Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/15/2013 9:04am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Need a smaller pair of sparring gloves

The consolidated glove thread is unfortunately deader than disco, so this seemed like the best place to post this. Apologies if it needs to be moved.

So it's birthday time for me at the end of this month, and I always get bitten by the "need new gear" bug after a long enough time using the same things. Right now I'm sparring with 16oz Top King Airs. They're good gloves, but they're also effing huge. Like "cover your entire face behind one glove" huge, which is probably okay for bigger fighters, but I'm 5'5" at 140(ish) pounds. This has resulted in some unfortunate habits on defense, since I've gotten used to having two giant shields on my hands. So what I'm looking for is some recommendations for a more compact 16oz glove to work with. They don't have to be super tiny, but at least a little bit smaller would be nice. From what I remember of seeing Fairtex's newer models while I was in Thailand(these bad boys- http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/015...4x1024.jpg?214), those would be ideal, but I'm not sure I'm suave enough to convince my wife to drop a hundred dollars on new gloves for my birthday. It's always tough to really get a good idea from pictures online. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Neo Sigma; 6/15/2013 9:15am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2013 10:14am

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My 16 oz twins are huge. My everlast sparring gloves are as well (hold fire, I actually have the professional level ones).

However my 18oz Cleto Reyes are much smaller than either of them - and at 16 oz would probably feel rather scant. Downside - they are f***ing expensive. Bound boxing has them as cheap as I've seen them from a reputable source (I ordered mine there).

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/15/2013 2:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why not 14oz? at your weight, they should be appropriate protection for your sparring partners unless you hit anime level hard like my hung ga sifu.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    6/15/2013 4:39pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    why not 14oz? at your weight, they should be appropriate protection for your sparring partners unless you hit anime level hard like my hung ga sifu.
    Quoted for truth.

http://elsy158.blogspot.com/2011/01/...-sparring.html

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00785YRVS

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585460

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 6/15/2013 4:44pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2013 4:57pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKenner View Post
    My 16 oz twins are huge.
    Same for my 16oz Windys. Planet-sized.

I've borrowed a mate's 14oz Fairtex a couple of times and they were noticeably smaller. Plus, those Fairtex you posted are sexy. Tell the wife that.

Posted On:
    6/15/2013 6:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    Gym rule, all sparring gloves have to be 16. Although I'm pretty sure most people probably wouldn't notice a 2oz difference, especially since I'm the shortest, lightest guy in the gym by about 3 inches and 15 pounds at the next closest person. And they only get bigger from there.

Also, I've read some good things about Ring To Cage, so I might lean towards those if I can't smooth-talk my way into a pair of Fairtexes. But man, I know what I'd be getting if I didn't have to worry about it.

Posted On:
    6/16/2013 7:19am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have 16s punch armidilos which are long rather than wide. Good glove though.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    6/21/2013 10:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like these are the ones I'm getting, although because it's a birthday present, I'm completely unaware of that and will be stunned when they show up.

http://www.ringtocage.com/Thai-Style...loves-RC08.htm

I'll post up a review after I put some rounds on them. Good timing, too, I'm fighting on July 20th, so they'll get put through the ringer.