Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 4:36pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why isn't Sanda more popular in North America

Yesterday, I spent two hours watching nothing but Sanda on YouTube. I got to say, there's some action-filled fights. But more importantly, with Sanda you get something that is harder to find with other combat sports: highlight reel takedowns that mesh well with strikes.

From a aesthetic standpoint, it seems like Sanda takes the best of striking, and the best of grappling — and makes both that much more entertaining.

Seriously, why hasn't this sport taken North America by storm?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 4:47pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, it seems like it should be more popular when you consider how many mouthbreather casual MMA fans throw up their hands in exasperation as soon as a fight hits the ground and isn't immediately followed by hard GNP. The same could be said for muay thai though- they have continuous action: punches, kicks, elbows, knees and dumping opponents on their ass, but its popularity doesn't compare to MMA. I'd chalk it up to Dana White's marketing machine more than anything else.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2013 10:01am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think one problem is schools. When I wanted to train in Sanda, I had to go to the local KungFu school. Which was fine, because we competed. BUT you didn't just train Sanda, you had to train Xingyi, Taiji, and Bagua. Then Sanda was focused on before competitions, on the weekends.

Between Xingyi, Taiji, and Bagua, that's a **** load of forms that you have to learn in order to learn kickboxing with takedowns.

I think most people who are interesting in Sanda would not be interested in all the forms, and most people interested in the forms are not interested in hard contact fighting. So, the method doens't promote the sport well.

Of course, this is my own experience, and I'm sure(hopefully) there are some Sanda only schools....somewhere.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/02/2013 10:29am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i also think there was a lot of bickering and infighting in the community. there weren't many events, and for various reasons coaches would be hesitant to enter there fighters into the ones that did exist (political issues, not thinking their fighter would get a fair fight, etc.)

considering how small the scene was, that sort of thing can quickly squash it, and send everyone to try their luck in muay thai or MMA, which is what happened.

AFAIK my old school occasionally sends fighters to a tournament in cleveland that has a san shou division, and to the baltimore lei tai, and those are the only 2 full contact events that i am aware of in the northeast US.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2013 11:53am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is one in Orlando every year. That is where my school went to.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2013 7:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its unfortunate that Sanda/San Shou isn't more well-known better and promoted than it is.
    If there were decent tournaments up here, I know our guys would be chomping at the bit to go them.
    Crossing the border is more of a pain in the ass than it used to be.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 3:14am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Yesterday, I spent two hours watching nothing but Sanda on YouTube. I got to say, there's some action-filled fights. But more importantly, with Sanda you get something that is harder to find with other combat sports: highlight reel takedowns that mesh well with strikes.

From a aesthetic standpoint, it seems like Sanda takes the best of striking, and the best of grappling — and makes both that much more entertaining.

Seriously, why hasn't this sport taken North America by storm?
    I would think SANDA would be big here as well but like it has already been pointed out very few schools if any make sanda a focus you have to go through all the TMA stuff first. My CLF school in Fort Lauderdale had guys do kickboxing and Sanda fights but you couldn't just sign up to do that you had to reach a level before you could compete, understandably, but that included a lot of forms work (both empty hand and weapons) before you got ther. Even when we did do competition training they brought in kickboxers to help train. So one would ask why not go to a kickboxing school. NOW they have dedicated Kickboxing/Sanda and MMA classes but I am talking about in the 90s and early 00's.

Second part why I think it isn't big is becaues its is a step back. Yes most lay MMA fans don't like the grappling but it gives you the option to grapple if need be. In Sanda the action stops with the takedown and I can see guys complaining why they didn't keep it going on the ground.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 12:40pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sanda as an "alive" sport/competition style emerged nearly half a century before MMA as we know it emerged in the West.

I think it's not as popular in the West for the same reason those little almond candies I love from Chinatown aren't popular in the West. Sanda is an exotic flavor of fighting, it's not what they're seeing on TV.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 4:33pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I think it's not as popular in the West for the same reason those little almond candies I love from Chinatown aren't popular in the West. Sanda is an exotic flavor of fighting, it's not what they're seeing on TV.
    Its not popular because its an exotic flavor?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 6:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it also hasn't really gotten past the "rinky dink" level for the most part, and by that i mean that most of the current events don't even use a ring.

the baltimore lei tai uses a platform, which is appropriate for lei tai, but a lot of the san shou or sanda events just happen on wrestling mats or puzzle mats in a gymnasium, often right next to forms competitions.

Also the skill levels at these events vary quite a bit, with a lot of fighters having no experience, leading to mismatches. considering the effort to train for one of these fights, the weight cutting, the travel and hotel costs, showing up and finding a completely unprofessional event can be really disheartening.

i took a fighter to a san shou event a few years back, she trained her ass off for it, cut weight, drove for hours, and ended up having to fight up 20lbs because there was no one in her division, there was no ring, the rules were vague, they changed the glove size at the last minute to 16oz, etc.

she now trains at the wat with kru nurse and gets fights through them. fights that are in her weight class, against appropriate opponents, in a ring, with a sanctioning body and a real ref. i don't blame her for switching to muay thai one bit.

i understand that you have to build a scene, and it takes time, and smaller events will always be a clusterfuck, but i'm just trying to explain why in my opinion sanda never caught on here.

i know that one of the people who used to promote real sanda events (with a ring and everything) sometimes posts on here, so maybe he wants to chime in with his opinion, since i'm sure he has strong opinions about what went wrong.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast