Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/30/2013 9:06pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

FMA hard sparring vids

I stumbled across this no pads apparently full contact match on FB a while back so this video is probably old news to many FMAers but I haven't seen it here yet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FChD...has_verified=1

Here's another full contact ring match.

I'm curious what the FMA crowd thinks of these videos and equally what the non FMAers think. Personally, I have to hand it to the guys in both vids. Perhaps we can talk about the techniques and strategies used in both fights.

Edit: Not sure if the first video will work, I know youtube wanted an age confirmation to view it,hooe eveyone can check it out. Bullshido geeks please help if you can!

Posted On:
    8/30/2013 9:53pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first one is from the Sayoc Kali stick grappling DVD. I'm torn. On one hand, takes a lot of balls to fight like that with no protective gear. On the other, you have to be an atomic-powered retard to do so - "sorry about your eye; too bad we're in the middle of the freaking forest so can't get you any medical attention."

The second one ... whatever. The stickwork was a bunch of shitty WEKAF abaniko strikes, that they didn't even try to parry.

Posted On:
    8/30/2013 10:15pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gotta agree with Chili Pepper on this one. First vid, wow crazy level of realism. I'd never train like that. One aloof eye strike and you're wearing a patch for life. I suppose if your main income is FMA this type of training would offer a certain level of experience and bragging rights. I just can't imagine why anyone with a 9 to 5 would want to spar hard with sticks no head gear. Harder contact provides a great level of realism and is a great experience but I don't know if I agree that harder always=better. Still i'd hate to fight one of those guys.

As for the second vid, there are a lot of abanikos happening and little else. I didn't notice a lot of defense. It might look impressive to those unfamiliar to FMA but I see a lot of unnecessary hits exchanged. I think it takes a lot of heart to fight like that but I also try to keep in mind that the stick represents a blade, if those weapons in the second vid were blades the fight would look completely different. But perhaps with the stick is simply a stick mindset the video proves just how much abuse the body can take.

Posted On:
    8/31/2013 10:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    As for the second vid, there are a lot of abanikos happening and little else. I didn't notice a lot of defense.
    And that's the part that bugs me. If those hits were going to land with some power, no way would they just ignore defence. At DB Gatherings and such, you'll find the individuals who will just take it, but a) they're rare and b) they look like hamburger pretty quickly.

Posted On:
    8/31/2013 1:55pm

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you read the latest Dog Brothers newsletter Marc Denny talks about headgear and a pretty gnarly permanent injury from not using it.

Posted On:
    8/31/2013 4:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fuzzy, can you post a link to the db article or copy and paste it?

Posted On:
    8/31/2013 5:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will do so tomorrow. Am currently in bed recovering from a nose-explody K1 fight.

Posted On:
    9/01/2013 3:10am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't find it online anywhere, here is the "view this email online" link that came with my email version: http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....syCPAjVg%3D%3D

The relevant bit is this:
    HEADGEAR: This brings us to the matter of headgear. When we first began the After Midnight Group we were using some helmets that Eric had forged. Eric had previous experience using fencing masks, but after an absence of willing play mates he made these helmets. They were very heavy-- indeed they were a challenge to neck strength-and they offered complete protection from the impact of a stick , , , and danger of lasting damage to the neck during grappling which we had just begun to allow.

One night one man was using repeatedly the protective quality of his helmet to crash entry head first like a tackling linebacker, not caring that he was taking major shots to the head that would have dropped him but for the helmet. Eric was getting irked and I spotted some old "pre-Ralph Nader" fencing masks on the shelf and pulled them down. Eric put one on and we put one on the would-be linebacker, who instantly lost his desire to be a linebacker-mission accomplished! Also, there was the added benefit of much greater safety for the neck in the stick-grapple.

These Pre-Ralph Nader masks are what we now call "first generation masks". FGMs were not much more than a screen door shaped around the head. They served to protect the eyes, nose, and teeth (usually!) but did very little to diminish impact. All of us Original Dog Brothers fought in them and no one was willing to "take one" in the head wearing one in order to close to stick-grappling range. Combined with the stick skills that most of us had from our traditional training, much stick skill was shown.

My own experience with the FGMs is there for all to see. I do not like discussing this but I feel I owe my honesty to all of you. In return I ask that you not bring it up in conversation with me.

In the Power tape of the first series there is a fight where Eric drops me with a tremendous power backhand to my right temple. As I rise from the ground to one elbow, you can literally see my left eye spinning.

Here's the thing: It still is. It was subtle for the first few years but over time it gradually has gotten worse. Most of the time now it no longer is in alignment with the right eye; instead it looks up and to the left-sometimes more and sometimes less, but now it is always there.

This is no small thing.

Not only does it mean that I sometimes get tired and sleepy easily when reading or driving, it also means I don't pick up incoming as well as I should. Not a good thing for a stick fighter or when I spar MMA! When played lacrosse catch with my son, I sometimes would miss balls in embarrassing fashion. I hate it when I see it in photos and now when I have to pose for a photo (which is often in my line of work) I often squint my left eye so it shows less or I wear sunglasses.

For many years I did not connect the blow to my head and my wandering eye. The only reason I am aware of it now is that I went to an eye doctor about my eyesight and the possibility of eye glasses. The tests drew his attention to just how much my eye wandered and he asked me if I had ever been hit hard in the head.

The next time I saw him I showed him the footage and he had no doubt about that power backhand being the cause. He warned me of increased risk of a stroke due to it. As should ANY warrior, regardless of his health, I have my will in order. Tomorrow is promised to no one.

Posted On:
    9/01/2013 8:39am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was at a Crafty Dog seminar in Toronto a few years ago, and my students and I were the only ones wearing eye protection (safety goggles). I suspect there was a perception of such things being unmanly.

It was stick, not daga, we weren't going at high speed, and yet I felt no motivation to go without them. **** happens, and eye damage should be avoided at all costs.

Posted On:
    9/01/2013 8:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    I was at a Crafty Dog seminar in Toronto a few years ago, and my students and I were the only ones wearing eye protection (safety goggles). I suspect there was a perception of such things being unmanly.

It was stick, not daga, we weren't going at high speed, and yet I felt no motivation to go without them. **** happens, and eye damage should be avoided at all costs.
    Was this set patterns or freestyle stuff?
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast