thread on suppressors, I'll read thru it.

Good video. Unexpected benefit having your smoke alarm go off -- guess I'll have to empty my clip into an intruder to get the same effect.
    You're probably not going to be able to obtain a suppressor much longer anyway, so it's likely a moot point.

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 12:14pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You're probably not going to be able to obtain a suppressor much longer anyway, so it's likely a moot point.
    Are you speaking for the Alexandria, VA area or the U.S. in general? Obama's executive orders regarding NFA Trusts are annoying, but I think in general it is getting somewhat easier to obtain silencers as people put pressure on the BATFE to modernize. I keep hoping they'll get the tax stamp down to 5 bucks, personally.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 12:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    I would think the legal ramifications of stopping to get earplugs would outweigh the tactical and preventative benefits.

"I had no choice but to shoot, I was in fear for my life."
    "You're saying you had no avenue for survival but lethal force?"
    "At that time, in the heat of the moment, that's what I believed."
    "But you did find time to put in earplugs?"
    "Well, yeah, but..."
    "I see. Is it true you are also a member of the Internet hate group called Bullshido?"
    "Ummm. "
    Its hard enough waking out of sound sleep and trying to ready myself and the pistol (practiced it a couple of times), adding earplugs to that would definitely make it a challenge. Plus, I'd like to be able to hear what's going on while I'm trying to wake up.

But, I figured that if firing the first round could blow an eardrum, which I hear is pretty painful, then I'd have to consider it. I guess I knew the answer was a suppressor all along, but I've been in denial about spending the bucks.

We're a hate group? I thought we were a club for physical culture enthusiasts.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast