Page 1 of 75 1 23451151 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2013 10:51am

Style: Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!

US Goverment Shutdown

Iíve been watching the various news items regarding the partial shutdown of the US Federal government with a mixture of incredulity and almost (but not quite) amusement. To a non-US citizen I cannot get my head around how US politicians are prepared to see thousands of Federal employees sent home without pay to forward their various political agendas. There is also the economic impact of any drawn out stalemate to not just the US economy but to the wider world economy.

I donít intend to take sides in this argument (as far as Iím concerned thatís up to the folk in the US) but I am concerned of the potential long term impact on the rest of the world if this drags on.

Is the US as polarised on this issue as the US political establishment would suggest? Or are people seriously under impressed with their politicians?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/01/2013 11:21am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    Is the US as polarised on this issue as the US political establishment would suggest? Or are people seriously under impressed with their politicians?
    Correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    10/01/2013 12:31pm

staff
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right now, our two main political parties are so polarized, they have begun objecting to each others' ideas on the sole condition that the other side wants it.

The shutdown is the "nuclear" option in American Brinksmanship wherein both sides will blame the other for any negative fallout.

The electorate is so confused by the complexity of the issues, they will simply re-elect whichever politician they have warmer feelings for. So as long as your re-election machine can generate positive feelings for you among your constituency, there is really no consequence for the intransigence. Studies have shown that even though congress has a collective 13% approval rating, virtually every incumbent legislator will get re-elected anyway.

You job is to convince your voters that everyone ELSE is the douchebag. Once accomplished, you are free to do as you please.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    10/01/2013 12:45pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	government.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	15447

Really, it's just the next thing we're supposed to get all excited about that will end up being nothing but a tiny speed bump. It happened before in 1995, I think, when I was in the military.

It's stupid politics but it's really not going to be a big deal. They'll straighten it out (or as close to straight as you can get with the government) soon enough. The sky is not falling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2013 1:26pm

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    If the Senate's budget -- which says nothing about defunding or delaying Obamacare -- were allowed to come to a vote in the House of Representatives, it would pass. It would pass because America in general and Congress in particular are not really as polarized as it appears. What is happening right now is that a polarized minority who didn't get their way are holding the majority hostage in a last-ditch attempt to get their way. It's not going to work, of course, but this is what pissed-off minorities do: they hold onto their audience as long as they can before they are ushered off into irrelevancy.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    10/01/2013 1:42pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the larger issue of polarized political parties, Scrapper is right. We Americans fucking hate each other's guts. That's the truth.

As a nation we're as polarized as we've been since the Civil War. It wouldn't take a whole hell of a lot to get a fight started. I mean a real fucking fight with bodies stacked six feet high.

Posted On:
    10/01/2013 1:52pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    On the larger issue of polarized political parties, Scrapper is right. We Americans fucking hate each other's guts. That's the truth.

As a nation we're as polarized as we've been since the Civil War. It wouldn't take a whole hell of a lot to get a fight started. I mean a real fucking fight with bodies stacked six feet high.
    Yes we all do hate each other, but we also hate movement that requires getting off the couch, I don't really see America as a whole putting the effort into a fight at home. Most people are just full of hot air.

Posted On:
    10/01/2013 1:58pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Yes we all do hate each other, but we also hate movement that requires getting off the couch, I don't really see America as a whole putting the effort into a fight at home. Most people are just full of hot air.
    People are afraid of consequences. People are afraid of prison. Add some sort of catalyst such as a failure of government authority and we'll be killing the **** out of each other in short order.

Posted On:
    10/01/2013 2:04pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    People are afraid of consequences. People are afraid of prison. Add some sort of catalyst such as a failure of government authority and we'll be killing the **** out of each other in short order.
    Is that a hint of glee I sense in your post?

That's "glee" the emotion, not the television musical series.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    10/01/2013 2:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If only people would get fired up about this ****, maybe something would get done.

While the media is lamenting the shutdown of "non-essential," services, like PandaCam and the Grand Canyon, there are those of us who wonder why the government is allowed to have "non-essential," services in the first place. If we can live without these things, let's cut them out now. That's a CR I can get behind.
Page 1 of 75 1 23451151 ... LastLast