223502 Bullies, 3688 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 26
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Krijgsman is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    557

    Posted On:
    10/08/2013 6:11pm


     Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    "Modern" Arnis?

    Hey folks. I have been looking into some FMA places in the general Pasadena CA area. I can't really afford to go to Inosanto's, and its a little far from my house. But I found Toma's Modern Arnis in Burbank, which is a reasonable distance from my place.

    I am just checking if anyone knows about Toma's. I will link the website, which has a history of where Thomas (Toma) Rosenzweig's arnis training and the background of Modern Arnis, but since I am a total FMA noob I am ignorant as to whether the names he lists are worth any weight.

    http://www.tomamodernarnis.com/index.html

    Thanks very much for your input. I guess if nothing else I can just pop in for the trail lesson, if no one is familiar here.
  2. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,512

    Posted On:
    10/08/2013 6:20pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Modern arnis is not necessarily well liked by some of the older eskrimadores out there. Reasons include his boasting about his art, lack of actually fighting with it, extensive twirling-for-the-sake-of-twirling stickwork, and alliance with George Dillman. OTOH, the FMAs are full of people who badmouth others to make themselves look better, including some old timers.

    I have no personal history or strong opinion of the art though. I'm not sure if the school in question gears up and spars either- there's no sparring gear on their stuff for sale page or links.
  3. Krijgsman is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    557

    Posted On:
    10/08/2013 6:30pm


     Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Modern arnis is not necessarily well liked by some of the older eskrimadores out there. Reasons include his boasting about his art, lack of actually fighting with it, extensive twirling-for-the-sake-of-twirling stickwork, and alliance with George Dillman. OTOH, the FMAs are full of people who badmouth others to make themselves look better, including some old timers.

    I have no personal history or strong opinion of the art though. I'm not sure if the school in question gears up and spars either- there's no sparring gear on their stuff for sale page or links.

    Good points. I made use of the search feature here (which probably should have been done first) and found a pretty wide range of opinions on Modern Arnis, but a general wariness. Which was disappointing, of course. Maybe I will just email the place and ask if they actually spar. Digging into the site more carefully shows the instructor also trains aikido, which (at least to my skeptical Judoka mind) is a warning bell
  4. blindside is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kennewick, WA
    Posts
    76

    Posted On:
    10/08/2013 6:35pm


     Style: Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    Hey folks. I have been looking into some FMA places in the general Pasadena CA area. I can't really afford to go to Inosanto's, and its a little far from my house. But I found Toma's Modern Arnis in Burbank, which is a reasonable distance from my place.
    I have no opinion on that instructor, but I believe Nick Papadakis teaches out of North Hollywood.

    Found it:
    http://www.valleymac.com/kali.html

    And apparently so do Poi from this forum, and the price is ridiculously good.
  5. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,512

    Posted On:
    10/08/2013 6:43pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If training with Pappy Dog is an option, you should definitely do it. Poidog too, but I don't think he's in NoHo permanently.

    Speaking of which, there's a NoHo Dog Bros clan you could look up. I'm friends with a few of them. One of them paints the fancy character fencing masks you see in gathering vids (he was my first stickfight at a gathering too, ended with me being reverse mounted and stabbed in the taint).
  6. Krijgsman is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    557

    Posted On:
    10/08/2013 6:56pm


     Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent. That is encouraging. I will investigate them. I also found an Inosanto affiliate http://www.kalijkd.com/index.php but they are WAY more expensive than I can justify right now.

    Holy bajeezus the dog bros prices are acceptable. *chinscratchy*
    Their schedule isn't real good for me, but its good to at least know for the future. Does anyone know if they do empty hand as well as stick/knife?
    Last edited by Krijgsman; 10/08/2013 7:03pm at .
  7. Chili Pepper is online now
    Chili Pepper's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,169

    Posted On:
    10/08/2013 9:31pm


     Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    ... and found a pretty wide range of opinions on Modern Arnis, but a general wariness.
    I'd say the reason for that is because of the way Remy Presas disseminated his art. He did seminars all over the place (when nobody else was really promoting FMA), and billed it as "the art that fits in with any art". What you ended up with was TKD'ers doing some arnis but with a TKD flavour to it, etc.

    So, method and proficiency varied wildly. Presas achieved a great deal, and FMA would not be as wide-spread if it wasn't for him, but there are downsides to it too.

    (full disclosure - I was originally taught Modern Arnis, although my guro had already stripped it down before teaching it to me, and I did so even further before I started teaching)
  8. Krijgsman is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    557

    Posted On:
    10/08/2013 11:20pm


     Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    I'd say the reason for that is because of the way Remy Presas disseminated his art. He did seminars all over the place (when nobody else was really promoting FMA), and billed it as "the art that fits in with any art". What you ended up with was TKD'ers doing some arnis but with a TKD flavour to it, etc.

    So, method and proficiency varied wildly. Presas achieved a great deal, and FMA would not be as wide-spread if it wasn't for him, but there are downsides to it too.

    (full disclosure - I was originally taught Modern Arnis, although my guro had already stripped it down before teaching it to me, and I did so even further before I started teaching)
    Yah, that was the impression I was getting from the threads I found (here and elsewhere). That is part of why the Toma's Aikido concerned me. But the Valley Marial Arts pekiti-tirsia kali with Nick "Pappy" Papadakis and Roan 'Poidog' Grimm is closer and more affordable anyway, so if I have time ever (maybe next quarter) I may go there. But their schedule conflicts with my Judo and work hours currently.
  9. poidog is offline
    poidog's Avatar

    Competition Team Tag...yes?

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sanctum Sanctorum, SoCal
    Posts
    1,383

    Posted On:
    10/09/2013 12:19am

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    Yah, that was the impression I was getting from the threads I found (here and elsewhere). That is part of why the Toma's Aikido concerned me. But the Valley Marial Arts pekiti-tirsia kali with Nick "Pappy" Papadakis and Roan 'Poidog' Grimm is closer and more affordable anyway, so if I have time ever (maybe next quarter) I may go there. But their schedule conflicts with my Judo and work hours currently.
    Hey Krijgsman,

    What times are you looking at for training? The VMAC classes are Monday, Wednesday and Thursday - 7-8 p.m. Nick teaches the Monday class, Dave "Stray Dog" Rothburg teaches the Wednesday class (he teaches a kali & western deuling blend - James Keating material - fun stuff!) and I teach the Thursday class - although we sometimes cover each others classes during schedule conflicts. Saturday mornings 10-Noon is the NoHo clan class/training sessions, and I also have a more classical FMA class Sunday mornings 9:30-11.

    NoHo clan sessions are predominantly stick/knife emphasis, with some empty hand application and stickgrappling - think of it as mostly Gathering prep work. Let me know if you want more info regarding the classes or contact info for any of us. All the best.

    Aloha, Poi
    Last edited by poidog; 10/09/2013 12:23am at . Reason: More info
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa
  10. poidog is offline
    poidog's Avatar

    Competition Team Tag...yes?

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sanctum Sanctorum, SoCal
    Posts
    1,383

    Posted On:
    10/09/2013 12:35am

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    ...Does anyone know if they do empty hand as well as stick/knife?
    Sorry, missed this in my initial reply.

    I know we all cover empty hand in our personal classes and private classes, but at VMAC, I'm not sure if Nick and Dave cover that material (it's been a while since I dropped in on one of their classes). I cover EH material during my VMAC classes, but not a lot of emphasis on it. Mostly as integration with whatever stick/blade material we were covering that night.

    I do go into a lot more EH material during my Sunday classes.

    Aloha, Poi
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.