Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2013 5:55pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Side control escapes

I used to try a side control escape as a last ditch that had me putting my near arm underneath the guy on top and then using momentum to swing my legs out and out of side control. I stopped doing it the first time my coach slid right into kami shiho as soon as I tried to put my arm through. Recently a bjj friend showed me a similar escape ending in an arm in choke. So after he showed it I showed him why it was a dumb idea and transitioned into kami shiho everytime he even started to slide that arm through. Am I missing something? are these style of escapes useful at all, perhaps am I being shown something missing a detail? As far as I can tell kami shiho destroys all these types of escapes.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    3/09/2013 6:42pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weezaholic View Post
    I used to try a side control escape as a last ditch that had me putting my near arm underneath the guy on top and then using momentum to swing my legs out and out of side control. I stopped doing it the first time my coach slid right into kami shiho as soon as I tried to put my arm through. Recently a bjj friend showed me a similar escape ending in an arm in choke. So after he showed it I showed him why it was a dumb idea and transitioned into kami shiho everytime he even started to slide that arm through. Am I missing something? are these style of escapes useful at all, perhaps am I being shown something missing a detail? As far as I can tell kami shiho destroys all these types of escapes.
    *Edit

OK, forgot which section this was.

There is nothing wrong with those moves, you just need to apply them at the right time. It's best to use the "Out the Back" escape when the opponent has his hips high and leaning towards your head.

You also need to employ a bridge and/or a reverse shrimp (see bellow) to create space and generate enough momentum to turn into your opponent.

Notice his arm scooping upward, getting that movement will help you get out.

The move also works best as a surprise or a 2nd escape, usually. It also works a lot better during no gi.
    Last edited by CoffeeFan; 3/09/2013 6:59pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2013 6:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Almost, a pretty new brown belt in judo. What makes you think I still have gills?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2013 7:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. What your saying makes sense. I figured I was missing some details. I roll with bjj guys once or sometimes twice a week and admittedly they are much more mobile than me, but I stuff a lot of that with top control and pins. I'm trying to get more accustom to mobility and it was an honest question. I FOR SURE am a white belt on Internet posting though. It makes sense these escapes might work better no gi and ill keep that it mind.

Posted On:
    3/09/2013 7:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Almost, a pretty new brown belt in judo. What makes you think I still have gills?
    Honestly? Your post made it sound like you didn't have some finer details.

Posted On:
    3/09/2013 7:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. What your saying makes sense. I figured I was missing some details. I roll with bjj guys once or sometimes twice a week and admittedly they are much more mobile than me, but I stuff a lot of that with top control and pins. I'm trying to get more accustom to mobility and it was an honest question. I FOR SURE am a white belt on Internet posting though. It makes sense these escapes might work better no gi and ill keep that it mind.
    It's good you cross train other grappling styles. It usually gives you someone with a totally different game plan to work with.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2013 7:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    Honestly? Your post made it sound like you didn't have some finer details.
    Your right about that. Ill try to keep an open mind about techniques. I'll try playing around with it with some added details you described and from the video. I still think they will be in a last ditch category for me. But hey I've been wrong about many things.

Posted On:
    3/10/2013 7:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your right about that. Ill try to keep an open mind about techniques. I'll try playing around with it with some added details you described and from the video. I still think they will be in a last ditch category for me. But hey I've been wrong about many things.
    I also like to use this escape when someone has me in side control (Kesa-gatame). My initial escape is where you post against his neck and try to throw your leg over his head. Most people lean their head forward when you try this, making the reverse shrimp a perfect second escape.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2013 8:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok I never thought about that escape from kesa. My first one for kesa is almost always shrimp to make space then driving my knee under their but to get my hips under there's and then taking them over once loaded on my hip. Second is trying to get my arm back so I have mobility to trap their legs with mine (either to stretch them out for reversal or holding to break up osae Komi) or once I have my arm back go out the back. Then I try hooking the head with my leg and other things. Here is the escape to darce I was talking about. Yeah I pretty much don't know how to add a link so I hope you can get to the video. I just picked a random one, the first one I saw on YouTube so I don't even know who it is in the video. I see in that video he blocks the head and shoulder, but so did my friend when he showed me. I'm still not sure what stops someone from transitioning to kami shiho.