225248 Bullies, 3865 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

1. 1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Veteran MMA ref Josh Rosenthal Pleads Guilty to Charges of Owning Marijuana

Referee Josh Rosenthal pleads guilty to charges for owning $6 million worth of marijuana

Josh Rosenthal oversees Donald Cerrone versus Melvin Guillard at UFC 150. (Getty)

Well-known MMA referee Josh Rosenthal has been a part of some of the UFC's most famous bouts, including Brock Lesnar's championship win over Shane Carwin and Dan Henderson's Fight of the Year win over Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. Now, it turns out he was also part of an illegal drug operation.

In a story that could have been the plot of the show "Weeds," Rosenthal plead guilty to charges of conspiracy to manufacture and distribute marijuana. He and an associate owned a warehouse that kept 1,356 marijuana plants with a street value of $6 million. According to MMA Junkie, he could spend more than three years in prison:

The government is recommending 37 months in jail, fines and five years of probation, during which he would be subject to random searches, according to the agreement. Without a deal, he faced 10 years to life in prison, a $10 million fine and a minimum of five years' probation.
    The court will ultimately decide Rosenthal's fate. He is scheduled to appear on May 17.

Rosenthal was once a mainstay on the UFC refereeing rotation, but hasn't been in the cage recently. His license lapsed in California as he dealt with his legal troubles and healed from a staph infection. Though referees are assigned by state commissions, not the UFC, Rosenthal had earned the praise of UFC president Dana White for his role in the Lesnar-Carwin bout.

Link

Faced with legal trouble, Rosenthal let his refereeing licenses lapse in two of the most active MMA states in the nation, California and Nevada.

Representatives from both commissions confirmed to MMA Fighting that Rosenthal did not renew his licenses in either state after the end of 2012. Both states ask prospective officials if they have ever been convicted of felonies, making it unclear if Rosenthal would be able to return to the role in the future.

Of course, he has much larger concerns now. His sentencing hearing will take place on May 17, after a continuance from the original May 7 date. He faces at least 10 years to life in prison, a $10 million fine, at least five years to life on supervised release, and a $100 special assessment fee.
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/4/17...re-pleading-to

Thoughts?

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 8:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By "warehouse" do they mean 10th Planet Jiujitsu mat room?

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 9:48pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obviously he didn't attend Rob Hinds' ABC seminar training or he'd know better.

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 11:34pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Although I am pro marijuana, large scale growing operations is asking for large scale legal problems. I'd rather be on the stand defending personal use as a matter of freedom of choice than defending possible trafficking and distribution penalties. That's why when I was "involved" in marijuana, I usually only kept between an ounce and a pound. Still, even that would be cause for harsher charges, but it would have allowed me to soapbox and boy would I have loved to have soapboxed on the topic. I still would.

But a fucking warehouse is big time, they're not just after you because you dealing "demon weed", but because you'll be making tax free money. And the government wants that more than anything.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/19/2013 10:13am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was that the supply just for Joe Rogan?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2013 6:35am

Style: Lung Ying Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing wrong with having a little stash for the inevitable zombie apocalypse...

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    4/20/2013 7:17am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Obviously he didn't attend Rob Hinds' ABC seminar training or he'd know better.
    He was at the Jay T. Will seminar that day and couldn't make Robs.

Posted On:
    4/20/2013 5:48pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last month we had a triple murder here, a guy from Truckee and two from New York shot by a nutbag from Colorado and his son over some weed shipment. Thank you, legislature, for making criminals richer and putting us all in greater danger. Anybody who grows that amount is crazy.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2013 7:04pm

Style: Kickboxin & Shootfightin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone know how much the refs get paid?? I thought they well reasonably well compenstated,(not extraordinary amounts,but good enough),and wouldn't have needed to cross that line.