Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    48
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Fighting a "fat" opponent? (my 2nd MMA fight)

    Im seeing thread after thread how to defeat the tall person, I am personally the tall person, a slim 6'4. (205)

    I have a MMA fight this saturday and my opponent dropped weight from heavyweight to fight me, he is pretty chubby. very, very chubby... at 6'2

    I'v always fought lean people like me with reach and speed. How should I fight THIS guy? his arms shorter, his belly bigger, he has heavy hands. I am excited!

    Any tips? my apologies if this is in the wrong thread


    Ask away! :)

    ( I'm ready, I'd like some extra tips though, what should I eat, ETC)

  2. #2
    TheMightyMcClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,456
    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being the shallow and vain creature I am, I have always hated fat people, and fighting them is no exception.
    Striking is not too bad; you're probably going to be a lot lighter on your feet, and you've already said you have a reach advantage. I've had most of my success fighting hefty lads by staying mobile and headhunting. That extra weight makes them harder to bully around the ring with kicks and body shots, but not any harder to abuse with head punching. Easier, since as I mentioned, you'll probably be lighter on your feet.
    Grappling with fatties is tougher and I hate it. Getting takedowns becomes a giant pain in the ass, as does maintaining top position. Pretty much all the subs I've hit against guys with a large weight advantage over me have been from the guard or from the back, so I would train with the expectation that those are going to be your best case scenarios.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    48
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Mightyclaw!

    What should I eat on said day of fight? from morning to hours before the slam cutting weight is not an issue for me so I can eat what ever you guys throw at me.

    So recap, lighter on the feet, reach. I'm so excited but honestly nervous at the same time.. :)

  4. #4
    gregaquaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    2,725
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do you have a corner team? I would get punched in the mouth by my coach if I went off reservation because I read something on an internet forum.


    Eat pasta.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Greece , Athens
    Posts
    42
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fat people tend to get exhausted quickly , when i first started kickboxing i was 90kg and after 5-6 punches i already fell tired , just keep moving around and kick him in the legs , that will it extra difficult to move around ;) Then you just punch him like a bag xD

    Good luck

  6. #6
    TheMightyMcClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,456
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Typically, on the day of the fight, I don't really change my diet much. I would just lean on the side of small regular meals versus periodic large ones, as being either hungry or in need of a **** while you're fighting is not recommended.
    Typically right after making weight, I'll eat an entire meat lovers pizza and wash it down with a gallon of chocolate milk, and get back up to my pre-cut weight within the evening. But the next day, it's sort of back to business as normal with food.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    48
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    do you have a corner team? I would get punched in the mouth by my coach if I went off reservation because I read something on an internet forum.


    Eat pasta.
    Haha true, tho After the lurking I can tell there is quite a few experienced people here.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Typically, on the day of the fight, I don't really change my diet much. I would just lean on the side of small regular meals versus periodic large ones, as being either hungry or in need of a **** while you're fighting is not recommended.
    Typically right after making weight, I'll eat an entire meat lovers pizza and wash it down with a gallon of chocolate milk, and get back up to my pre-cut weight within the evening. But the next day, it's sort of back to business as normal with food.
    Thats a mistake I'v always made, eating nada / huge meals before a tournament or fight.

    Ok so, small periodic, lean healthy meals :)


    Thanks guys fight is this saturday and I will post the video!

    weigh ins in a few hours

  8. #8
    TheMightyMcClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,456
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashiramas View Post
    Haha true, tho After the lurking I can tell there is quite a few experienced people here.



    Thats a mistake I'v always made, eating nada / huge meals before a tournament or fight.

    Ok so, small periodic, lean healthy meals :)


    Thanks guys fight is this saturday and I will post the video!

    weigh ins in a few hours
    Yeah; I wouldn't even nescessarily say lean and healthy, at least in the vernacular sense; I usually aim for small calorie-dense items; peanut butter and honey sandwhiches, meal replacement shakes, that sorta thing.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

  9. #9
    goodlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona CA
    Posts
    7,301
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    or in need of a **** while you're fighting is not recommended.
    Yeah I am going to go there cause this is often an issue for me (I am sure its part of that flight mechanism that is engaged with nerves). So even if I manage to evacuate prior to a fight I often feel the need to go really badly.
    It sucks.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Greece , Athens
    Posts
    42
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashiramas View Post
    Thanks Mightyclaw!

    What should I eat on said day of fight? from morning to hours before the slam cutting weight is not an issue for me so I can eat what ever you guys throw at me.

    So recap, lighter on the feet, reach. I'm so excited but honestly nervous at the same time.. :)
    Dont change your diet over 1 night just for a fight , eat what you gonna eat but do not eat 2 hours before the fight , i wanna go to the toilet if i eat in those 2 hours so i skip that meal and eat afterwards

    Consider getting some power juice and eat some high carbo foods

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO