Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/06/2013 6:48am

Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mir vs Overeem confirmed for UFC 167

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/96...vereem-ufc-167

This might just be the most obvious "loser leaves town" match I've seen set up since I stopped watching pro wrestling. I have to admit, I'm a little confused by the matchmaking here, since they're both still big enough names that I figured they would each get an easy rebound fight before something like this came up.

I'm sort of torn here on who to root for, since I don't like either of them. By any objective standard, though, Overeem SHOULD win this handily. Mir's striking defense is just slightly harder to get through than a wet paper bag, his chin isn't good, and he's pretty bad in the clinch and against the cage. But Overeem just seems to keep finding creative ways to lose fights he should have in the bag, so who knows?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2013 8:54am

supporting member
     Style: TKD/ BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes the days of just getting a knockout to compensate weakness in other areas are pretty much over. Overeem can't rely on his striking ala Travis Browne or Mir's chin. I can see Mir subbing him just like he did Brock and Big Nog.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/06/2013 11:20am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. That's going to be a major suckfest.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2013 12:38pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Got to agree, never liked overeem, Mir I was always hoping would get back to what he was, but going off the last few fights this is going to be Overeem gassed out at the end of the 1st round and Mir looking like he wants to be somewhere else for the remainder

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    9/06/2013 12:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Wow. That's going to be a major suckfest.
    My gut feeling tells me it's gonna be good. Don't know why really. Maybe cause their recent sucktitude will even each other out.

Both guys are against the wall here.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2013 2:33pm

Style: Judo noob, heavy bag

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is not a good sylistic match up for Mir at all. Then again, after his last two fights, we can't underestimate Overeem's ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Posted On:
    9/06/2013 3:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This match sounds about even Mir moves almost as slow as Overeem punches. It will be like watching the fight between the two old guys on family guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2013 4:56am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am curious if Mir can make it through Overeem's blitz. I mean, he's crying about an early stoppage in the Barnett fight, but as far as I can tell he was bullied and manhandled by Barnett. And bully/manhandle is pretty much Overeem's whole shtick these days.

Lets not forget that Overeem started as a grappler with swing-for-the-fences striking back in his Pride days before Golden Glory tuned him up. His wrestling hasn't been well tested but its not as though he is useless on the ground. Though Mir is probably working on intricacies of moves...

Overall, I can't say I am excited for the match up, but I am curious about the result.

Posted On:
    9/07/2013 8:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Overeem by KO in the first round. Mir has demonstarted a curious weakness to getting punched in the face by mammoth-sized fighters and his wrestling is not good enough for him to take Overeem Down.

Posted On:
    9/07/2013 8:33am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Overeem is like the Bizarro Lesnar so I don't see this being much of a fight unless Mir gets help from the referee long enough to sink a leg lock.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast