Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/01/2013 2:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bogus Muay Thai/MMA School and Instructor

Denis Demers instructor from a club called Superkix in Welland Ontario. They advertise Muay Thai and MMA but when asked credentials they evade. They are a karate school using false advertising to lure people in.

I tried to post links to their page but am new so I can't yet ... just look up superkix.ca ... there is a video in the Adult Muay Thai and MMA link too that I am sure qualifies them as BS ...

I have no problem with old school Karate clubs but just be honest ... a brass ring is gold in colour but not gold.

On a positive when he evaded my question for Instructor qualifications he did refer me to a different club in town that is legit and I joined.

This is my first post and I hope it is appropriate.

Mike aka "Willie"

Posted On:
    8/01/2013 3:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2013 5:07pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Superkix Muay-Thai program offers a non-contact way to experience the conditioning regimes and benefits taken by some of the world's top athletes. No experience is necessary, just be ready to sweat while focusing on developing:

Aerobic Capacity Anerobic Capacity Functional Strength Coordinated Power Muscular Endurance
    Looks to me like this doesn't even really claim to be a muay Thai program so much as a non-contact cardio kickboxing program. To be sure, they're making very liberal use of the term "muay Thai", but they're not claiming to teach anything but conditioning. I don't see a lot of harm in that.

Posted On:
    8/08/2013 2:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    Looks to me like this doesn't even really claim to be a muay Thai program so much as a non-contact cardio kickboxing program. To be sure, they're making very liberal use of the term "muay Thai", but they're not claiming to teach anything but conditioning. I don't see a lot of harm in that.
    Just got back from Vacation. I am recreational in Muay Thai but take a lot of pride in knowing that I train Muay Thai... Isn't the fact that they advertise "Adult Muay Thai" not qualify them as a BS school. I have a lot of BJJ friends (and have trained a bit in it) and I know how upset my BJJ friends get when a a false club says they train BJJ.

Albeit this club may teach fitness but their advertising should then say kickboxing not Muay Thai otherwise they are misleading people and misrepresenting Muay Thai and all those who authentically train in it?

Yours truly

Posted On:
    8/08/2013 3:15pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They should not have 'MUAY THAI" across the heading if they aren't muay thai. simple as that.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2013 4:38pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    website is certainly confusing

There is Kids Karate but for Adults its Superkix Muay-Thai

his program includes how to execute great stances, punches, blocks, and kicking techniques. Individuals also learn how to perform kata (pre-arranged set of movements and techniques), how to breakfall and sparring techniques which combine modern sparring concepts, kicking and solid hapkido self-defense
    Sounds like Karate with some extras there is also an definition of MMA so do they enter MMA events?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/08/2013 5:30pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    Well, there's this:
    Mixed martial arts (MMA) is a full contact combat sport that allows a wide variety of fighting techniques and is considered one of the toughest sports in the world.
    and one would imagine there would be some contact with this pic as the header:

I believe it depicts a man being kicked in the face.

Posted On:
    8/08/2013 7:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickosaurus View Post
    website is certainly confusing

There is Kids Karate but for Adults its Superkix Muay-Thai

Sounds like Karate with some extras there is also an definition of MMA so do they enter MMA events?
    I am positive they don't do MMA events check the Video on the site for Muay Thai ... it's pretty bad ... I can't post the link as I haven't posted enough yet just go to the Web Site and check the link. The club is in Welland Ontario.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2013 12:54pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Well, there's this:
    But if you read the whole thing, they don't actually claim to teach that "full-contact combat sport", only to give you a taste of how practitioners might train.

and one would imagine there would be some contact with this pic as the header:

I believe it depicts a man being kicked in the face.
    I agree that it is pretty shady advertising, but I don't think there are any actual false claims being made here. The web site makes pretty clear that what they're teaching is conditioning and not fighting.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/10/2013 1:10pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, it isn't even that deceptive if they are upfront.

There are THOUSANDS of people teaching Cardio Kickboxing and Cardio Boxing, who are just personal trainers with zero experience in any martial arts. My issues is the missing title of "cardio" or another type of non-contact designation before the name.

Superkix Muay-Thai program offers a non-contact way to experience the conditioning regimes and benefits taken by some of the world's top athletes. No experience is necessary, just be ready to sweat while focusing on developing:

Aerobic Capacity Anerobic Capacity Functional Strength Coordinated Power Muscular Endurance

Whether you are looking for fitness, cross-training or a glimpse into the MMA world this program is for you. Limited spaces available!
    Now, if they are saying you'll be able to fight, when you call or talk then they are being fraudulent.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast