Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 2:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shorin Ryu / Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training after a Heart Attack

Hey Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. At least I think so.

Just wanted to find out if anyone on the boards has returned to training after a heart attack. I had one a few weeks ago, and I am trying to assess how I get back to training without putting my cardiac health at risk. My prognosis is very good, my heart attack was relatively minor, and the blockage that caused it has been stented up. My cardiologist is sending me to this cardio rehab center for a phsyical assessment and and obviously they'll offer me some guidance as well.

What I'm interested in is finding out if any other martial artists on the forums have had to deal with a similar event, and what helped to get back to training? Did you have to shift focus for a while, or did you get right back into it?

I'm looking forward to a life of activity here, I'm only 41, so I'm not ready to call it quits.

Obviously this might mean having to take up Tai Chi, and to avoid say, BJJ, but I still want to train in practical martial arts. So I'm interested in any experiences others might have had.

Thanks in advance.

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 9:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy crap, you had a heart attack. A martial arts website is not the place to get medical advice. Please talk to your doctor, ideally more than one doctor, about exactly what type of exercise you can do. I hope you can get back to training brother but be careful please.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 9:10pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Normal doctors tend to err on the safe side and recommend against "strenuous activity" in my admittedly limited experience. Are there sports cardiologists? When someone breaks a bone or tears connective tissue, we typically recommend going to a sports orthopedist because they have a much better idea of the human body's limits than ordinary doctors.

Failing that, try to find a cardiologist that's also an athlete.

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 9:13pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Definitely talk to your doctor about what you want to do, and what you can do. Make sure your doctor isn't one of those assholes that just wants to write you a prescription and send you out the front door; find one who's an athlete him/herself if possible.

Also, keep in mind that there are certain Martial Arts that you can train in that you probably haven't considered.

For example, training in the use of firearms is arguably the most "Martial" of arts, in the sense that the word "martial" comes from the word "military".

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 2:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Continue with cardio rehab and see how you go. A work colleague (ex-Rugby) was in just this situation and recovered well. Other than that, take you family doctor's advice on this topic.

It might help you to know that I was once at a seminar in Aalst, Belgium, a few years ago and a very adept and good humoured 6th Dan gave instruction to our group. Our Chief Instructor told us that this chap had had a Heart Attack 6 months previously. Wow, were we surprised. He's since advanced to 7th Dan and I was in Belgium when he was awarded it.

Just remembered another. When I did my 2nd Dan, one chap was getting himself ready for his 4th Dan at the same grading. We were impressed and then he told us that he had had a Heart Attack in the past year. Crikey. Clearly he had recovered his health and returned to training. Yep, he was successful and won his 4th Dan and still trains/teaches.

So...doctor's advice and good luck.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 1:19pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looking at your style field, you'd probably have a safer time transitioning back into Shorin Ryu over Muay Thai.

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 3:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I'm guessing the OP won't be back. But it would be cool, if he does come back to give an update. You are about 2 months post MI at this point. My guess is you are about done with cardiac rehab. The doctor is probably having you up you exercise level depending on you current functioning, ie: if you are having chest pain, shortness of breath, dypsnea on exertion and that type of stuff.

So if you are out there: update! kthnxby
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    8/09/2013 1:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm at 6 months post MI, I swam 1.4 km this morning (almost a mile), I ride my bike to and from work (about 8 miles round trip) and the cardio rehab is really really not challenging physically. My cardiologist says with my remaining heart function and time I could train to run the Boston marathon if I so chose to. Not gonna do that, but I still want to train to kick some ass.

I do not recommend heart disease, it's a mofo.

Going to ease back into training with lighter kettlebell drills and bag work, while keeping track of my heartrate with a monitor. I'll continue to keep you posted.

Posted On:
    8/09/2013 2:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Consider, Porridge + Running. Anti-Cholesterol and cardio fitness. Statins might help with neutralise plaque build up.

Anyway, that's my best guess :-)

Posted On:
    8/09/2013 6:05pm

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    Consider, Porridge + Running. Anti-Cholesterol and cardio fitness. Statins might help with neutralise plaque build up.

Anyway, that's my best guess :-)
    Yeah, on the statins for cholesterol already, that's thanks to my cardiologist.

Running is out of the question, thank you heel spurs, but, I can totally swim my ass off, so I'm doing that instead. Different strokes for different folks right?

As for combative training, I'm going to start doing striking drills on a light bag this week, and some body weight drills and kbell swings to beef up. It's been about 6 months since I lifted, so I'll be taking it nice and sloooooow.

Maybe some tai chi? Can that be counted in as a fighting style?

Plus heartrate monitor for the win.

I'm kinda done with Karate. I'd like to do something else like Kali or Silat. And I'd love to learn some ground work, but my cardio has to be in a really good place before I hit it hardcore.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast