Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/17/2013 6:27pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!

The objective picture. Hendricks was robbed: by the numbers-

An analytical view of the worst MMA decision of 2013.
    Some may have forgotten the fight of the worst mma decision in the history of the UFC. If you need a reference point watch the 2010 fight between Nam Phan vs Leonard Garcia; “The Ultimate Fighter Season 12”

We’re talking about UFC 167, the main event, George Saint Pierre versus Johnny Hendricks.
    Let’s walk through this fight round by round objectively;

Round 1
    @4:48 GSP ducks under Hendricks right hook for a double leg. Hendricks attempts a butterfly and GSP transitions to a guillotine which Hendricks uses to bring the fight back to the feet @4:36.

Between 4:37 &3:45 Both competitors clinch with Hendricks landing5 knees (all landing) 1 body hook GSP 5 knees (3 landed solid)3 body hooks. Hendricks put GSP onto cage, referee breaks and separates them @ 3:45

@3:38 Hendrick lands and uppercut; GSP attempts single leg and presses Hendricks against cage. GSP taps Hendricks with a total of 8 uppercuts, Hendricks hits 4 power uppercuts and 5 downward elbows then switches GSP onto the cage after 1 knee by GSP @2:59.

Hendricks scores 3 knees to GSP’s thighs to 1 GSP knee before scoring a double leg @ 2:34.

@2:22 GSP fence climbs to the feet no significant damage by either. Both GSP and Hendricks throw 1 knee each GSP looks like it just glanced; they separate @the 2 minute mark.

In the last 2 minutes Hendricks landed 16 shots to GSP’s 15 shots. Significant shots for Hendricks 1 knee to the head 2 knees to thigh1 left hook. Significant strikes by GSP 1 glancing head kick, 1 side kick.

Round 1 GSP 1 take down, Hendricks 1 takedown. Hendricks scores 36 strikes GSP 26 Strikes.

Round 2
    Basically a stand up battle. Hendricks threw mostly power and GSP threw mostly jabs and precision attacks. Hendricks scores 62 strikes actually landing to GSP 52 strikes landing.

Round 3
    Up until 34 seconds this was pretty much a stand up battle. GSP manage to land 52 shot to Hendricks 36 shots.

Hendricks presses the attack and take GSP down GSP manages to land 2 tip tap shots off his back as Hendrick lands 8 significant shots before GSP manages to stand up in the last 10 seconds and throws 1 last knee to Hendrick’s thigh while Hendricks counter with 2 body shots before the bell.

Round 3 ends GSP 55 strikes 42 strikes with 1 take down and some damage done.

Round 4
    GSP manages to land 15 significant strikes to 7 Hendricks strikes before Hendricks manages to trip St. Pierre and bring the fight to the ground @3:53.
    Hendricks lands 25 significant strikes to GSP’s 11 tapping strikes before letting GSP up @ 2:45.

GSP lands 14 strikes to Hendricks 11 Hendricks. GSP attempts a take down at this point before being put against the cage@1:12 by Hendricks.
    They remain in the clinch as GSP finishes the round with 4 significant strikes to Hendricks 8 shots, mostly knees.

Overall 44 strikes GSP to Hendricks52 strikes and 1 Takedown with control.

Round 5

GSP comes out aggressive. Hendricks only manages to hit him 8 times and a failed standing armbar to GSP’s 16 hits (albeit not very powerful @3:43.
    GSP lands 8 significant strikes after a short scramble to Hendricks 1 shot and scores a takedown @3:13.

Hendricks manages to scramble back to his feet taking on 1 knee from GSP. There was no significant control. Hendricks on lands 2 significant knees while fight for pummels and takedowns against GSP. GSP scores a total of 6 shots before referee Mario Yamasaki separates the two @ 1:51.

GSP scores 6 shots before gaining another single leg versus Hendricks 1 shot @39, but could not hold him down as Hendricks immediately bounces back. Hendricks manages 1 knee while GSP tries to muscle a submission to no avail as the bell rings.

Final round tally: 12 strikes for Hendricks to 37 shots and 1.75 takedowns by GSP.

You score a match on Effective techniques, control and aggressiveness. What techniques were effective for GSP? Round 5. Who had control and was more aggressive in all those rounds? Hendricks, except round 5. Nobody should give this fight to GSP. All arguments on behalf of GSP are completely illogical and unfounded. 16 experts in the area agree with the scoring of 47-48 for Hendricks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2013 6:39pm

Style: Em Tee/JewDough/BeeJayJay

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good write-up!

I tried to do some research on the judges (Tony Weeks, Sal D'Amato and Gren Trowbridge) and nothing came up as far as combat sports experience goes. I wonder if the Athletic Commissions actually required judges who at least trained or even compete in combat sports, would help prevent bad scoring/decisions in MMA.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/17/2013 6:42pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No they don't. Unfortunately this is the same for most states.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2013 11:44pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great post Omega. I was pretty surprised when they gave GSP the nod (I think he was too). Unified Rules MMA judging continues to be a travesty. I can understand why (especially in the 10 point must system) an ignorant judge might give GSP the closer rounds that he needed, but I can't say I would agree with them.

Was it round 2 that GSP was really rocked and the action ended up stopping cuz Yamasaki wanted Hendricks to put his mouthpiece back in?

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/17/2013 11:50pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    Great post Omega. I was pretty surprised when they gave GSP the nod (I think he was too). Unified Rules MMA judging continues to be a travesty. I can understand why (especially in the 10 point must system) an ignorant judge might give GSP the closer rounds that he needed, but I can't say I would agree with them.

Was it round 2 that GSP was really rocked and the action ended up stopping cuz Yamasaki wanted Hendricks to put his mouthpiece back in?
    Yes, I thought it was a bad decision but it had to happen.

There was also a confusion with Joe Rogan thinking GSP's accidentally fell in the fourth round. It was a deliberate or accidental trip.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2013 12:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Yes, I thought it was a bad decision but it had to happen.

There was also a confusion with Joe Rogan thinking GSP's accidentally fell in the fourth round. It was a deliberate or accidental trip.
    Yah, I noticed that as well. If it was intentional, it was well timed.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    11/18/2013 2:46am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post

to be fair i always think its a bit horrible when they dont put the mouthguard back in immediately. ever been stung with an uppercut sans mouthguard? i have and now i have a chipped tooth. and that was sparring with 16oz gloves. you could permanently **** up someones mouth to british levels if you smash their face with no mouthguard in.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/18/2013 2:52am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good evaluation ,Omega.
    Based on that summary, it seems that Hendricks may have deserved to get the win.
    The intangible factor here is that GSP is the one who walked into the ring with the belt.
    Razor thin decisions in title fights will almost always go in favor of the champ.
    Coming out strong in the final round always makes an impression on the judges as well.
    If Hendricks had been the one to come out guns blazing in the 5th, he would have won.
    But he didn't.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2013 3:08am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great write up. I gotta rewatch the fight myself, but everything syncs up with my memory of the bout and the level of detail here is impressive.

My only point of contention is that Hatsu Hioki vs Clay Guida happened this year, and I think that was a slightly worse decision.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2013 4:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    to be fair i always think its a bit horrible when they dont put the mouthguard back in immediately. ever been stung with an uppercut sans mouthguard? i have and now i have a chipped tooth. and that was sparring with 16oz gloves. you could permanently **** up someones mouth to british levels if you smash their face with no mouthguard in.
    I agree, I wasn't trying to imply that Yamasaki fucked up in any way. I think he stopped them after they had clinched up, which is as good a time as any. Hendricks unfortunately didn't jump on the obviously rocked GSP, he sorta watched him stanky leg and then clinched up. I was just trying to remember when that whole sequence happened after reading through Omega's outline of the fight.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast