Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2013 10:32pm

Style: Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What is the usefulness of a crescent kick?

I have hung around here enough to discover that a lot of traditional martial arts training methods (specific stances, kata, etc) are pretty handy when you recognize the intended use of the "moves". For instance, during my ATA tae kwon do days, there was this stupid double up-down windshield wiper looking block that I thought was useless. My instructor showed my how it was actually an arm wrap that could be turned into a wrist lock/kimura/ude garame. And a long TKD/Karate front stance is basically the position a proper tai otoshi requires.

I have been wondering if there is a point to crescent kicks. Granted, they helped me get useless zero-contact points for head kicks during ATA sparring. But they don't seem directly useful in combat. At crescent kicking ranges it seems like punches, elbows, and knees are way more effective. But I do think it helped me loosen my hips and learn the looseness of leg that a MT style low kick seems to require.

Any other ideas about the "real" use of this "kick"?

disclaimer: I know shogun and others have landed crescent-like tornado kicks. So maybe they are more effective kicks than I realize.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2013 10:49pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like throwing high crescent kicks to practice balance and to stretch my hips, but otherwise, I personally like lower kicks. However, I've learned that kicking is very useful for making your opponent lose a fight.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2013 10:55pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by csharp.negative View Post
    I like throwing high crescent kicks to practice balance and to stretch my hips, but otherwise, I personally like lower kicks. However, I've learned that kicking is very useful for making your opponent lose a fight.
    Not many can throw a decent cresent kick.

Personaly, I like it, but do recognized the possible damage to the knee from repeated kicks.

My best use is as a diversionary tactic, followed by the spinning heel or hook kick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2013 10:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by csharp.negative View Post
    That is the most useful thing (stretching/warmup) I have found for it as well. I am not questioning kicking in general, just the typical TKD or Wushu style crescent kick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2013 11:02pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post

Personaly, I like it, but do recognized the possible damage to the knee from repeated kicks.

My best use is as a diversionary tactic, followed by the spinning heel or hook kick.
    It seems like the diversion of the first crescent kick is what has made the few famous tornado kick KOs in MMA possible.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 12:24am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In knockdown competition, the crescent kick can be used similarly to a high round kick, coming up over the shoulder at close range and hitting with the shin. In self protection type stuff, the crescent kick is usually a stand-in (and not a great one) for angled pushing or displacing kicks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 1:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugeisha View Post
    In knockdown competition, the crescent kick can be used similarly to a high round kick, coming up over the shoulder at close range and hitting with the shin. In self protection type stuff, the crescent kick is usually a stand-in (and not a great one) for angled pushing or displacing kicks.
    That's part of what I was wondering, if, say a thai high kick (without chamber) is basically a crescent kick with a more reasonable path and target. The relaxed leg and movement generated out of the step and hip rather than a chambered kick seem similar to how I was taught to throw a crescent kick. Not sure about the inside to outside crescent kick yet though.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 1:52am

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post

Crescent kicks definitely made my knees hurt from being blocked repeatedly during sparring. They're fun to use, but to deal with situations where I might really get hurt, I'd prefer low kicks -- faster and don't compromise balance as much. Minimizes risk.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 8:54am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    I have hung around here enough to discover that a lot of traditional martial arts training methods (specific stances, kata, etc) are pretty handy when you recognize the intended use of the "moves". For instance, during my ATA tae kwon do days, there was this stupid double up-down windshield wiper looking block that I thought was useless. My instructor showed my how it was actually an arm wrap that could be turned into a wrist lock/kimura/ude garame. And a long TKD/Karate front stance is basically the position a proper tai otoshi requires.

I have been wondering if there is a point to crescent kicks. Granted, they helped me get useless zero-contact points for head kicks during ATA sparring. But they don't seem directly useful in combat. At crescent kicking ranges it seems like punches, elbows, and knees are way more effective. But I do think it helped me loosen my hips and learn the looseness of leg that a MT style low kick seems to require.

Any other ideas about the "real" use of this "kick"?

disclaimer: I know shogun and others have landed crescent-like tornado kicks. So maybe they are more effective kicks than I realize.

First, I would be wary of "real" grappling moves a karate or TKD instructor shows you that are supposedly the true purpose of a movement in a kata or drill. This is a silly game some instructors like to play. They get off when they think they've found the hidden meaning of a form. It's mostly just talk that helps them justify bullshit like impractical technique in a kata.

So, to your question about crescent kicks. It's a kick. If you kick someone in the face with a crescent kick, they will most likely not find it pleasant. So, that's good.

Most people who practice technique like this are wasting their time because they can't fight. They spend way too much time on flashy technique and not enough time on the fundamentals of fighting.

Crescent kicks have their place though. Great fighters can utilize pretty much any kick they want because they're so solid in all areas that they can employ lower percentage techniques and not get murdered if the technique fails. Think Anderson Silva.

I guess my point is that any technique can be useful, but a fighter should make these type of kicks the icing on the cake of his training. They shouldn't be relied on as the main arsenal.

And to answer your main question - I don't think there's any secret intended meaning or use of the kick. It's just another kick.

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 9:13am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In capoeira, we throw a lot of crescent kicks, because we throw a lot of crescent kicks in capoeira.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast