224714 Bullies, 4076 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 8:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Physical Training Advice Needed - Kid's Wrestling

Wanted to get some opinions on my son's physical training. I know there are a lot of PT gurus here. He's almost 11. He's been training BJJ 3-4 times a week for a little over a year. He's in good physical condition.

He just started his first season of youth wrestling. He has wrestling practice twice a week for 90 minutes each practice. He's training BJJ twice a week during wrestling season.

The wrestling practices are fairly intense which is a good thing. Here's my concern though. They've told him to do push ups every day. They switch up the amount of pushups he's supposed to do sometimes. Sometimes it's 50 per day along with 50 situps. This week it's 20 per day, 20 situps and 20 power jumps. So far, it has never been less than 20 per day.

20 pushups isn't a big deal. But every day? They've never mentioned anything to him about resting. Pushups every day doesn't seem like the greatest idea to me. The head coach is an experienced wrestler and has coached at a high level. I fully accept that he may have knowledge about physical training for kids that I don't but I want to be careful. I've been leaning towards making him take some days off from the pushups.

What do you guys think? I'd also be interested to hear from the wrestlers in the crowd. Especially people who are familiar with wrestling programs for kids. Is this a typical routine?

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/26/2013 9:03am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you jerks going to help a brother out, or am I going to have to go to Sherdog where the real experts are?

Posted On:
    11/26/2013 9:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never wrestled, but I strength train. I think daily calisthenics are perfectly fine unless the trainee is weak enough for the exercise to be near-maximal.

Rest days are great, but push-ups aren't necessarily in the class of strenuous strength work that requires rest days. With heavy barbell work done for moderate volume, sure, take rest days between workouts. Fifty push-ups is more like yoga: doing it every day is absolutely fine for many athletes. The volume isn't particularly noteworthy and push-ups shouldn't be a tremendously intense exercise. (If the volume or intensity is hard for the kid, as in he needs to take half an hour to do forty push-ups because he can only do three before needing to rest, then you have a whole different set of concerns.)

If the kid's showing signs of overtraining (general sluggishness, inability to perform, small wounds won't heal, insomnia, lack of appetite), then definitely rest. Four days of training a week can be hard. But twenty push-ups shouldn't even register. Twenty push-ups is like carrying your groceries home from the grocery store three blocks away. Twenty push-ups is the rest day.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    11/26/2013 9:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    I've never wrestled, but I strength train. I think daily calisthenics are perfectly fine unless the trainee is weak enough for the exercise to be near-maximal.

Rest days are great, but push-ups aren't necessarily in the class of strenuous strength work that requires rest days. With heavy barbell work done for moderate volume, sure, take rest days between workouts. Fifty push-ups is more like yoga: doing it every day is absolutely fine for many athletes. The volume isn't particularly noteworthy and push-ups shouldn't be a tremendously intense exercise. (If the volume or intensity is hard for the kid, as in he needs to take half an hour to do forty push-ups because he can only do three before needing to rest, then you have a whole different set of concerns.)

If the kid's showing signs of overtraining (general sluggishness, inability to perform, small wounds won't heal, insomnia, lack of appetite), then definitely rest. Four days of training a week can be hard. But twenty push-ups shouldn't even register. Twenty push-ups is like carrying your groceries home from the grocery store three blocks away. Twenty push-ups is the rest day.
    Good points. Let me think on that. I may have more questions.

Posted On:
    11/26/2013 10:18am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, I chewed on that for a few minutes. That makes sense to me - at least with adults or teenagers that are accustomed to strength training.

The only remaining concern for me is that he's basically a noob to this kind of exercise. It's not like he's working out with weights and the pushups will be for his light days. He's been grappling for a while and overall he's strong for his size but if he does 50 correct pushups over 3 sets or so I do believe it will be pushing his limits a bit. He's been doing pushups during warmups in BJJ but it's usually like 10 at a time. So this will be the most he's ever done.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/26/2013 10:25am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    50 isn't a ton to me, or you and I grew up in different eras. I grew up when PE wasn't an elective and we did it everyday in grade school.

Sometimes it's 50 per day along with 50 situps. This week it's 20 per day, 20 situps and 20 power jumps. So far, it has never been less than 20 per day.
    Now, I'd have to understand these BJJ and wrestling workouts, but this doesn't sound like much on its own.

Posted On:
    11/26/2013 10:34am

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    It's not like he's working out with weights and the pushups will be for his light days.
    Nor should he be at that age. If 50 is too much for him, help him work towards that.

Posted On:
    11/26/2013 10:35am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    50 isn't a ton to me, or you and I grew up in different eras. I grew up when PE wasn't an elective and we did it everyday in grade school.
    I never did 50 pushups a day in PE class when I was 10 years old. I'm just telling the truth. Maybe if I had I would think nothing of it.

The reason this made me raise an eyebrow in the first place is that I wondered if (for a noob kid) 50 pushups would cause the kind of muscle fatigue that a more experienced athlete would only experience from heavier weight lifting.

I want him to do the exercises. I want him to train hard. And like I said, I can fully accept the idea that his coach knows exactly what he's doing and my concerns are unwarranted. In fact, I hope that's the case. Nevertheless, I'm interested in the Bully consensus.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/26/2013 11:05am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    50 pushups a day shouldn't be a problem for a couple reasons. As stated above the volume of exercise will not be so much to cause him to need more rest time. If he were in the hundreds, maybe. But another issue is that he is younger and his recovery time is a lot quicker at this point in his life. He should be able to do 20 pushups every day before practice just as a warm up.

Then add the wrestling style into the mix. He will build up to a lot more than that eventually. If he stays with it, he will get to the point where he is doing pushups, squats, penetration steps, bridges, and burpies every practice. Then he will be needing that wrest day. Wrestling workouts are brutal, but they will build him up to it gradually.

Don't worry, he will be fine.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    11/26/2013 11:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good feedback from everyone. Appreciate it. You've made me feel better. Guess I won't have to go to Sherdog after all.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast