Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 1:47am

Style: Submitting Myself/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

First Injury

Hey guys. This is my first thread on the WMA forum. I hope it's in the right place.

Today was my birthday, and I chose to still go to train because I felt like it's important to keep training regularly.

I kind of regret it now.

Sanda training went well, I always enjoy it (I know, not Western, but I'll get to it). Than came submission wrestling practice (western, Catch wrestling). I got Grovited (like a headlock, but the face is cross-faced, so it turns into a neck crank) to the point where my feet were no longer touching the ground, but I have a real flexible neck and it didn't hurt so I didn't tap. It still bothers me though, because it was really dangerous. My neck doesn't hurt but, I don't know, maybe I messed it up somehow, like stretched the vertebrae or something. I''m not a doctor so I don't know.

Then I got face-locked, but both my hands were pinned, and my mouth got covered, and it turned into a jaw lock, and I couldn't yell tap. My jaw near my ear popped, and that scared me a little (and hurt like a mother) too.

Last thing that happened, one of my training partners was attempting a single leg, and my foot pointed down or something, and "pop" goes my ankle. I'm thinking, "Holy ****. I just broke my ankle." I think the joint just rolled over each other. (Good thing I'm double jointed I guess?) But it hurts pretty bad and, yet again, scared me shitless.

I enjoy Sanda, because it has a lot of traditional wrestling in it, it only goes to a throw like a lot of the traditional wrestling styles, Western styles, but pretty much the world over many styles go to a throw. My coach wanted me to do Catch, and it's right after Sanda class. I don't know what to do. I'm getting better but I get scared shitless when we do neck cranks and heel hooks, stuff that could really **** you up, you know?

If I was really interested in it I would probably be o.k. with the risk, but since I'm mostly interested in the Sanda class, it would suck to get seriously injured by the class I'm not totally into anyways.

I really don't want my coach and the wrestling class guys to think I'm just going to puss out the one time I get actually injured, but I guess that's kind of what's happening.

So, hopefully everyone doesn't think I'm a *****, and they have some ideas to share.

(If the moderaters want to move this to somewhere they feel it would be more appropriate, than please do.)

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 2:05am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Worrying about being thought of as a ***** is not a worthwhile way to spend your time.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 2:19am

Style: Submitting Myself/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    Worrying about being thought of as a ***** is not a worthwhile way to spend your time.

I know. Maybe my choice of terms could have been better. You know the guy that quits whenever anything gets tough? I don't want them to think I'm that guy. Because I try hard to train as hard as I can and not be that guy.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 2:27am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah being thought of as a quitter isn't a great boost. That said, having had way too many injuries I wish now that I had not put myself in what turned out to be dangerous places. Life is long and hopefully you'll have lots of training ahead. Perhaps you might listen to yourself and back away? There's plenty of time to cross train and at some time you might feel that the training that isn't safe now will be OK.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 9:31am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.HoneyBadger View Post
    I know. Maybe my choice of terms could have been better. You know the guy that quits whenever anything gets tough? I don't want them to think I'm that guy. Because I try hard to train as hard as I can and not be that guy.
    There's a difference between quitting because things got tough, and saying "enough - anything more will break something." The ability to endure is admirable; the ability to risk your health because you're worried that you won't be perceived as tough is not.

Here's the thing: injuries do not heal. I mean yeah, the damage repairs, the pain stops, but there is still structural imperfection lurking. This is cumulative. This is eventually life-changing.

Do you want to (as the Dog Brother motto goes) "walk as a warrior for all of our days" or be the guy who says "yeah, I used to train martial arts until someone fucked up my neck for me"?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 9:55am

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    There's a difference between quitting because things got tough, and saying "enough - anything more will break something." The ability to endure is admirable; the ability to risk your health because you're worried that you won't be perceived as tough is not.

Here's the thing: injuries do not heal. I mean yeah, the damage repairs, the pain stops, but there is still structural imperfection lurking. This is cumulative. This is eventually life-changing.

Do you want to (as the Dog Brother motto goes) "walk as a warrior for all of our days" or be the guy who says "yeah, I used to train martial arts until someone fucked up my neck for me"?
    All the injuries you sustain now will be revisited someday, to remind you of your glorious youth. Trust me on this.

Also, a martial artist should be someone who can fight anytime. But you can't fight if you're always busted up.

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 10:25am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    All the injuries you sustain now will be revisited someday, to remind you of your glorious youth. Trust me on this.
    Chili Pepper and CapnMunchh - proud members of Team Ibuprofen.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 11:11am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then I got face-locked, but both my hands were pinned, and my mouth got covered, and it turned into a jaw lock, and I couldn't yell tap. My jaw near my ear popped, and that scared me a little (and hurt like a mother) too.
    Tap with your feet, I have even tapped with my fingers even my hands were tied although you can't always do that.

Injuries can find you at anytime, I am currently hobbling around on a twisted ankle I injured during a Judo session, was it in a massive throw? No I fell over playing two touch rugby (played as a bit of a fitness game) that in an unavoidable injury I couldn't have seen coming but don't get injured by something you have seen coming!

If you are not comfortable doing Catch Wrestling then don't do it, being afraid of injury will increase your risk of injury. Why not talk to your coach about your concerns, I know you are worried about how you come across but he may well be able to put your fears to rest or if he is not interested in trying you will know its time to take your training else where

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 1:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys. This is my first thread on the WMA forum. I hope it's in the right place.

Today was my birthday, and I chose to still go to train because I felt like it's important to keep training regularly.

I kind of regret it now.

Sanda training went well, I always enjoy it (I know, not Western, but I'll get to it). Than came submission wrestling practice (western, Catch wrestling). I got Grovited (like a headlock, but the face is cross-faced, so it turns into a neck crank) to the point where my feet were no longer touching the ground, but I have a real flexible neck and it didn't hurt so I didn't tap. It still bothers me though, because it was really dangerous. My neck doesn't hurt but, I don't know, maybe I messed it up somehow, like stretched the vertebrae or something. I''m not a doctor so I don't know.

Last thing that happened, one of my training partners was attempting a single leg, and my foot pointed down or something, and "pop" goes my ankle. I'm thinking, "Holy ****. I just broke my ankle." I think the joint just rolled over each other. (Good thing I'm double jointed I guess?) But it hurts pretty bad and, yet again, scared me shitless.

I enjoy Sanda, because it has a lot of traditional wrestling in it, it only goes to a throw like a lot of the traditional wrestling styles, Western styles, but pretty much the world over many styles go to a throw. My coach wanted me to do Catch, and it's right after Sanda class. I don't know what to do. I'm getting better but I get scared shitless when we do neck cranks and heel hooks, stuff that could really **** you up, you know?

If I was really interested in it I would probably be o.k. with the risk, but since I'm mostly interested in the Sanda class, it would suck to get seriously injured by the class I'm not totally into anyways.

I really don't want my coach and the wrestling class guys to think I'm just going to puss out the one time I get actually injured, but I guess that's kind of what's happening.

So, hopefully everyone doesn't think I'm a *****, and they have some ideas to share.

(If the moderaters want to move this to somewhere they feel it would be more appropriate, than please do.)

This will be my standard rant on part of what you wrote.

Who the **** keeps cranking anybody's neck in FUCKING TRAINING until the have lifted their TRAININNG PARTNER off of the GODDAMN FLOOR ????

And, why didn't you tap the **** out way before then, despite your supposedly flexible neck?

Same thing for the "facelock"...it's training, and the guy (assuming a male) goes ahead and pops your jaw? If he knows anything he knows that he has the lock or whatever effectively in place, you were trapped, so why crank it?

Plus, nobody taught you to tap with your feet when your hands are tied up?

It sounds to me like you really ought to be scared shitless doing neck cranks and heel hooks, those are advanced techniques that injure pretty much without warning, as opposed to arm bars to the elbow which actually hurt a lot before injury. Plus, your training partner(s) seem to have a shall we say lack of sensitivity, control, or care, experience.

If you don't like Catch, don't do it. Or get your coach to have a talk with everyone about how far to take a technique, and when to tap.

/end rant
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 1:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a minor FYI: the term "double-jointed" means absolutely nothing.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast