Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    9/26/2013 1:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gym quirks

We all have them. Those silly routines we do for no particular reason, but if you don't it fucks up your day. We might as well share them for everyones amusement.

When I set up for a benchpress, the bar has has to be square with the rafters of the roof above me. I've stripped all the weight off the bench just to move it a few millimeters before. OCD much?

I also secretely hope that the guy doing bi-cep curls in the squat rack has something VERY heavy fall on him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2013 3:37pm

Style: Injured

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After training I always do a squat stretch into a frogstand into a headstand for no apparent reason.

I still don't know why I'm doing these.

I'm lucky/unlucky I'm one of the three guys that squat in my gym. The state of bodybuilding and strength training in my country is kind of archaic.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2013 12:41am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before I deadlift I kick the bar with my shins. There is no point to it, and one time I gave myself a serious bruise. But my deadlift keeps going up, so **** if I am gonna change it.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    9/27/2013 7:20am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I too, square the bench bar with the rafters. The bar must also be perfectly centered on the posts
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/27/2013 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I work out with Indian clubs, so quirks abound.

Posted On:
    9/27/2013 5:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like people to give up the fucking equipment so I can train through when they are resting...."I've just got one more set"....no you haven't, learn the etiquette, you're only renting the kit, you don't own it....and I got called an 'idiot'.

Strong words that almost made me take a step back ;-)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2013 6:12pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    I like people to give up the fucking equipment so I can train through when they are resting...."I've just got one more set"....no you haven't, learn the etiquette, you're only renting the kit, you don't own it....and I got called an 'idiot'.

Strong words that almost made me take a step back ;-)
    People are welcome to work in with me, assuming they are going to help load and unload the bar and are doing a reasonably similar exercise. But if you expect to come work in, make me unload my 300lbs of weight, toss on some 2.5lb weights and do wrist curls in the squat rack, and wander off... well that's not going to happen.

Really though, if someone asks me how many sets I have left I answer and then offer to let them work in. Almost nobody takes the offer.

Posted On:
    9/28/2013 2:37am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I pace about ten metres back and forth while looking menacingly at the weights on the bar in the squat rack. I realise that I'm not intimidating pieces of metal, but I'm forcing myself into the mindset of a battle. Also keeps the blood flowing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    9/28/2013 3:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    I pace about ten metres back and forth while looking menacingly at the weights on the bar in the squat rack. I realise that I'm not intimidating pieces of metal, but I'm forcing myself into the mindset of a battle. Also keeps the blood flowing.
    Lol I think I do something similiar when im setting new PR's on lifts that scare me.

When I moved to a new town last summer I was going to a local gym a lot waiting for work to start up. It was an awesome gym with lots of actually serious people.

This may be a little wierd, but I started giving ppl in the gym nick names in my head.

There was Family Guy dude, who had the whole cast tattooed on his arm (was pretty awesome actually). There was ex-military guy, who worked out in black cargos tucked into his boots, with a folding knife in one pocket. There was SUPER low body fat girl. There was the squat team, led by some old guy who easily squatted twice what I was doing.

And there was the super jacked guy who lifted incredibly light weights!! And made it look hard hahaha!! I'm talking like way below what you would consider for a high-rep workout.

I kinda miss that gym.....

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    10/07/2013 2:13pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, I feel strangely normal. My only quirk is I can't squat unless I'm in my Vibrams. I don't mind if the bar isn't square with the ceiling, or the squat rack parallel to the wall. I don't mind if there's weird people doing whatever in wherever. But, ask me to lift in shoes, or even barefoot. Eh, no.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast