Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/13/2013 4:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: PTK,MT and BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Overthinking when sparring

Hey guys total noob here. I recently started Muay Thai, actually i am acouple of months in. I just have this tendency to overthink my actions and my opponents actions when sparring causing a certain delay in my reactions. Now I don;t have the same problem in Kali during weapons sparring and I seem to be doing Ok when rolling too so it;s kind of weird. Is it because I am just new to MT? will it just go away? any tips guys? Thanks

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/13/2013 8:39am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is head movement worked on in your MT school? If so, just drill head movement and combos (shadowboxing) ad nauseum in your free time and as permitted by class. Then, when you spar, just get into your rhythm. Donīt think about the sparring aspect, just start bobbing and weaving, and throwing combinations. Constantly drive forward and remain active. This should help you get accustomed to the training.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    8/13/2013 8:44am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Overthinking when you're new to a martial art is very common. The number one solution is to train and drill more so the unfamiliar movements become automatic. Automatic equals no thinking, just pure reaction.

Go to class often, drill with intent and the problem will most likely go away.
    Last edited by jnp; 8/13/2013 8:47am at .

Posted On:
    8/13/2013 9:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: PTK,MT and BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks man. It is allowed I guess I am just a bit too worried about form at time. You're right though I guess rhythm is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Overthinking when you're new to a martial art is very common. The number one solution is to train and drill more so the unfamiliar movements become automatic. Automatic equals no thinking, just pure reaction.

Go to class often, drill with intent and the problem will most likely go away.

Thanks. More drills and more practice. I guess I was just too worried about form at times. I willl do my best to adjust.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/13/2013 10:08am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No one has told you not to focus on form, rather that form will come second nature with practice. If you are new to the form of the technique, ask your partner if they will do some light sparring where you don't hit very hard. This allows you to focus on form, timing, footwork, range, etc while not under the pressure of medium to high contact sparring.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    8/13/2013 2:52pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Throw more jabs
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms