Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2013 3:42pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Striking surface for shin kicks?

So, coming from TKD where everything was ball of the foot, shin kicks were a revelation to me. I usually aim with the very front of my shin when I am kicking the bag.

However, I recently saw a video of Pat Miletich instructing the low kick and saying that you should be striking with the inside edge of the shin (where I, conveniently, have a bit flat area) to prevent over rotating and whacking the outside muscle (which I sometime do when I over-rotate my hip).

It makes sense to use the inside portion of the shin bone, but what is considered "correct"?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 12:25am

Style: Krav Maga/ Muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just strike with the front of the shin bone. Depending on range it can be the lower shin bone or even the upper shin bone. The upper shin bone has more bone mass and would be harder.

When you are kicking a moving target it can be hard to be precise. Just dont hit your foot or instep and you should not break anything.

AS long as you hit with the shin bone you will be fine

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 1:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool. I figured as much, but I wasn't sure if there was a "proper" techniques vs just what people end up doing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2013 1:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is the video, if anyone cares

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 9:07am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you flex your calf you can get a better idea of where the muscle is and where the shinbone is, kind of like if you flatten your palm or make a fist to feel the bone/muscle in your forearm. I normally just kick with the front of the shin.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 11:42am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    you should be striking with the inside edge of the shin (where I, conveniently, have a bit flat area) to prevent over rotating and whacking the outside muscle (which I sometime do when I over-rotate my hip).
    On a low kick? In my experience, people just learning to kick will tend to under-rotate their hips and it ends up being powered by knee extension instead of hip. So, in my book, rotating the hip is a good thing, especially when kicking low, where you may need to turn the hip over and slightly down to hit the leg at the angle its bent.

I'm sure Pat Miletich knows what he's talking about though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 11:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    On a low kick? In my experience, people just learning to kick will tend to under-rotate their hips and it ends up being powered by knee extension instead of hip. So, in my book, rotating the hip is a good thing, especially when kicking low, where you may need to turn the hip over and slightly down to hit the leg at the angle its bent.
    If you watch the video I posted it makes more sense.

I have OK hip turnover from TKD, so I don't have an issue with under-rotation so often as over-rotating and smacking my outside calf muscle.

I should probably ask a real instructor, but I don't have the time or money to add striking classes to what I am doing already.
    Last edited by Krijgsman; 4/03/2013 11:30pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2013 2:07pm

Style: Headbutts

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After watching the video, I actually tried this out while doing some light sparring with a buddy of mine. A couple observations:

1) It works! (Surprise, surprise.) The mechanics aren't as different as I expected from the "usual" shin kick that I use, which tends to be with the front of the shin. It's surprisingly similar to a side-of-foot soccer kick, which Miletich mentions in the video.

2) That being said, I found that one of the vital things for me was to be in relatively close when throwing the kick this way, because if I had to reach for my partner's leg and started to lean back, I went further into the rotation to get the extra inches, which resulted in me using the front of my shin again. Setting the kick up with punches worked pretty well; I just had to keep my posture up and not reach for it.

3) It's definitely a nice striking surface - impact felt really solid, my partner could feel the effects even when I was throwing around 15-20% power-wise. Because of the aforementioned postural change, I also felt nicely balanced and poised while delivering the kick.

Thanks for sharing the technique, Krijgsman. It's an interesting and (I think) useful variation.

-Sazzy

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2013 5:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad it made sense and is useful!