Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2013 11:05am

Style: Goju Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Knockdown Karate Technique Advice

Hello everyone, haven't posted here much in a while but hoping I can get some much needed advice. I do Goju-Ryu but I want to test myself with a competition. The only tournament I can find near me (I'm in TO) that will let me compete without a Kyokushin membership is in Rochester, about 3 hours away, and it takes place every September. It is known as the International Karate Championships. I don't expect to win the tournament or anything but I'd like to win a round, even losing my first round would be okay, I'm sure tournaments like this attract lots of super pros. I'm not sure why the forum box won't let me make a new line for a new paragraph, it's a little annoying. Anyways what techniques are useful to learn for knockdown karate? I currently practice lots of leg kicks, roundhouses kicks, snap kicks up high, snap and thrust kick teeps... Lots of punches to the gunkan, open hand, shooto, etc etc. Anyone know any techniques that will give me an edge?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/23/2013 11:40am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Couldn't hurt to brush up on low shin kicks and their defense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2013 11:51am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How's your conditioning?

Posted On:
    8/23/2013 11:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How are your sweeps?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2013 12:07pm

Style: Taijiquan, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this your first tournament or just your first knockdown tournament?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2013 1:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    How's your conditioning?
    Not great but I'm working on it. I have started to run a 5k every couple of days.
    I go to the gym a couple times a week too and do a few lifts and a bit of medicine ball work.

Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    How are your sweeps?
    I can do a few to an okay level. Although the only one we really work on often is ashi barai and I doubt any seasoned fighter would let me pull that on them.

I've started focusing on catching kicks and sweeping the ground leg a lot in sparring now.

Any specific techniques (like with youtube clips) that you know that are good to land with a bit of practice?

Quote Originally Posted by Bezmond View Post
    Is this your first tournament or just your first knockdown tournament?
    Well, I've done wrestling tournaments before... but nothing for karate. I was never really interested in point fighting before.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    8/23/2013 5:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are the rules of the specific tournament in which you want to compete?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2013 7:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    What are the rules of the specific tournament in which you want to compete?
    heres the link
    http://uskyokushin.com/tourn.htm

Knockdown Fighting
    Knockdown fighting is what Kyokushin Karate is famous for full contact fighting with no pads.
    Legal fighting techniques include any leg techniques (kicks, knee strikes, etc.) to the legs, body, face or head, and any hand techniques (fists, elbows, etc.) to the body.
    The fighters are divided into weight divisions, and if there are enough fighters over the age of 32, a senior's division as well.
    A Knockdown fight lasts two minutes, without stopping, and is won by a single point (Ippon 一本), which is awarded when a technique sufficiently stuns the opponent so that he is unable to resume fighting within five seconds. A half point (Waza Ari 技有り) can be awarded for a technique that momentarily stuns the opponent. If no point is awarded during the two minute round, the referee and corner judges will make a decision (Hantei 判定) to either award a victory (Kachi 勝ち) or declare a draw (Hikiwake 引き分け), which sends the fight into an overtime round (Saishiai 再試合). During the finals of an event, a second overtime round Enchōsen 延長戦) may be held if there is no winner after the first overtime.
    Because of the stamina and endurance needed to defeat five or six opponents and win the event, it is often said of Knockdown competition that "there are no winners, only survivors."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2013 1:30am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a knockdown fighter myself, let me get some insights from you.

Are you going to compete in knockdown or semi-knockdown? If you get the chance take the semi-knockdown path, as it is your first KD tourney.

How is your flexibility? I ask, as one of my "go to" techniques for knockdown is my Kakato Otoshi/Ax kick. It has saved my butt more than once. Plus, you really need to throw the occasional roundhouse to the head. Those 2 along with a good wheel/spinning hook kick are always in use at every tourney I fight in.

For your punching, make sure your wrists are strong and your hands conditioned. I have seen many competitors have a short day due to injuring their wrists and hands from not being used to striking without gloves on. In the area of techniques, make sure to mix your rear hand straight punches/cross with some good hooks to the liver and spleen. Many KD fighters protect well from straight shots, but fail to protect their body from hooks.

If you want more advice, go over to kyokushin4life and ask away. We have tons of great info and great fighters there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2013 7:41am

Style: ShinKyokushin/Shitoryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ummm...as a Kyokushin guy. I would say, body condition is the most important first step. Toughness (body conditioning), stamina, power, technique then speed, in that order.

Do already regularly spar in knockdown rules? I know some Goju guys do head shots and also some do point fighting. If i is your first tournament, focus on low kicks to the knees inside and out gedan mawashi.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast