mma review ratings
    Aliveness: 8

Equipment: 5

Gym Size: 6

Atmosphere/Attitude: 10

Striking Instruction: 8

Grappling Instruction: 4

Weapons Instruction: 1

Hi' i'm a teacher from Kim's Martial Arts - i'm here to tell you about us.

A quick breakdown and elaboration on some of our ratings

Aliveness - Since this is generally a question about sparring, i went with 8. The TKD sparring gear is good at preventing injuries, allowing us to go all out. I could also talk about how it trains to hit vital points around someone's guard, but i'm sure that's allready been talked to death about.

Equipment
    We've got equipment
    Kicking targets
    Blue shields , 2 extra thick red shields
    Standing bags (1/2 kids, 1/2 adults)
    Weight lifting supplies (1 bench, 1 squat rack,a screw-on barbell, 2 sets of each plate and a old red stretching machine. The good kind)
    Hanging bag - Connected to steel support beam (60 lb, we have a heavier one though)
    Hitting boards on same support beams.

Size - We have a separate weight lifting, bathroom (Both gender), Mat area, and Waiting room, along with an office and Master's Room)

Atmosphere - We're teach a lot of kids. It's definitely a focus, but the adult class gets treated a bit more harshly. We are not here to mollycoddle you.

Striking instruction - I'd like to say 10 here, but i'm basing this on Me, and i haven't won the games yet. I have traveled to korea for a tournament, and i'm going next year, so there is that, does that count? We win alot of local tournaments, but nothing non local. I'm also going into MMA, so there is that

Grappling instructions- Outside of one steps, we have seminars on grappling, as well as black belt classes where we go over judo and hapkido techniques. So i went with 4, we're not a grappling school, but we do teach some.

Weapons - Yeah, we're a bare hand school. We have weapon seminars, but no sparring.

I should mention we're thinking about holding a Throwdown. - http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...46#post2782846

Ask me anything, i'm open to questions.
    Last edited by TKDbrah; 6/05/2013 10:47pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2013 8:10pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This actually sounds like a place I'd like to train at.

Do you have any sparring/training/competition vids?

Is your school WTF/ITF-affiliated?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2013 2:48pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, but a teacher rating his own school like this is a little odd to me. Especially when you're supposed to rate the quality of instruction and the atmosphere.

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BOIT-SANS-SOIF!... BACHI-BOUZOUK!

Posted On:
    6/09/2013 5:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    Sorry, but a teacher rating his own school like this is a little odd to me.
    At least they're being honest, so you can take the atmosphere rating with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by TKDbrah View Post
    Aliveness - Since this is generally a question about sparring, i went with 8. The TKD sparring gear is good at preventing injuries, allowing us to go all out.
    This I would question, however. If it's like other TKD schools, then you're looking at full body shields, helmets, possibly even shinguards and no headpunches, right? Warrants maybe a 7 at best. Discussed here:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70155

Quote Originally Posted by TKDbrah View Post
    I could also talk about how it trains to hit vital points around someone's guard, but i'm sure that's allready been talked to death about.
    Having seen plenty of footage of competitive TKD, I'd have to ask you what guard you're talking about. And if you're saying that chest pads are advantageous because they teach fighters to aim around them, then you must never have heard of the liver kick.

If, conversely, you're saying that the pads are advantageous because they teach fighters to focus on them to the exclusion of other targets, then do you even low-kick brah?

Good on you guys for hosting a throwdown.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 7:18pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cap View Post
    en plenty of footage of competitive TKD, I'd have to ask you what guard you're talking about. And if you're saying that chest pads are advantageous because they teach fighters to aim around them, then you must never have heard of the liver kick.
    I think TKDBrah is talking about it within the TKD context, so against a TKD or other general TMA/Karate guard. Its been a loooooooong time since I did TKD, but I do remember them emhpasizing it. I also remember our in-school sparring stances were different than when we prepped for competition.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BOIT-SANS-SOIF!... BACHI-BOUZOUK!

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 12:23am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    I think TKDBrah is talking about it within the TKD context[...]
    But does that really mean it warrants an 8 in aliveness?

Posted On:
    7/04/2013 9:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sorry, didn't notice this got replies

Quote Originally Posted by Gluckmann View Post
    This actually sounds like a place I'd like to train at.

Do you have any sparring/training/competition vids?

Is your school WTF/ITF-affiliated?
    We compete in the WTF local tournaments, though get back to me in a month and i'll have some sparring vids

Sorry, but a teacher rating his own school like this is a little odd to me. Especially when you're supposed to rate the quality of instruction and the atmosphere.
    Well, i tried to be honest about our goals for our students, and as i said, we have a large amount of kids - there is a large focus on the atmosphere of the school.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cap View Post
    At least they're being honest, so you can take the atmosphere rating with a grain of salt.

This I would question, however. If it's like other TKD schools, then you're looking at full body shields, helmets, possibly even shinguards and no headpunches, right? Warrants maybe a 7 at best. Discussed here:

Having seen plenty of footage of competitive TKD, I'd have to ask you what guard you're talking about. And if you're saying that chest pads are advantageous because they teach fighters to aim around them, then you must never have heard of the liver kick.

If, conversely, you're saying that the pads are advantageous because they teach fighters to focus on them to the exclusion of other targets, then do you even low-kick brah?

Good on you guys for hosting a throwdown.
    Tbch, i would have gone with 7.5, simply because there are a lot of schools that use the pads to play foot tag, but we tend to use them to spar hard without injuries. so i went with 8 and figured i'd just explain it to anyone who asks.

As for guarding, the traditional "points" of tkd, namely the sides of the body, and head sans face, are all areas of the body that could be considered weak points. You mentioned liver kicks - Did you know it's possible to kick someone in the liver through those pads? it takes a bit more force, but i've done it plenty of times/had it done to me.

As for your "Low kick" point, it 's not so much the focus on the pads, but the focus on misdirection - There are only so many legal targets in TKD sparring, so that it's easy to guard against those shots. The upside of this is that it creates a higher focus on misdirection, bringing a guard focus up high while you sneak in a "Low" (Body) kick, then kicking to the head when they think you're going low, for example.

As for leg kicks themselves, we practice in forms/combinations, but rarely practice them in sparring. Partially because they're not allowed in TKD comps, partially because there's allready quite a bit of leg-leg contact when you force two guys to kick each other. Not that it's the same as deliberately kicking someone in the leg, but we don't have much of a focus on that.

As for the Throwdown, it's postponed right now, but it'll definitely be an option for the future if there's some interest.

If there's any more questions i'd be happy to answer.

Posted On:
    7/04/2013 10:41am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always ignore what they say about atmosphere, because it seems to be a binary value - either it's a 10 for being tae kwon domygodit'sfantastic, or a 1 for tae kwon douchebags. Fact is, a big reason anybody trains somewhere is because the training atmosphere and internal culture works for that person.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2013 3:56pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    I always ignore what they say about atmosphere, because it seems to be a binary value - either it's a 10 for being tae kwon domygodit'sfantastic, or a 1 for tae kwon douchebags. Fact is, a big reason anybody trains somewhere is because the training atmosphere and internal culture works for that person.
    Good point.